Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

Siri Kicking Ass

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Siri Kicking Ass
Partial
Stallion

2014-08-29, 09:41

Have you guys noticed how high quality and responsive Siri is these days? I have been using it in the iOS 8 beta for texting while driving constantly lately. It is unbelievable. Yes, speaking punctuation still sucks, but once you get used to it, the quality of the output is pretty much flawless.

Kudos to Apple. This feels like the future. Siri was not very good in my opinion a few years ago when it first came out. Now it is rock solid and incredibly fast.

...and calling/e-mailing/texting ex-girlfriends on the off-chance they'll invite you over for some "old time's sake" no-strings couch gymnastics...
ThunderPoit
Making sawdust

2014-08-29, 16:07

I haven't tried the iOS 8 beta yet, but i did notice one major change lately. When i use siri to navigate to home or work, she no longer says "Getting directions to <my name>: Work", she just says, "Getting directions to Work"

Minor thing, but it sounds a lot less awkward.
Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2014-08-29, 19:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partial View Post
Have you guys noticed how high quality and responsive Siri is these days? I have been using it in the iOS 8 beta for texting while driving constantly lately. It is unbelievable. Yes, speaking punctuation still sucks, but once you get used to it, the quality of the output is pretty much flawless.

Kudos to Apple. This feels like the future. Siri was not very good in my opinion a few years ago when it first came out. Now it is rock solid and incredibly fast.
I think it still sucks and is virtually useless without trying way too hard.

And Apple Maps is still atrocious.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2014-08-29, 20:22

And get off his lawn.
tomoe
Veteran Member

2014-08-29, 20:23

I had forgotten that Siri exists until this thread. For me it's been a novelty feature that's slower (and less accurate) than me just doing shit myself.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2014-08-29, 20:28

I've gotten more used to her for texting while driving. Handsfree and all of course. Her diction is pretty good for me and my uses. I also use her for getting me directions to places I need to go and having it opened in Maps.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2014-08-29, 20:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
And get off his lawn.
Siri and Maps just are not good. Sorry. It's been a long time now and they still are not good nor does Apple give them the attention they demand.
Partial
Stallion

2014-08-30, 00:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Ulysses View Post
Siri and Maps just are not good. Sorry. It's been a long time now and they still are not good nor does Apple give them the attention they demand.
Well the dictation is excellent, so I don't know what to tell you. I agree they could do more from an API perspective with Siri. I think it's coming.

What do you think they could do better w/ Siri? Maps are fine for me - but I don't use them much. I typically use Google Maps.

...and calling/e-mailing/texting ex-girlfriends on the off-chance they'll invite you over for some "old time's sake" no-strings couch gymnastics...
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2014-08-30, 01:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partial View Post
What do you think they could do better w/Siri? Maps are fine for me - but I don't use them much. I typically use Google Maps.
Other than the total lack of anything like street view I don't have any real issue with Maps. Siri? Like some others, I have not found it overly useful. Part of that is just how silly I feel about taking to a piece of electronics. In any case, most of the time I start Siri by mistake, rather than out of a desire to use it.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2014-08-30, 05:41

Maps POI is terrible. Outdated, incomplete, unreliable. Also, no Street View. Other than that, it's fine; standard and satellite both load fast and look nice.

Siri still isn't good. It's getting there, but it's been three years, with too little progress.

Dictation has surprised me. This paragraph has been typed entirely (but corrected slightly) with dictation. But it, too, hasn't yet reached the level where I would want to use it on a daily basis.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2014-09-02, 07:56

Siri is *much* better in iOS 8. Incredibly fast - think Google Now speeds - and accurate. I still don't use it much because I need it to be easily integrated into things like Omnifocus but I am impressed with it.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
ThunderPoit
Making sawdust

2014-09-02, 09:55

The only time i seem to run into an issue with siri is when im using my bt headset. I have a motorola hx550. I tend to have to speak slower for everything to be understood