Password
AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

cleaning out my closet. . .

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
cleaning out my closet. . .
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
xionja

2004-08-15, 15:52

and I found. . . a lotta iPod accesories.

I have everything that comes with a top of the line iPod, minus the iPod, earphones, and carrying case. This in includes the dock, a little wall charger, (normal electricity socket to firewire), a little nifty firewire converter,(little firewire [digitalcamcorders,PC laptops] to normal firewire) and various documentation and iPod install CD. and those little air sealed ear bud fuzzy covers. and some little white colored pieces of plastic.

Yes folks, all of that can be yours. if you want it. I can't imagine any real use for it. . . but hey some people really like apple stuff.

Here's the deal. Anyone who is interested in being shipped all of that for free can write me a little short story or essay concerning contemporary social issues or politics. Yep yep, whoevers the best gets a whole buncha crap in the mail!

oh yeah, a 500 word minimum
Eugene
careful with axes

2004-08-15, 16:19

I'm sorry momma. I didn't mean to hurt you. I didn't mean to make you cry.
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2004-08-15, 23:24

When's the due date on your assignment? Which subject should the essay fit?
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2004-08-15, 23:38

As an American in today’s world it requires constant learning, attention to major issues, and a using my power as much as possible for the benefit of others and myself—if you chose to participate in the democracy.

There is the usual expressive, majoritarian, and adversarial way to debate in which people get into these heated debates filled with emotion and chaos. There is also the deliberative, intelligent, and consistent method for deliberating, although rare, is definitely more realistic and effective. The reason that the second style of debate is more effective is because, as Godkin said, “No one ever talks freely about anything without contributing something…”

Using the issue of the death penalty, for example: Once a framework is in place, it promotes a deliberative style of reasoning and debate, drawing people closer to a final and conclusive decision about how to handle an issue. Almost any topic for political discussion and just about any argument can be framed a certain way to promote the agenda of a specific person or group. Knowing how to recognize where the someone’s stance on an issue is coming from and why is important, because then issue framing becomes a political tool; only effective if you know how to both use and recognize it.

Leaders execute and deliver on the ideas of many, but they are carried out by one. The three rules from “The Prince” state that the leader must first act boldly because of the public’s short attention span, make the number one priority the protection of power, and to appear steadfast but be flexible. Machiavelli says that without these things you are useless as a leader. Leadership in a democracy such as ours, with the three branches of government, can only be effective if done either by being honest and good or by being secretly manipulative while looking like you are being honest. Because if there is a doubt raised about your actions as a leader in our democracy, the system is set up so that your power will be stripped away if people become disenfranchised or untrusting of you.

I have learned valuable and meaningful things that relate to how I can be a better American. Knowing that the United States beats every other country in terms of operational metrics doesn’t mean there isn’t vast room for improvement, policy still needs to be refined in our system, which is something a lot of people don’t care about or take seriously. There is far too much short sightedness in politics and the people, both preferring quick fixes instead of long-term solutions. The way to solve the problem of complacency among the populous is to educate them on how the current system is actually negatively and positively affecting them. If only people knew what was wrong, then maybe they’d want to fix it. Personally, I’m optimistic and think that if people understand that there is a problem then they will really try to create better situations and solutions for themselves.

In today’s world the small issues can have the greatest effect on the common person, and the common person has the power only when it is enacted, without action there is no reaction. Going forth into the world, knowing how to do things like identifying issues and examining them closely is a skill that cant be overstated. It is almost just as bad to be informed but silent as it is to be active and uninformed. If only everyone would have the motivation to care (idealistically, hopefully that will happen with time) then the country would be a lot better off. There would be less over simplification of the issues, less “politics as usual”, and more of the good and empowered “new thinking” citizens…and that would make all the difference in the world…

PS, that's 644 words in length.

"We are reviewing some 9,000 recent UNHCR referrals from Syria. We are receiving roughly a thousand new ones each month, and we expect admissions from Syria to surge in 2015 and beyond." - Anne C. Richard, Assistant Secretary, Bureau of Population, Refugees, and Migration

Last edited by Messiahtosh : 2004-08-15 at 23:44.
Eugene
careful with axes

2004-08-15, 23:45

Messiah, I didn't read your essay, but it was horrible.
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2004-08-15, 23:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene
?
Mac+
9" monochrome

2004-08-16, 00:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene
M'tosh - not laughing at you ... laughing with Eugene!
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2004-08-16, 00:46

I don't have time (or inclination) to fully copy edit the essay.
Run-on sentences, subject/verb disagreement, and other structural hurdles make for bumpy reading. Reads like a random sprinkling of jargon in places, and misuse of vocabulary suggests cutting and pasting out of context.

No criticism of Messiahtosh, but it just seems like hurried writing in need of critical review.
Simplify, spend more time connecting points logically, and trim multiple instances of words that probably don't fit there in the first place. If in doubt, take it out.

Last edited by curiousuburb : 2004-08-16 at 00:52.
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2004-08-16, 00:49

If she wants to edit it, she can. I'm not up for it, and it's not bad writing, just not formatted properly or editted.

Whatever :smokey:
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-08-16, 08:26

Ass kisser. I wouldn't go through so much grief for a few iPod doodads.

Something tells me Messiah is going to be the lone participant, honing and tightening his masterpiece 8-10 times in the coming week.

"I WANT those accessories, dammit. I NEED them!"

SKMDC
superkaratemonkeydeathcar

Send a message via AIM to SKMDC  
2004-08-16, 08:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messiahtosh
If she wants to edit it, she can. I'm not up for it, and it's not bad writing, just not formatted properly or editted.

Whatever :smokey:
no son, it's bad writing, i'm sorry. it's bad.
but you got a lot of words in there.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2004-08-16, 08:40

I'm a better writer than you. Then again, I have absolutely no desire to write a paper about anything, so you can have this one.

xionja, you know you can sell those on eBay? Put them all up in a bundle package and I guarantee someone will buy them. You could get $50 or $60 for it.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2004-08-16, 08:47

hell, i'll pay you $50 right now, and no e-bay fees. let me know.

although if you need a paper that badly, maybe i'll have to dust off some of my old work.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2004-08-16, 09:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca
I'm a better writer than you. Then again, I have absolutely no desire to write a paper about anything, so you can have this one.

xionja, you know you can sell those on eBay? Put them all up in a bundle package and I guarantee someone will buy them. You could get $50 or $60 for it.
I wrote that last year for a current issues class. By the way, I don't think you're a better writer than I am.
SKMDC

2004-08-16, 10:02

Quote:
I wrote that last year for a current issues class. By the way, I don't think you're a better writer than I am.
that was a paper you handed in?
sweet jesus on the cross........
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2004-08-16, 10:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by superkaratemonkeydeathcar
that was a paper you handed in?
sweet jesus on the cross........
It was a high school class, senioritis had set in by then, obviously.
ast3r3x
25 chars of wasted space.

Send a message via AIM to ast3r3x  
2004-08-16, 11:09

Quote:
It was a high school class, senioritis had set in by then, obviously.
It's ok to be a horrible writer, I am. Nothing to be ashamed of really...well I am kinda

But you fail simply because you didn't site any sources or quotes.
murbot
Hoonigan

2004-08-16, 11:12

Dude, that paper sucks ass.

Of course I'm no fancy writer-guy, and in school my favourite saying was "I ain't got no need for no english", but I can recognize shit writing easy enough.

Just like I probably couldn't throw a javelin well at all, but if I see a javelin thrower end up with the pointy end stuck in their ass, I can sort of tell that something went terribly wrong.

BTW, I'm sure this post contains at least a few grammatical errors, but I'm fine with it.
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2004-08-16, 11:33

The best band that never stayed famous, the Refreshments, brought rock and roll purity back to the mainstream. The Tempe Arizona based band formed in 1994 and put out the album (that I am evaluating) Fizzy Fuzzy Big and Buzzy in early 1996. The Refreshments only ever released two major studio albums, and disbanded in 1998 due to a management shakeup at their label. The new management decided not to promote the Refreshments and ultimately that neglect resulted in the deterioration of one of the most exciting bands in years.

Roger Clyne (second guitar and lead vocalist) wove quirky tales of the desert life, girl chasing, beer drinking, and late nights into his lyrics, complete with quick guitar hooks, as well as unforgettable melodies. The 12 song, nearly hour long CD is my personal favorite album ever, if for no other reason than that it was a remarkable achievement for what it didn’t do, as much for what it did do. During the early 90’s the mainstream rock music scene was the “grunge Nirvana and Pearl Jam style” that led to endless copycats, leaving the rock world very bland and lacking any unique qualities. Much like their name, the Refreshments were a refreshing blend of sound, thrown into the chaotic wasteland of the rock scene at the time.

This band was different, they did their own thing and forgot to care about what anyone else around them was doing, relying on the fact that their energetic stage performances and pure love of music would make them a success. Clyne’s lack of mainstream success is not what matters. Roger redeems the lack of financial success through just his attempt and sincerity that is obvious throughout his tunes. The music is in the same raw yet emotionally evocative vein as Tom Petty’s work, and maybe Springsteen and Mellencamp’s. In my view, Clyne’s voice trumps all three of those performers and leaves me wondering if there is currently a voice out there that can equal his rich tones, wide range, and his ability to create a world of sound around you. To hear the Refreshments is to return to a time of being carefree and having fun, the times we all have but which are stuffed so far back in our memories, we forget about them until we listen to the music.

Why then, if the music is so good, didn’t they succeed in becoming famous? Roger’s band didn’t sell anything, that’s probably why they failed commercially. They threw the idea of glamour, trend, genre, and pretentious style back at the faces of those who had come before them. Instead, they just lay out clear but dream-like ideals, through the melodic hymns that unravel as the CD spins on. We go to a place where we wish we could stay forever, where the cheap things in life are celebrated at full tilt, 'timeless' is the only descriptive word that comes to mind.

A quote from one of the lyrics in one of the album’s songs (Carefree) goes, “I can take care of everything, I can pick for you the songs that you sing, and the sights that you see, now don’t mind me, I’m carefree.” That one song encapsulates everything about the Refreshments! Put on the CD and it will take care of everything for you during its runtime. Roger sets the mood and paints a picture for the listener that is irresistible, and makes you feel wonderfully careless. And that is the job of music, to peel back the veil of insecurity, loneliness, sadness, it should help us to celebrate life. In the song Mekong, Roger belts, “as cliché as it may sound, I’d like to raise another round, and if your bottle’s empty, help yourself to mine, thank you for your time. Here’s to life!” If that isn’t Roger’s motto, I don’t know what is.

Somehow, the good music is seemingly always hidden under a rock of corporate radio programmers who don’t know what great, traditional rock music is. Fizzy Fuzzy Big and Buzzy is one very excellent album and should be played at mind numbing volume on college radio stations, and any place that the rock and roll faithful inhabit. It is music that people should play before a big date, roaring down the highway with the sunroof rolled back, just as the sun melts into the distance.

Even though the Refreshments broke up, just about every member of the quartet got back together under a new identity: Roger Clyne and the Peacemakers. Roger has put out 4 albums with that outfit (all of which are amazing but cut from a more country/rock cloth), and is gaining popularity with each release. Their latest effort, “¡Americano!” debuted at #1 on the Internet sales charts. Soon, Roger and company may have to get used to a lot more attention. If only people could discover this music, as I did on the iTunes Music Store while searching through the rock genre, then maybe people would know that if you look for great music hard enough, it exists.

"We are reviewing some 9,000 recent UNHCR referrals from Syria. We are receiving roughly a thousand new ones each month, and we expect admissions from Syria to surge in 2015 and beyond." - Anne C. Richard, Assistant Secretary, Bureau of Population, Refugees, and Migration

Last edited by Messiahtosh : 2004-08-16 at 11:42.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-08-16, 11:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0
Something tells me Messiah is going to be the lone participant, honing and tightening his masterpiece 8-10 times in the coming week.
Do I know people, or what?

Try it seven more times, M, and make me a genius! You are fearless, I've gotta give you that.

SKMDC

2004-08-16, 11:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0
Do I know people, or what?

Try it seven more times, M, and make me a genius! You are fearless, I've gotta give you that.

no, now his assault is multifaceted, bad writing, combined with his never ending promotion of roger clyne as some kind of rock savior.
i think i'm gonna take the pipe........

see pscates? i'm hostile, not angry.

"What's a Canadian farm boy to do?"
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2004-08-16, 13:35

Quote:
no, now his assault is multifaceted, bad writing, combined with his never ending promotion of roger clyne as some kind of rock savior.
i think i'm gonna take the pipe........

see pscates? i'm hostile, not angry.

By the way, that Rogert Clyne evaluation got an A for an English 15 assignment. It's amazing how that writing is so average, yet so much better than most college froshes.

SKMDC

2004-08-16, 14:41

Quote:

By the way, that Rogert Clyne evaluation got an A for an English 15 assignment. It's amazing how that writing is so average, yet so much better than most college froshes.
sweet jesus on a cross
synotic

2004-08-16, 15:05

From the 17th to 19th century, millions of Europeans migrated to North America, many looking to escape extreme poverty. Others came as refugees seeking religious and governmental freedom. These people who came from places such as Germany, France, and Africa, would not just bring themselves and their family, but an entire culture. The growing number of American immigrants led to the melting pot theory. It was believed that all of the different immigrant cultures would fuse, or melt, together into one cultural melting pot. People would no longer maintain their own identity; instead they would have a new culture, shared by the other members of the melting pot. This idea, however, is not true. America as a whole is more of a salad bowl.

When European and African emigrants came to America they were not met favorably. In fact, many immigrants were often harassed and were victims of racism. Few Americans wanted to interact with foreign immigrants and few immigrants wanted to interact with Americans. Even today, many Muslim immigrants face racial intolerance. A California man was gunned down for being Yemeni. Incidents like this increased the gap between immigrants and Americans and gave rise to segregated places such as Little Italy and Chinatown. This showed that people on both sides of the fence were resistant to change. This attitude, however, has been rapidly changing over the years. As the next generation of immigrants began to grow up, interaction with other cultures became commonplace.

Several polls have shown that young people are drastically more racially accepting than older people. These young adults often bring their own culture to America in the forms of food, fashion and language, among other things. Immigrants, being in America undoubtedly also had to adopt American culture, customs, and laws. Soon, different cultures began to overlap. Americans were eating Mexican food; Mexicans were eating American food. However, Mexican people are still eating Mexican food. Though different cultures are interacting, they are not losing their old culture.

Today, everywhere you look you can see culturally different people interacting with other people. With growing education and exposure people are less afraid of people different than themselves. People are learning minority languages such as Spanish to communicate with more of the world. And visa versa, immigrants are learning English to be able to interact with American stores and other citizens. Yet, through all this adoption, people still remain who they are. Though people may speak English, they still come home to an African meal. America is a diverse country with many different cultures; all of them contribute to what America “is”. However, coming to America does not mean losing your own culture, it is learning new cultures and helping others experience your own. It is because of this that America is a salad bowl and not a melting pot.

OK, it sucks but it's the closest I've got If pity helps my case at all, I have an iPod but I lost my power adapter and I can't find it. I think I already have all the other accessories though. Maybe if the competition heats up I'll think of something new to write up.
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2004-08-16, 16:14

Quote:
sweet jesus on a cross
Would you stop saying that?
murbot
Hoonigan

2004-08-16, 16:39

Would you stop posting shit in here?
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2004-08-16, 16:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by murbot
Would you stop posting shit in here?
Read it if you want to, you don't have to.
murbot
Hoonigan

2004-08-16, 16:58

jesus effing christ on a stick
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2004-08-16, 17:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by murbot
jesus effing christ on a stick
SKMDC

2004-08-16, 18:36

Quote:
Would you stop saying that?
when you quit patting yourself on the back for your writing skills.
whattaya got, double jointed elbows?