User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Who will be president first?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
View Poll Results: Who will be president of the Untied States first?
A woman 16 34.04%
A minority 31 65.96%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Who will be president first?
Page 2 of 3 Previous 1 [2] 3  Next Thread Tools
SteveC

2004-08-01, 21:12

You can always vote with a mail-in ballot. Just get it in advance of the election.

A vote is a revolution. If you believe that the world can be a better place, then you should vote. It isn't a perfect solution, because people are not perfect, but it is in fact the most powerful action you can take to change the future politically without violence.

The problem with our country is that we are too politicized. (like most) People judge each other more on their political affiliation than they do on their skin color or ethnicity. Very weird if you ask me, but still true: Political Bigotry.

So you are not politicized? Great! All the more reason to vote. Hopefully you will vote for people like yourself, who are also not politicized, not manipulated by fear, not seeking revenge or justice, and not demanding to have feathers for their own nest.

Finding a candidate will always be hard, but there is always a clear choice between who is better. Just watch out for the actors, who are masters of manipulation, and soldiers and chicken-hawks, who use fear as a reason for them to be your protector.

Democracy requires trust. Trusting the people, and also trusting yourself. VOTE! Whatever you get wrong can be corrected with a vote later.

Hillary is pretty smart and saavy. Obama is probably even more so.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2004-08-01, 22:19

Did anyone watch Janet Napolitano's convention speech? I didn't see it, and was wondering how she came across.

As for a woman president, I don't see that happening any time soon; but I certainly wouldn't mind voting for a good female candidate.

I can't believe someone like Nancy Pelosi has achieved a leadership position in her party. She doesn't appeal to me in the least. yuck. To me, she comes across as bird-like and twittery.

My British friends all seem to despise the memory of Margaret Thatcher. Of course, most of them are liberals. The impression I get of how she was is that she seemed strong and rational. But that's just an impression from documentaries on the history channel.

I bought a book on Eleanor of Aquitaine. I'll be interested to see what kind of woman she was. I am afraid she was probably completely ruthless, and willing to sacrifice any person to broaden her power base. To me, ruthless power-grabbing is unattractive in male or female leaders. Ah, for the just exercise of a strong and benevolent power.

As others have said on this board in other threads, the very fact that someone wants to be president should be the first disqualifier from seeking that office. Not in a million years would I want such a job - filled with stress and global-level decision-making on a daily basis. god! My idea of hell.
thuh Freak
Finally broke the seal

2004-08-02, 09:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh0eWax
I turn 18 exactly on November 2nd, I don't believe I will be voting this year. Something about the candidates just doesn't persuade me. Everyone says your vote counts, but if I don't believe in what is being said be either of the two major candidates, I don't know what to do. Maybe I should look up a minority candidate.
if you aren't sure who to vote for, pick kerry. its what thuh Freak will do. and a man, or a woman, should strive to be as freaskish as possible. or, if your anti-Freak, pick an issue or a few and see which candidate matches your own opinion on the issue(s). then pick kerry regardless, because thuh Freak says you should.

i think a chick has more of a chance getting elected than a minority. the dems tried it back a few years (decades?). obviously, it didn't work, but someday it might. i think racism is a bit too strong still. both i think will happen in my lifetime.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2004-08-02, 10:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by k squared
How about an option for a minority woman?
Sure, as long as you're not proposing Mosley-Braun or Condoleeza Rice are the candidates (by that I mean, they're not qualified). Maybe Oprah will run; she'd mobilize a truly scary number of women to go vote, who probably don't vote regularly right now. Just think, President Winfrey.

...into the light of a dark black night.
Barto
Student extraordinaire

2004-08-02, 10:11

All the schools would be converted into book clubs.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2004-08-02, 10:41

oldmacfan
Veteran Member

2004-08-02, 19:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akumulator
I'm going to be voting as many times as possible this year.
I thought that only happend in Chicago...
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2004-08-02, 19:54

Yeah, I've been so torn, probably because this is my very first chance to vote in something worthwhile. We've done countless projects this senior year centered around familiarizing yourself with the candidates out there, but somehow everyone only presented the flaws and not what our candidates were actually about.

As for racism and sexism, both are very prominent in this nation, even now in the age of information. However perhaps several decades from now, when I am nearing the end of my life, it might happen. Good thread. Especially because it hasn't resulted to flaming (etc.) that would happen at many other forums. Props to Nova!

User formally known as Sh0eWax
xionja

2004-08-03, 19:05

My reasoning was that women were generally accepted before minoritys in the twentieth century, and so it seems likely that the same pattern will follow for presidency.

however, minority is a very loose term i saw a funny t-shirt the other day. "support minoritys, tax cuts for the rich"
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-08-03, 19:18

Here's the kicker that'll send some of you over the edge: it won't be a Democrat, either way. Chew on that for the evening, won't you?

As for the topic, I say a minority becomes President before a woman. In fact, I don't think I'll see a woman president in my lifetime (I'm 35). That's no slam against women whatsoever. I'm just being realistic...I don't think it will happen anytime soon.

Don't jump all over me either...I'm just saying what my gut and observation tells me.
stevegong
www.stevegongphoto.com

Send a message via AIM to stevegong Send a message via Skype™ to stevegong 
2004-08-03, 19:43

A woman....president?!?

Our friend Ali G will tell you why a woman can't be president.

Anyone seen that episode?

Naderfan
Queen of Confrontation

2004-08-03, 21:16

As always, I must quote the Simpsons: When Bart and Lisa find themselves in the gay republican headquarters and are given a bumper sticker reading: Elect a Gay President in 2084 and the guy says, "We're realistic." I too think a minority will become president first. But I still think it'll be awhile.
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2009-01-20, 16:47

*bump*

So I found this in the related threads from this thread.

This thread is very fun to read today. Question answered!
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2009-01-20, 16:56

I called it!
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2009-01-20, 18:47

Scates and Alc lose at this thread.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2009-01-20, 22:44

Hey now, how was I to know that the crypt keeper would pick a woman as his VP? It totally threw off my calculations.

See, the problem is that a lot of racists are also sexists. I never thought the election would be a (likely) woman candidate against a minority. Screwed up my shit-head calculation tables.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2009-01-21, 01:27

nice bump...

luca gets mad mad props.
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2009-01-21, 01:30

I just voted. Is that cheating?
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2009-01-21, 01:54

Not if you voted "woman".

Banana
is the next Chiquita

2009-01-21, 01:56

But only because that's being stupid.... kind like answering 'George W. Bush' when asked who was the first president...
Doxxic
Veteran Member

2009-01-21, 04:04

The funny thing is that the word 'minority', as used in the question, is actually starting to feel a bit out of place. It seems that in the end, we're all minorities in some ways. Plus, when someone's a president it still feels a bit strange to call that person a minority...
Yonzie
Mac Mini Maniac

2009-01-21, 05:45

I agree. Becoming President should render his/her "minority" a non-minority.
I guess that would mean it's safe to call african-americans black, negro or just nigga, right?

Converted 07/2005.
AWR
Veteran Member

2009-01-21, 06:55

In the poll, at that time I think I would have chosen Woman (not that it matters). Just happy to see that we've pushed past the white male thing for the first time.
jcoley2
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to jcoley2  
2009-01-21, 07:27

Time to close this thread and move on--case solved.
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2009-01-21, 09:27

Yoda says Washington be President first.
billybobsky
BANNED

2009-01-21, 11:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doxxic View Post
The funny thing is that the word 'minority', as used in the question, is actually starting to feel a bit out of place. It seems that in the end, we're all minorities in some ways. Plus, when someone's a president it still feels a bit strange to call that person a minority...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yonzie View Post
I agree. Becoming President should render his/her "minority" a non-minority.
I guess that would mean it's safe to call african-americans black, negro or just nigga, right?
What? That makes no sense, one's status as a minority be it racial or otherwise isn't changed by winning an election. It seems there is an implicit assumption that like only votes for like in coming to this odd conclusion; and that assumption is provably wrong.
Taskiss
Veteran Member

2009-01-21, 11:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobsky View Post
What? That makes no sense, one's status as a minority be it racial or otherwise isn't changed by winning an election.
If you are truly colorblind, it seems you need to only look at the fact that one represents the winner of a competition where majority rules... so it does make a bit of sense, when the opposite of majority is minority.

real hackers don't use sigs
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2009-01-21, 11:40

Furthermore, it needs not be about no longer an actual minority in demographic sense but rather equal (actually more like 'closer to being equal than before' in political sense.) Just like WASP are a minority, but have more than their fair share of political (in)equality, I suppose.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2009-01-21, 11:45

I not only voted "(ethnic) minority" before woman, but predicted Obama would be the guy. I just thought it would be 4 years from now, not yesterday. Time to start Moogs' Psychic Friends Network. Clearly I am clairvoyant.

...into the light of a dark black night.
billybobsky
BANNED

2009-01-21, 11:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taskiss View Post
If you are truly colorblind, it seems you need to only look at the fact that one represents the winner of a competition where majority rules... so it does make a bit of sense, when the opposite of majority is minority.
Sorry, but colorblindness only works for race, there are other minorities that are perpetually undiscoverable. (and I honestly don't think racial colorblindness is real -- it goes against the human instinct to categorize. i also don't think it is desirable, there is information in the color of a person's skin that tells you about the experiences of that individual).