User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Oh my God. :/ (Bush is on anti-depressants)

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Oh my God. :/ (Bush is on anti-depressants)
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
Paul
Veteran Member

2004-07-29, 00:06

Bush is on anti-depressants?

Ok, so it may not be the most reliable source in the world, but these are some big time names that are being pushed around...

I'd like to get other people's opinion about it. Is this a plausible situation... Is Bush loony?

I believe that there is nothing wrong with taking medication for mental disorders, but I do believe that if this is the case that he should resign. This seriously scares me.

Funny, the rumors about Cheney getting a new doctor to declare him medically unfit to serve seem quite ironic right now.

1215/234215 (top .51875%)
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one business model. -EvilTwinSkippy (/.)
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2004-07-29, 00:56

Actually, the article is a lot of BS. Bush has a short, texas temper, but a nut? No. Everyone still remembers the "world class asshole" quote, but what politician doesnt have a shorter than average fuse?

Bush aint the smartest, most charismatic, most intellectual, articulate President, but he is definitley not crazy.

"We are reviewing some 9,000 recent UNHCR referrals from Syria. We are receiving roughly a thousand new ones each month, and we expect admissions from Syria to surge in 2015 and beyond." - Anne C. Richard, Assistant Secretary, Bureau of Population, Refugees, and Migration

Last edited by Messiahtosh : 2004-07-29 at 01:06.
LoCash
Rest In Peace

2004-07-29, 01:52

I lot of powerful, successful people are on anti-depressant medication. You'd be surprised, and being on the meds doesn't mean you have some amazing chemical imbalance or mood problem. I mean, we'd need to know the meds, his dosage, etceteras.

It is with great regret that we say our farewells to Jack, who passed away on May 28th, 2005. Jack, you will be missed by all

Superior thinking has always overwhelmed superior force. - Marine Corps Officers

"You don't lead by hitting people over the head-that's assault, not leadership." - General Eisenhower
ast3r3x
25 chars of wasted space.

Send a message via AIM to ast3r3x  
2004-07-29, 07:51

Very interesting at least.
Barto
Student extraordinaire

2004-07-29, 10:28

This is about George W Bush, and him using antidepressants. While personally I would not have a problem with him taking them, I can understand why some people would be freaked out.

Anyone got any relevant, unique and new information about John Kerry? That's good, why don't you post it rather than trolling/flaming. Or better yet start a different thread about it rather than hi-jacking an existing one.

The sky was deep black; Jesus still loved me. I started down the alley, wailing in a ragged bass.
thuh Freak
Finally broke the seal

2004-07-29, 12:44

the anti-depressants themselves don't scare me. afterall, they are given (by medical professionals) to help. the scary part is how the president is portrayed by that site. but it reaks of exaggeration or sensationalism. i have a feeling its bunk.

if it is true, i think it would be preferable to tell the public about it. admittedly, most people will just dismiss bush as a crazy man or something, but if they tried hard enough they could teach us about his mental state. and explain the severity or lack of severity of the situation. clearly anyone who does know about it, and continues to hide it, is convinced that he's sufficiently stable to act in office. not telling the public, to me, implies that there is something to hide. ie, that his situation is out of an acceptable range; or, that its all just made up by this teresa hampton chick.
Wrao
Yarp

2004-07-29, 13:31

I'm sorry, but This picture, from the original CapitalBlue article on the topic, is hilarious.

As for bush being emotionally unstable...I dunno, I'd imagine that if he is, like, assuming he's had these issues his whole life but never was treated, then being the president can't be doing *anything* to help his mental state.(unless you count the ability to get the best meds available)

The stuff that interested me the most in the article, mainly because this is the vibe I've always got from bush...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Article
Dr. Frank diagnosed the President as a “paranoid meglomaniac” and “untreated alcoholic” whose “lifelong streak of sadism, ranging from childhood pranks (using firecrackers to explode frogs) to insulting journalists, gloating over state executions and pumping his hand gleefully before the bombing of Baghdad”
I dunno, if there is any veracity to this statement, it's pretty disturbing...
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2004-07-29, 13:38

Yeah, and Kennedy was on enough painkillers for most of his presidency to make Rush look like a Clean & Sober member. The point of this thread was... ??

I'd rather have an emotionally unstable president on proper meds than *NOT* on proper meds... and I fail to see how anyone who actually aspired to the position could be emotionally stable in the first place. :P
Wrao
Yarp

2004-07-29, 13:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha
I'd rather have an emotionally unstable president on proper meds than *NOT* on proper meds... and I fail to see how anyone who actually aspired to the position could be emotionally stable in the first place. :P
Definitely.
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2004-07-29, 13:59

Anti-depressants have been shown, and will be increasingly shown, to be dangerous, damaging drugs. They do not treat a problem... they only mask it (badly) for some time.

The combination is a scary one for the whole world.
Role on a chnage of power in the US.

Cheers,
scratt

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt

Last edited by Luca : 2004-07-30 at 00:10.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2004-07-29, 16:55

I've reopened this thread and removed the one-sided political bashing. Hopefully we can have a good, mature discussion of prominent people on anti-depressants.

I was on them myself at one point, and I can say that they definitely work. Given the amount of stress I was under at the time, I can't imagine the President NOT having serious problems with stress that could warrant the use of anti-depressants.

Now, which anti-depressants he is using could be important. There are weaker ones, like Wellbutrin (or even the St. John's Wort supplement, which I have used and yes, it did seem to work), that might be good for just keeping a level head. I might be worried if he was taking the stronger stuff, like Paxil maybe.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2004-07-29, 16:59

Agreed - I can also confirm that they can work extremely well in many situations. They're not something I'd want to be on long term, but for short term (months) pressure situations, or for those whose brains are locked in cycles, they can be very a beneficial supplement to more thorough therapy.
thegelding
feeling my oats

Send a message via AIM to thegelding  
2004-07-29, 17:04

if it keeps him from blowing up frogs with firecrackers, then i'm all for it...i say "medicate the hell out of the sucka"

g
xionja

2004-07-29, 18:08

Quote:
The prescription drugs, administered by Col. Richard J. Tubb, the White House physician, can impair the President’s mental faculties and decrease both his physical capabilities and his ability to respond to a crisis, administration aides admit privately.

He does have a history of falling off of things, no?

Pretty creepy if the article is acurate. I don't believe that somebody who is mentally unstable should be elected to a high office. If the stress of being the president caused mental issues on a otherwise stable person, then I would think the medication is justified.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2004-07-29, 18:10

In my opinion, only mentally unstable people seek office in the *FIRST* place.
thegelding
feeling my oats

2004-07-29, 18:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha
In my opinion, only mentally unstable people seek office in the *FIRST* place.

yes...anybody who wants to be president, shouldn't be allowed

and anybody who would make a great president would never think of running

i think we should do extensive testing and "force" the best person to be president

g

crazy is not a rare human condition

everything is food if you chew hard enough
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2004-07-29, 18:35

What, never read Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy??

Don't be dense, and start making inflated strawman statements.

In my opinion, *most* people are mentally unstable in one way or another. Those that are more ego-centric, and either hear the call of a higher voice, or suffer from righteous indignation over inanities and really do think they can change things, are those that are going to end up running for office.

That's assuming that they're not just egomaniacs on power trips.

So yes, I do believe that only those that are mentally a bit 'off' in one way or another are going to be the ones that devote their lives to the acquisition of personal power. The really scary ones are those that do so in the name of 'the greater good'. Talk about delusional.

If holding that office isn't a stressful job, I don't know what is. If anti-depressants are required, great. Be thankful they're not anti-psychotics.

Although...

Last edited by Kickaha : 2004-07-29 at 18:51.
Crusader

Send a message via AIM to Crusader  
2004-07-29, 21:42

Everyone should be on meds, that way I don't have to deal with a#@holes all day at work

'"President Bush is an untreated alcoholic with paranoid and megalomaniac tendencies,” Dr. Frank adds.'

Shouldn't that be "megalomaniacal"? I could be wrong, but that sounds better. But then again, who am I to correct a doctor.

"It's a good thing there's no law against a company having a monopoly of good ideas. Otherwise Apple would be in deep yogurt..."
-Apple Press Release
thegelding
feeling my oats

2004-07-29, 22:08

eh, i am serious...anybody that wants to be president is suspect in my opinion...and the people or person that would be really really good at being president (fair, strong, open minded, hard working) would never ever want that job...not much money, way too much exposure and risk....

i think we should have two elections...the visible, "give a speech, shake hands and kiss babies," president and the invisible, "work hard, think hard" president...we kinda have that now except the invisible president is very beholden to special interest...a true invisible president would alway balance and work for the best thing, not caring if it was pro this or anti that

g

curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2004-07-29, 22:36

Now if he ground them to a fine powder and snorted his meds...
thegelding
feeling my oats

2004-07-29, 22:49

and chased it with a beer....
dmz

2004-07-30, 10:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousuburb
Now if he ground them to a fine powder and snorted his meds...

Actually that gives me visions of Clinton snorting his Ritalin prescription at his desk in the Oval office---a la Al Pacino in Scareface.......drawling to Lewinski:

"Hey Baaaby, lemma intraduuuce ya 'ta mah little friend."

When the Christian faith is not only felt, but thought, it has practical results which may be inconvenient.
-- T. S. Eliot, "The Idea of a Christian Society"
LudwigVan
Veteran Member

2004-07-30, 11:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by xionja
He does have a history of falling off of things, no?
So did Gerald Ford.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2004-07-30, 11:56

1) Being on anti-depressants does not make you crazy
2) Megalomania is not treated by anti-depressants
3) There's nothing wrong with needing medication to help you
4) You should be in therapy if you need anti-depressants

I'm not a supporter of Bush by any means, but his use of medication for depression/anxiety does not make him unfit. I still won't vote for him, but there's no need to stigmatize him for using anti-depressants.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2004-07-30, 12:00

Hear hear.
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2004-07-30, 12:57

Agreed.
Powerdoc
Cat's Dreamlands

2004-07-30, 13:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile
1) Being on anti-depressants does not make you crazy
2) Megalomania is not treated by anti-depressants
3) There's nothing wrong with needing medication to help you
4) You should be in therapy if you need anti-depressants

I'm not a supporter of Bush by any means, but his use of medication for depression/anxiety does not make him unfit. I still won't vote for him, but there's no need to stigmatize him for using anti-depressants.
Good post. But no cookies for you : you are a professional
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2004-07-30, 13:27

I never thought I'd be defending Bush, but I think the "diagnosis" of "megalomaniacal tendencies" is BS. I don't know for sure because I am not a psychiatrist/psychologist, and I don't know if that's something that anyone could even be diagnosed with, but it sounds like something that has been spun up by a left-wing group of some kind.

Oh, I still think the man is a megalomaniac, but I don't think a psychiatrist would actually diagnose him with "megalomaniacal tendencies."

BTW, I loved the HHGTTG reference. The part describing how Zaphod became president of the galaxy was priceless.
BRussell

2004-07-30, 14:13

I sincerely doubt this is true. However, it got me thinking - if this was true, should it be made public? Usually, at least in the contemporary political world, the public is informed about medical conditions of the prez.
thegelding
feeling my oats

2004-07-30, 14:38

we are overly concerned with the presidents physical condition ever since FDR hid his disease for soooo long...so we now get yearly updates on the presidents physical health....we haven't moved into getting the presidents mental health to be a matter of public record yet...kinda surprising since they hid reagan's poor mental health from the public soooo long and well...

mental health, or the lack thereof, scares this country...we consider it "weakness" so we tend to hide or ignore it

kinda sad

still, blowing up frogs is sick and twisted, and not in a good "oh, that girl last night was sic n' twisted baby" kind of way...

g