Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Transferring files via Ethernet or FireWire

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Transferring files via Ethernet or FireWire
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2005-06-11, 22:54

I got a new mac and now I have to get my files off a loaner mac. I do not have a firewire and do not have any firewire device.

So I use ethernet instead. I go to mac help and get this.

Quote:
You can use an Ethernet cable to connect two Macintosh computers and share files or play network games.

Connect an Ethernet cable from the Ethernet port of one computer to the Ethernet port on the other.
Open Sharing preferences on both computers and turn on Personal File Sharing. Note the Computer Name for the computers.
On one of the computers, choose Go > Connect To Server and then click Browse.
Double-click the other computer in the window and enter your password, if necessary.
If you manually configured the TCP/IP settings for the built-in Ethernet configuration on the computer you are connecting to, you may need to enter that computer's TCP/IP address in the Connect To Server dialog.

To see or set the TCP/IP address, open Network preferences and choose your Ethernet port configuration from the Show pop-up menu (named Built-in Ethernet unless you gave it another name).
Sound simple, yes?

Well, I followed the instructions to letter. Guess what, I get squat in my network. Neither see either. Even more, the new mac say there's no ethernet cable plugged in This is a brand new ethernet and I've double checked that they're in right ports.

I've tried manually setting IP, Appletalk, PPP, and whatnots. Still no success... This file I need to get is 15 MB and I'm on a dialup so emailing myself is no go as well...

Soooo... what did I do wrong?
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2005-06-11, 23:02

Finally figured it out.

The old mac is too old, and requires a crossover or a hub, which is why I got nothing....

I rechecked the help file. Apparently they forgot to note the need for crossover.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2005-06-11, 23:14

Yeah, most ethernet jacks now automatically note if it is a crossover or not and logically switch to the one needed. Kind of nice actually, I am using a crossover cable now on my home network since I ran out of cables.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2005-06-11, 23:20

Did some more looking

Seems that in 68k time, it was possible to connect two macs via modem to modem and even via printer cable (!).

But it is not supported in os x apparently.

This really is one time thing and difficult for me to justify going to a store for a lousy piece of cable.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2005-06-11, 23:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana
This really is one time thing and difficult for me to justify going to a store for a lousy piece of cable.
Well think of it this way, you'll have the cable incase you go to a hotel that makes you buy your own for twice the price. Then again why not see if you can borrow one from someone at your office or something like that. I know crossover cables aren't the norm, but you could ask if you really don't want to pay the small price for one.
Tony

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
pmazer

Send a message via AIM to pmazer  
2005-06-11, 23:56

You could also always make your own
mama's left eye

2005-06-12, 08:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmazer
You could also always make your own
That's the best way, I think. Get a pair of crimpers, connectors and a roll of cable and you'll be set for anything you need. They take all of 5 minutes to make and you can make them any length you want.

It is better to be judged by twelve than to be carried by six.
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2005-06-13, 19:50

Ok.

I decided to buy a firewire cable. After checking w the guy @ store for right one, I come home and use migration assistant to set up the target disk mode.

Well, when I got to when I have to restart the old mac, pressing T did squat. After poking around, it seems that Profiler says there is nothing on firewire on either computer. I even tried to do it in reverse, booting thr new imac which worked, but the old mac wouldn't see it. Period.

I repaired the permission as explained in FAQ, via singleuser moode, and looked for any updates via SW updater and on apple.com and googled; didn't seem to be any updates (old mac is 10.1.5, new is 10.4)

I guess this leaves me to those:

Cable is defective (unlikely as it is brand new and appeared to be in good condition)
FW card on old mac or even on new mac is broken (how do I check, since I have no other FW devices?)
10.1.5 is missing the needed support

Any help would be appreciated....
Ebby
Subdued and Medicated

Send a message via AIM to Ebby  
2005-06-13, 20:00

What is your old computer? I believe if you are using OS 9 you need at least 9 and updated firewire extensions. I don't think anything pre-G3 can use target disk mode. If you use OS X, it should work. make sure your keyboard is plugged in directly to your computer (not through a USB hub or PCI card) and if your Mac uses ADB, bring out the old keyboard and use that. (USB keyboards don't work with my Beige G3 pre-startup)

May I suggest a little 128MB thumb drive for like 20 bucks. It is perfect for applications just like this.

^^ One more quality post from the desk of Ebby. ^^
SSBA | SmockBogger | SporkNET
ast3r3x
25 chars of wasted space.

Send a message via AIM to ast3r3x  
2005-06-13, 20:15

So...normally transferring from mac to mac or mac to pc in my house goes at about 1-1.5mbps. We all have 10/100 ethernet...because that is my routers max, my brother and I have gigabit of course.

However, when transferring to the xbox (avalaunch), there is an option called 'boost mode'. When this is on we can transfer stuff to the xbox very fast. 1.36gb in ~2min fast. Now I know that it doesn't breach the max bandwidth of the 100mbit ethernet, but isn't that really fast? I have never been able to transfer things that fast over ethernet cables. What gives? How can enabling something like that make it so so much faster?
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2005-06-14, 13:22

For those who's in same situation as I am, here's some documents to look up-

How to use Firewire Target Mode

Some computers require hot plugging

Computer Does not enter into Firewire Mode

Will go and try those. Hopefully will fix whatever is making the old imac loopy.
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2005-06-14, 22:57

*UPDATE*

*sighs* The more I know about the loaner iMac, the more loopy I find it to be.

As explained above, the iMac won't boot into Target mode, so I checked the tech article in my previous post regarding this issue. I've exhausted all, except for one; Open Firmware. So,

I download Open Firmware, only to get a message that the firmware is too old, that I need Firmware 4.1.7 or above. All righty, I go to Apple to get it updated, download Firmware 4.1.9. Run the installer in OS 9, only to be told that this is wrong model. Okay, back to the website; try Firmware 1.2; and install it only to get a message that the installer cannot recongize the Firmware and won't install, possibly because there's a newer version.

Time for a closer examination. I check the System Profiler carefully, find Machine ID=406, run a search in Apple specifications; only to find that by ID, the iMac should be a (five flavor; it's tangerine) 233 mhz G3 iMac, with 32-128 MB. Well, according to the Profiler, it's a 600 mhz G3, with 256 MB RAM.

The Profiler also says there's a Firewire bus, but the Tech Specs is silent on whether this model should have one or not. The space is just blank. I guess it was a BTO? (FYI, there is only one firewire port). I checked the Firewire version, and OS 9 says its 2.8.9 something so it's updated as it possibly could be...

and still won't boot in Target mode.... I even tried to boot the new iMac in target mode while I was on OS 9, booting the old iMac into target with network disk designated as startup disk. No go...

I'm totally stumped. Help!

EDIT= yes, I also tried hot plugging.
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2005-06-15, 00:13

sounds like your loaner is an older model that's had an upgraded processor installed.

does the CD drive on the front of the old iMac use a tray, or is it slot-loading?

anyway, I'd try using just the FW cable in the new iMac (other end NOT connected) and booting the new iMac into Target Disk Mode. If it boots up, then you can plug it into the FW on the old iMac and it should mount.
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2005-06-15, 00:41

Its tray loading.

I did try booting the new iMac in target mode but not with the other end unconnected. Ill give it a try.

I had it figured that it was upgraded, but just couldn't get why the tech specs were silent on # of FW ports, and that it caps at 128 MB ram when it has 256 MB. *shrugs* if they're not revelent, then fine.
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2005-06-15, 01:49

*SUCCESS*

Finally got the files moved. I'm happy camper now.

That said, it was weird that in OS 10.1.5, nothing happened. However, in OS 9.2 it worked perfectly, just exactly as FFL instructed.

Most likely a glitch or bug somewhere in this OS 10.1.5... Funny considering that its all updated and that stuff.

EDIT= can mod please modify the title of this thread to accurately reflect the latest development and thus make it accessible for search? TIA

Last edited by Banana : 2005-06-15 at 02:12.