Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
The New iPhone 8
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2017-09-12, 13:11

New iPhone 8
  • Comes in iPhone 8 and iPhone 8+
  • Glass on front and back, aerospace-grade aluminium, and "most durable glass ever in a smartphone", sealed for water/dust resistance
  • Silver, space grey, and "new gold" finishes
  • 4.7" and 5.5" displays
  • stereo speakers, add bass
  • A11 bionic chip that's 4-cores with high efficiency and 2 performance cores
  • Improved 12MP camera with new sensors, new color filters, OIS, more apertures
  • Highest-quality video capture ever in a smartphone, 1080p 240fps slomo, cameras designed and calibrated for AR + integrated with ARKit
  • Glass back means wireless charging. Qi open standard instead of rolling their own.
  • Starting at $699 and $799 for the Plus, 64 or 256GB and available Sep 22
  • Will come with the new iOS 11 on Sep 19

"A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel my anger!" - Darth Baras
twitter ; amateur photographer ; fanfiction writer ; roleplayer and worldbuilder
Ryan
Veteran Member

2017-09-14, 21:13

I think I'm gonna pull the trigger on the 256Gb iPhone 8 tonight. Planning to order through T-Mobile and take the trade-in credit they're offering.

I'm a bit tempted to go with the Plus, but only for the camera. Pretty sure I'll just go with the regular phone in the end but damn I wish Apple would put the dual lens setup on the 8.
El Gallo
Formerly “MumboJumbo”

2017-09-14, 22:59

Anyone else who was like me and upset about the missing middle tier for pricing? I was pondering replacing my iPhone 7 but I have the 128 GB and the choice now is 64 GB for whatever model you start with and $150 more for the 256 GB model. That is the only other choice. Plus there is the $50 price increase in the first place. Last year I handed them $750. This year I'd have to hand them $850 to get the same level of usability.

I love Apple but this feels a little...weird and desperate. I'm not suggesting Apple is going to disappear or anything, just that it feels so contrived in terms of driving you to the next tier and seems galling, even for them.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2017-09-15, 03:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Gallo View Post
Anyone else who was like me and upset about the missing middle tier for pricing?
There's a broader range of price points than ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Gallo View Post
it feels so contrived in terms of driving you to the next tier and seems galling, even for them.
Marketing trying to upsell you? The humanity.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2017-09-15, 09:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
I think I'm gonna pull the trigger on the 256Gb iPhone 8 tonight. Planning to order through T-Mobile and take the trade-in credit they're offering.

I'm a bit tempted to go with the Plus, but only for the camera. Pretty sure I'll just go with the regular phone in the end but damn I wish Apple would put the dual lens setup on the 8.
T-Mobile's website had some glitches but I managed to place an order. I woke up to a text message saying they can't confirm a shipping date due to short supply. Dunno if that was sent to everyone who ordered last night or just some unluckies. My confirmation email has a ship date of 9/21-22. So who knows?

The $300 trade-in credit for an old iPhone 6 is just too good to pass up.

edit: TMO still shows a ship date of 9/21-22 on the product listing page. Maybe the text was to hedge expectations?

Last edited by Ryan : 2017-09-15 at 11:49.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2017-09-15, 13:47

I'm going to skip upgrading this year. If the SE was upgraded to 7 spec I would really have considered it. Sure the VR stuff could be neat but not worth it to me right now. I think I'm back on the every other year cycle again now.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2017-09-18, 11:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
T-Mobile's website had some glitches but I managed to place an order. I woke up to a text message saying they can't confirm a shipping date due to short supply. Dunno if that was sent to everyone who ordered last night or just some unluckies. My confirmation email has a ship date of 9/21-22. So who knows?

The $300 trade-in credit for an old iPhone 6 is just too good to pass up.

edit: TMO still shows a ship date of 9/21-22 on the product listing page. Maybe the text was to hedge expectations?
TMO charged my card this morning. Hoping that means I'm still on track for Friday delivery.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2017-09-22, 15:43

UPS (somehow) couldn't find my office. No phone for me till Monday.

Man, I can't wait for Amazon to destroy that company. At least half my UPS shipments go haywire.
Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2017-09-23, 02:33

Wife got an 8. It’s made me realized how spoiled/difficult to impress we have become. Beautiful device, fast, but overall it gets a “meh” from us. In reality, very little difference from the 7 it replaces. And Apple not having a wireless charger ready upon release is just really baffling. They weren’t even selling third party ones at the Apple store.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2017-09-25, 09:04

Thoughts so far:

*Huge* speed upgrade from the 6. Everything is Snappy™. Touch ID is significantly faster. At some point Apple changed the leather cases—much smoother than they used to be. I never realized how mushy the buttons on the rubber case were until I tried the leather case with the metal inserts.

3D Touch on app icons! I didn't even know about this until today. I realize that's not new to the 8, I'm just behind the curve.

Haven't played much with the camera yet.

Sound quality on calls is much better but also very, very loud. At first I thought I had the speakerphone on.

Mostly I'm just glad to have a new phone to fix the small issues with my old one: a new battery and a lightning connector where the cable doesn't fall out every damn time.