Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

So I started a website...

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
So I started a website...
Souflay123

Send a message via AIM to Souflay123  
2008-08-27, 13:18

Okay, So myself and few friends of mine have started this new site, FueltheFear.com. It is kinda like Utube but for the horror genre, it was designed for people to upload their own video, scripts and join people together to create their own movies. Kinda a cool thought, so I am asking for your input on the site to make it better

Sorry this sounds so much like spam, I promise that it is not

Thanks!
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2008-08-27, 13:35

OMG you spamming cinema-whore!! BANNINATEz!

Just kidding...

I like the color scheme and look of the nav elements. Not real sure about the big square graphic at top. Seems like you'd be much better off with a wide, narrow graphic. Brings all the content upward, cleaner looking. As is the graphic doesn't seem to do anything per se so guessing it's a placeholder or something.

Didn't have time to check out the clips but like that you have genres and the iconography works pretty well so far. Like some of the features. I think you're just one good header graphic and some better space management away from having a pretty damn good site.

...into the light of a dark black night.
thegeriatric
geri to my friends

2008-08-27, 13:45

Moogs. You said it all. I agree almost word for word.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2008-08-27, 13:55

Yeah, I agree about the banner at the top. Make it wider or less tall.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2008-08-27, 13:59

Banner haz too much cheeseburger... needs to slim down.
Souflay123

2008-08-27, 14:14

That was the first attempt at the graphic, and I agree, so that is being changed.
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2008-08-27, 14:46

Agree with the banner critique, though, I'd be hard pressed to call a square a banner. Ideally it would also share it's background colour with the page. Alpha channel perhaps?

And what's with those flowers on the "watch" icon? Is it some generic graphic?

The layout seems to be ok, clean and very intuitive. But seriously, if you want to make a site for scary movies, do yourselves the favour and make a scary look for it. I doesn't have to be emo or goth. A cold and sterile look could also do the trick. Or some black/white Hitchcock look.

Time to get in tough with our nightmares! And no, cutting up some all-American high-school teenagers doesn't count.

EDIT:
Some inspiration. If you could communicate some of this photography into a site design it could be a potential winner:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WVP0MXIIdU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlTuk...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fo7Mt...eature=related

Last edited by Mugge : 2008-08-27 at 14:58.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-08-27, 14:57

Nice-looking enough, but I have to echo the "big square thing" comments above. And, in general, it doesn't have that "scary movie" vibe...it almost looks too clean and tech-y (those Apple-y gel tabs and so forth).

But I'm not a huge fan of the "red on black" look for scary stuff (go to Blockbuster or Barnes & Noble and look at how so many horror/thriller movies and books have that "red type on black background" look). It certainly works, and it instantly tells the viewer what genre it is. But it's also become a bit clichéd, due to massive overuse throughout the field.

I like how some of the posters and promo material for those "Saw" movies looked...that stark, blown-out white and "warped medical" vibe to it. There was even a Joker poster going around earlier for "The Dark Knight" that was a nice stark white background, with Joker standing there and "painting" "why so serious" in blood(?) on the frosted, white glass, which was the foreground (for us, the viewer). It look creepy, just seeing something that twisted and sinister on an unexpected white, bright background and environment. My favorite poster of the entire marketing campaign...

Mugge mentions a "cold, sterile" look, so maybe that's what I'm getting at. And that godawful "institutional green" you see in creepy movies about hospitals and prisons...those walls always have that shade of green (and the grimy white tiles, with handprints, blood spatter, etc.).

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2008-08-27 at 15:07.
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2008-08-27, 15:08

I actually have a friend who once painted his dorm room in "institutional green". It's also the interior colour of many military vehicles because it sort of generates it's own light. Don't know if it would work on a website, though.

An asylum theme might be done a few time too many. So Souflay, what kind of users are you gunning at? Teenagers who think they are bad or people who really are best left without an internet connection for the sake of everybody else?
Souflay123

2008-08-27, 16:02

Pretty sure that it is just the generic icon that came with the script. and currently b/c of funding and the such are starting with that script and we have a IT guy and a few other artsy people to assist on the look, and improving it.

lol

the users that we are looking to get are, script writers, movie makers, people who want to aid in the making of a horror movie, people who have already made a short horror movie and want to post it in a forum where people also like scary movies. And the age group is something like 18's to people in there 40's and above.
Souflay123

2008-08-29, 11:54

New graphic... it looks much better
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2008-08-29, 12:58

Yes, but there's still a lot of work to be done.

A thing I think would help drive a good design, would be to sit down and think long and hard about the logo. The logo says a lot about a business and a website can gain a lot of design guidance from it's logo. Wired had a good piece on Google's logo. You might find it interesting.
¡Damned!

2008-08-29, 13:18

It just looks to me like there's no thought to it, and it's a basic "stock" site layout kit with whatever tabs and tools you want turned on that you can change the colors of and you bought online for the low low price of $14.95.

It's a nice idea, but it doesn't pull me in visually or give me any indication why it's up in the first place. "Video Sharing Community" is pretty broad. Maybe a description/mission statement would be appropriate?

So it goes.
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2008-08-29, 13:23

Yes, focus is the word I was looking for. Lot's of focus!