User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

iTunes 9: Genius Mixes, Improved Syncing, Home Sharing, Redesigned Store, iTunes LP

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iTunes 9: Genius Mixes, Improved Syncing, Home Sharing, Redesigned Store, iTunes LP
Page 3 of 4 Previous 1 2 [3] 4  Next Thread Tools
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2009-09-09, 17:32

Glad you guys warned me about the new iTunes skin. I'll zip up my current copy before installing.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2009-09-09, 17:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iago View Post
A mighty 1.1KB/sec here! Woo! 20 hours, 34 minutes remaining!
Are you on a dial-up, pedal-powered coconut/twig modem or something?
Iago

2009-09-09, 17:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
Are you on a dial-up, pedal-powered coconut/twig modem or something?
I'm at my folks' place, a far cry from the heady 20Mbit Cable connection I get where I live They have crummy broadband, and my Father, in his wisdom, put the wireless router downstairs, despite all the computers in the house being upstairs. Transmission gets a reasonable if not brilliant 50kb/s up here, so it's probably just Software Update being shit. I'm quite impressed by it really, this spare bedroom is above the drawing room which is bloody miles away from the router. My entitlement syndrome doesn't stretch as far as complaining about the invisible internet access I get being slow

I'm Joseph Fritzl, and no windows was my idea.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2009-09-09, 18:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Glad you guys warned me about the new iTunes skin. I'll zip up my current copy before installing.

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-09-09, 18:28

Why are the bottoms of the red/yellow/green buttons squared off?
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2009-09-09, 18:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman View Post
Why are the bottoms of the red/yellow/green buttons squared off?
Squared off buttons are the least of iTunes 9's problems.

Why, oh, why does Apple have to make the basic interface progressively worse with every release of iTunes? Sure, some things improve with each release, but it always feels like a "two steps forward, three steps back" kind of situation.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Swox
OK Mr. Sunshine!

2009-09-09, 18:39

I don't care for it much either. Is there any way to re-skin it with the old ones?
gsxrboy

2009-09-09, 20:32

Argh, the stupid genre in the browser is back again! and the -

defaults write com.apple.iTunes show-genre-when-browsing -bool FALSE

doesn't seem to work.. anyone found the work around or did it work for you.
MBHockey
skates=grafs

2009-09-09, 21:27

I HATE genre view.
Motor

2009-09-09, 21:55

You can nest logical connectives in smart playlists now.

For example you can do:

That will give top rated songs where the genre is either rock or alternative.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2009-09-09, 21:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsxrboy View Post
Argh, the stupid genre in the browser is back again! and the -

defaults write com.apple.iTunes show-genre-when-browsing -bool FALSE

doesn't seem to work.. anyone found the work around or did it work for you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBHockey View Post
I HATE genre view.
Is this what you're looking for?
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2009-09-10, 00:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swox View Post
I don't care for it much either. Is there any way to re-skin it with the old ones?
So, I peeked in the iTunes package and it looks like it keeps all of its theme/skin images in a flat resource file. They've been doing this since 1.0. I guess if it ain't broke...

Anyhow, it looks like the window gradient and controls are in there. So, one could change them in a similar manner as with previous versions with a resource editor.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2009-09-10, 12:26

Random notes:

Home Sharing: Like! Still haven't tested with multiple iTunes Store accounts. (Really really wish there were a way to tie this to MobileMe family accounts as an option, so that there was a concept of 'a family' where all accounts could inter-mix... may not be an issue though, we'll see.) Basic functionality is pretty slick, although the auto-sync is limited to *PURCHASED* items, and only one way. If I purchase anything on my laptop, it gets auto-pushed to the home media server, but not the other way around. Also, I don't see how to handle playlists in any sort of reasonable fashion. Seems to be files only. Bummer. Usability win however: bottom left, flip "All Files" pop up to "Items not on this computer". Instant filtering to see what you don't have locally. Awesome. I wonder if this feature is scriptable at all? If so, huzzah, simple syncing in the bag. (Probably not. )

WebKit: Gruber was half right. iTunes9 is still a 32-bit Carbon app, but the iTunes Store is now (all? mostly?) straight up HTML5 being rendered through WebKit. There is no native client-side store UI, it's *all* being fed from the servers. This is both a great move and a great testbed, as well as (assuming it works well) a great piece of PR for "no, really, HTML5 is usable". Love it.

File -> Library -> Organize Library: Yay!
ime_NY

2009-09-10, 12:32

I tried my hand at home sharing but ran into an iTunes store account snafu: apparently I had some DRM'ed music under a second iTunes account (AOL), and now Apple is telling me to change that second account................

Anyone know if I can combine my primary (MobileMe) account with the AOL one?

I'd like to let you all know how home sharing works with 2 macs and a windows machine
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2009-09-10, 12:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
WebKit: Gruber was half right. iTunes9 is still a 32-bit Carbon app, but the iTunes Store is now (all? mostly?) straight up HTML5 being rendered through WebKit.
It's XHTML 1.1 + PList XML, actually. The one page I fetched was, anyway.

Quote:
There is no native client-side store UI, it's *all* being fed from the servers.
That's been the case since the beginning in April 2003. What's new is the switch from a custom XML dialect to XHTML+PList, and the switch from a custom engine to WebKit. The Store UI has always been entirely downloaded.

Quote:
This is both a great move and a great testbed, as well as (assuming it works well) a great piece of PR for "no, really, HTML5 is usable". Love it.
I've only tried with one page, but that one definitely wasn't HTML5 (nor XHTML5), according to its doctype.

(edit) Tried two more pages. In all cases, it first sends a property list, then an XHTML 1.1 document (incorrectly as text/html for no apparent reason) with PList intermingled.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2009-09-10, 14:31

Wait, you did *experiments*!?! Dear god man, are you trying to single-handedly destroy the rumor blogosphere with your truthiness?? You *CAD*.

I stand corrected. Not HTML5. Mea culpa.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2009-09-10, 15:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
Wait, you did *experiments*!?! Dear god man, are you trying to single-handedly destroy the rumor blogosphere with your truthiness?? You *CAD*.
I know the intarwebz are a fact-free zone, but still!
MBHockey
skates=grafs

2009-09-10, 17:31

Quote:
Is this what you're looking for?
You are awesome. I didn't even look for it because it seems that Apple has been insisting on making us use Genre view for the past few big iterations of iTunes.

Thanks
Axl

2009-09-10, 19:33

Quote:

Wow! That's beautiful.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2009-09-10, 19:49

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axl View Post
Wow! That's beautiful.
Actually, shouldn't it be:

Note the colors...

Yes, I need some sleep.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2009-09-10, 20:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
Actually, shouldn't it be:

How appropriate. Well played, Paul. Well played.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2009-09-10, 20:03

Quote:
You are awesome. I didn't even look for it because it seems that Apple has been insisting on making us use Genre view for the past few big iterations of iTunes.

Thanks
Yeah, I actually found that menu because my browser defaulted to the left position with only the artists column enabled. So, I was just trying to find out how you guys even had the old top position one!

gsxrboy

2009-09-10, 21:02

I just found it today as well, when I was showing someone how to change it back to the top view. Thanks anyway
joveblue
Veteran Member

2009-09-10, 21:20

Quote:

Thanks
I didn't even realise there was any such thing as column view in iTunes til now

Anyway I'm glad I'm not the only one who instantly noticed how ghastly the new iTunes looks, especially the play controls

P.S. ARGH the position indicator in the scrubber is WHITE, WTF???
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2009-09-10, 21:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by joveblue View Post
I didn't even realise there was any such thing as column view in iTunes til now
Previously it was called "browser" view. It used to have its very own button, but iTunes 8 (IIRC) relegated its activation solely to a menu item.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joveblue View Post
P.S. ARGH the position indicator in the scrubber is WHITE, WTF???
And the fill from the playback track is the opposite of the fill for the volume track; one has dark/light for full/empty and the other has light/dark.

What what whaat?! /Mrs. Broflovski

torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2009-09-10, 21:39

Safari 4.0.3 is required to use the store now? Ugh. I really don't like having to restart my computer for a freakin' browser update.

Oh, and can I just say how freakin' cool the genius mix thing is? I just turned it on and I'm impressed with the "stations".

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2009-09-10, 21:40

Quote:
Previously it was called "browser" view. It used to have its very own button, but iTunes 8 (IIRC) relegated its activation solely to a menu item.

And the fill from the playback track is the opposite of the fill for the volume track; one has dark/light for full/empty and the other has light/dark.

What what whaat?! /Mrs. Broflovski
cmd + b has always worked for the browser view - which also has been my default view in iTunes for years. I always browse my music one of those 3 ways.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2009-09-10, 21:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
Safari 4.0.3 is required to use the store now? Ugh. I really don't like having to restart my computer for a freakin' browser update.
Well, that's one way to force people into the latest version of Safari...
joveblue
Veteran Member

2009-09-10, 21:56

http://static.maniacalrage.net/bucket/itunes/: UI Comparison
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2009-09-10, 21:59

Quote:
Well, that's one way to force people into the latest version of Safari...
It's more about the restarting than the updating. Whenever some software wants me to restart after I install it, I think of Windows.