Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

Question about sharing printer through OS X

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Question about sharing printer through OS X
markw10
Awaiting Email Confirmation

2007-01-15, 00:06

I have been with Windows for years and just bought my first mac, a C2D MBP a couple months ago. Later this year I plan to upgrade my main desktop computer which I use as a server to a Mac Pro. I currently have a Brother printer/copier/fax machine combo that is hooked up to my Windows XP desktop and set up to share across the network which works great when printing from my MBP through the network. When I switch this over to OS X will I still be able to share it across the network? It is a USB printer.
One reason I ask this is I'm very interested in the new airport express base station. The only thing I dont' like is it doesn't support gigabit LAN. Yet I figure one way around that is to get the Mac Pro with Wi-Fi installed which I assume (I'm waiting for next generation) will have n networking. That'll take care of the 100mbps bottleneck. I am looking at other brands of routers though which in many cases include gigabit lan. They don't include the usb port though which I'm very interested in for the printer.
danielsza

Send a message via AIM to danielsza Send a message via MSN to danielsza  
2007-01-15, 01:01

Sharing printers will work across the network, just fine. OS X uses Bonjour once your printer is shared it will show up on all other Mac's on your network.
markw10
Awaiting Email Confirmation

2007-01-15, 01:13

Will it still show up on Windows PC's or only macs? I have one other desktop windows pc. In a worse case I can do without the printer on that computer but would prefer it be there.
chris e boy

2007-01-15, 08:28

yep. Printer sharing works fine for Windows too
euain

2007-01-15, 08:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by markw10 View Post
Yet I figure one way around that is to get the Mac Pro with Wi-Fi installed which I assume (I'm waiting for next generation) will have n networking.
No need to wait. From the "Performance" page of Airport Extreme on the apple website:
Quote:
All Mac computers with Intel Core 2 Duo and Intel Xeon processors except the 17-inch iMac with 1.83GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor support the 802.11n technology in AirPort Extreme. These 802.11n-compatible Mac systems require enabler software that is included on the AirPort Extreme CD.
Well, you might have other reasons to wait.. but the 802.11n is there already.
danielsza

Send a message via AIM to danielsza Send a message via MSN to danielsza  
2007-01-15, 09:13

You can install Bonjour for windows, to make it easier to share the printer.