User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

iTunes 9: Genius Mixes, Improved Syncing, Home Sharing, Redesigned Store, iTunes LP

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iTunes 9: Genius Mixes, Improved Syncing, Home Sharing, Redesigned Store, iTunes LP
Page 2 of 4 Previous 1 [2] 3 4  Next Thread Tools
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2009-09-09, 14:22

How are you all getting iTunes 9? It's not showing up in my Software Update or going through iTunes itself and checking for updates. I either get "your machine is up to date" or "this version of iTunes (8.2.1) is the latest version").

Are you just downloading it directly from the iTunes page at Apple's site?

EDIT: Yeah, nevermind. That's what I'm doing now. It's still not showing up on any of the automatic update thingies (system or iTunes level).
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2009-09-09, 14:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
Are you just downloading it directly from the iTunes page at Apple's site?
Yeah, that's what I ended up doing after I noticed the same thing as you. I think they're deliberately stalling software update deployment so that there's not too much traffic. (Or perhaps they're staging it, putting it on some servers earlier than others.)
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2009-09-09, 14:41

Allow me to suggest the new super-subtle, slightly 3Dish iTunes UI, will become the default UI for OS X with 10.7. It's fairly slick, I must say.

...into the light of a dark black night.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-09-09, 14:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogs View Post
Allow me to suggest the new super-subtle, slightly 3Dish iTunes UI, will become the default UI for OS X with 10.7. It's fairly slick, I must say.
But we just got 10.6! Is this iTunes UI going to look weird and out of place for two full years (or whatever)?

By the time we get 10.7 we'll be on iTunes 11, which probably introduce yet another "new look" and so on.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2009-09-09, 14:47

Well, it looks fine, sure. But now it doesn't look like the rest of the system. I thought the whole point of Snow Leopard was to unify some of this scraggly, mismatched stuff?

Every time they get close, they'll pick an app (usually one of the key iApps) and go throw some new, WTF?! interface on it that looks like nothing else.

They were getting so close to everything actually looking like it was from the same company/design team. And now this...

That gradient in the iTunes 9 header (where the display window, buttons and search field reside) is quite strong. Almost to the point of making me look up at it, again and again.

BTW, I used to click the far right "+" button to make my iTunes window go down to a small, horizontal "widget"-like format (where I can just see the display window and controls). When I click that "+" button now, the screen gets bigger than it already is. And when I click the "-", of course, it simply genies itself down to the dock.

Have we lost the ability, in iTunes 9, to make a small "sliver window"? Or am I just doing something stupid and obvious?

kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2009-09-09, 14:53

Gruber talked about it yesterday, and he predicted right.

iTunes 9 is using WebKit.

Linky. It's fireballed right now, but I've gotten it to load a few times.

In Gruber's prediction post yesterday, he talked about the future of iTunes. The app needs a complete rewrite and everyone knows it. The easiest way to do it would be to use WebKit to do the UI, which iTunes 9 appears to do.

Doing it in WebKit would allow it to work cross platform. I'm interested to hear more about this in the next few days.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2009-09-09, 14:54

Well if there's a sound, legit reason to do so, then fine. But this gradient is still demanding all my attention. I'm going to put some masking tape on my iMac's display...

chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2009-09-09, 15:03

Quote:
BTW, I used to click the far right "+" button to make my iTunes window go down to a small, horizontal "widget"-like format (where I can just see the display window and controls). When I click that "+" button now, the screen gets bigger than it already is. And when I click the "-", of course, it simply genies itself down to the dock.

Have we lost the ability, in iTunes 9, to make a small "sliver window"? Or am I just doing something stupid and obvious?

Just hold the option key when clicking.
chucker

2009-09-09, 15:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieran View Post
Gruber talked about it yesterday, and he predicted right.

iTunes 9 is using WebKit.
No, he predicted that the whole UI would be done in WebKit, and so far, I'm fairly sure the use of WebKit is constrained to the new Store UI.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2009-09-09, 15:06

Yikes, pressing the "+" button no longer switches to the mini player!!!!!
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2009-09-09, 15:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
See chucker post above.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2009-09-09, 15:09

Quote:

Are you making fun of me?

Chucker says hold the Option key. And he's right.

Or, under the View menu (I just saw this, after poking around a bit), there's a "Switch to/from Mini Player" option/toggle (Shift+Command+M)
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2009-09-09, 15:14

How do I make a Genius mix? iTunes help says it should show up under the Genius category in the sources list, but I don't see it.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2009-09-09, 15:17

Quote:

Are you making fun of me?

Chucker says hold the Option key. And he's right.

Or, under the View menu (I just saw this, after poking around a bit), there's a "Switch to/from Mini Player" option/toggle (Shift+Command+M)
Missed that, its still dumb. I liked the way it worked before, damn catering to Windows users.
chucker

2009-09-09, 15:20

Quote:
Missed that, its still dumb. I liked the way it worked before, damn catering to Windows users.
Not sure what Windows has to do with it, since it has no zoom button at all. The way it worked before was, strictly speaking, incorrect — the zoom button is supposed to toggle between the ideal size and your custom size, and not between two entirely different windows.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2009-09-09, 15:21

Point is, I liked the way it worked, "correct" or not, and now, IMO it is broken.
chucker

2009-09-09, 15:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraetos View Post
How do I make a Genius mix? iTunes help says it should show up under the Genius category in the sources list, but I don't see it.
OMG I SPOTTED TWO TYPOS.

Quote:
To play a Genius Mix:
On the left side of the iTunes window 9below Genius), click Genius Mixes.
To start playling a Genius Mix, double-click one of the mixes.
In all seriousness, I can't get it to work either. But I clicked "Update Genius" and got a Store request error, so I assume they're still working on this.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-09-09, 15:23

Nonono, chucker. It's iTunes 9, launched on 09/09/09. They're just throwing extra 9s around, for decoration. It's kind of like confetti.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-09-09, 15:29

Can someone with iTunes 9 click the About button to bring up the legalese and see if it mentions Blu-ray in the trademarks section?
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2009-09-09, 15:30

It does.
chucker

2009-09-09, 15:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman View Post
Nonono, chucker. It's iTunes 9, launched on 09/09/09. They're just throwing extra 9s around, for decoration. It's kind of like confetti.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-09-09, 15:36

Quote:
It does.
Wait, seriously? You're not just yanking my chain? ZOMG BLUE-RAI CONFORMED!!1
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2009-09-09, 15:41

No yanking. It is there.

kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2009-09-09, 15:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
No, he predicted that the whole UI would be done in WebKit, and so far, I'm fairly sure the use of WebKit is constrained to the new Store UI.
Thanks for the correction.

So in his post, he was saying the entire UI would be built on WebKit, not just the ITMS? How would that work?
chucker

2009-09-09, 15:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieran View Post
Thanks for the correction.

So in his post, he was saying the entire UI would be built on WebKit, not just the ITMS? How would that work?
Well, that's how I read it.

http://daringfireball.net/2009/09/rock_and_roll_prelude

Quote:
So here’s my pet theory: at some point iTunes will be rewritten using WebKit to render the UI. I’m not saying iTunes will become a web browser — just that the UI itself will be a WebKit view. WebKit is cross-platform and built for the future.
No mention of the Store, nor am I taking it out of context.

Apple could do this, sure. (Consider Palm webOS.)
Swox
OK Mr. Sunshine!

2009-09-09, 15:57

Is there a new trippy visualizer in it? WTF is with you guys talking about all this other crap?! There's only one reason to get new versions of iTunes, and that's an upgrade to the trippyness.

Do not be oppressed by the forces of ignorance and delusion! But rise up now with resolve and courage! Entranced by ignorance, from beginningless time until now, You have had more than enough time to sleep. So do not slumber any longer, but strive after virtue with body, speech, and mind!
Swox
OK Mr. Sunshine!

2009-09-09, 15:59

Oh, and it's in software update now, and downloaded pretty fast for me.
Bonn89

2009-09-09, 17:13

The last iTunes update's UI looked amazing, compared to my other windows.

The last iTunes update's UI matched Snow Leopard's other window due to the gamma change.

The new iTunes UI chrome/fonts/window backgrounds/hightlights/EVERYTHING are BEYOND FUGLY.

I may almost revert to iTunes 8.
Wrao
Yarp

2009-09-09, 17:22

Not a big fan of the new iTunes design. Reminds me of Windows trying to be OS X. But, there is nothing wrong with it functionally(that I have encountered at least) so I don't really mind.
Iago

2009-09-09, 17:23

A mighty 1.1KB/sec here! Woo! 20 hours, 34 minutes remaining!