User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

iTunes Back Up

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iTunes Back Up
jcampa

2006-08-10, 16:23

This may be a dumb question, but the answer for me it's very important. What's the best and correct way to back up all my music library? I'm selling my PB and I have tons of songs and videos from the ITMS I don't want to loose, I have an external HD, so what do I have to do?

Also, can I back up all my videos from the store to a DVD? I've heard you can't burn them to a CD or DVD.

Thanks.
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2006-08-10, 16:29

Here are a few different methods: http://playlistmag.com/secrets/2006/...list/index.php

I think the easiest way is to "Consolidate Library" which will move all of your music to the iTunes folder. Then just move the whole iTunes folder to your spare hard drive. That way you also get the xml file that has your play lists, etc.
jcampa

2006-08-10, 16:36

Thank you very much jdcsfu, very interesting.
initialsBB

2006-08-10, 18:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcfsu
Here are a few different methods: http://playlistmag.com/secrets/2006/...list/index.php

I think the easiest way is to "Consolidate Library" which will move all of your music to the iTunes folder. Then just move the whole iTunes folder to your spare hard drive. That way you also get the xml file that has your play lists, etc.
or what you could do is go to your iTunes prefs, set the library folder to somewhere on your external drive and then consolidate... saves you having to manually copy over the files and lets you continue using itunes on your mac until you sell it (anything you add will go directly to your external HD)
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2006-08-10, 18:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by initialsBB
or what you could do is go to your iTunes prefs, set the library folder to somewhere on your external drive and then consolidate... saves you having to manually copy over the files and lets you continue using itunes on your mac until you sell it (anything you add will go directly to your external HD)
Nice idea. Saves a step. I hadn't thought of that.
msriotdoll

2006-08-11, 00:54

thats what i do and it works like a charm. i know that my music is backed up all the time.
if you have a .mac account you can automatically backup any purchased songs as well.
which i do too

edited for spelling.
jcampa

2006-08-11, 08:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by initialsBB
But the external HD has to be connected all the time? Or it only updates when it's connect? Thanks
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2006-08-11, 08:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcampa
But the external HD has to be connected all the time? Or it only updates when it's connect? Thanks
Yeah, if you want to listen to iTunes you'll need to leave the external drive connected.
xionja

2006-08-11, 09:32

Another Question: I'm also switching computers soon, so if I do this consolidate library into a folder on an external drive, how do I copy it onto the new computers hard drive, and make it the iTunes library? thanks for any answer!
jcampa

2006-08-11, 09:33

Ok, then my music it's only linked to my PB, so I can't listen to it when the HD it's not connected, I don't listen music in my computer, (just my iPod) so theres no problem, but for example:

I back up my music in my external HD (all the music backed up), so I have the same music in the HD and my PB, then I download more content from the ITMS (so now, I have more music in my PB than in the HD), when I connect the HD again, it will update the music library automatically, or I have to do it manually?