User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Garfield is a piece of crap. Papers begin to agree.

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Garfield is a piece of crap. Papers begin to agree.
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
murbot
Hoonigan

2005-01-05, 17:27

The L.A. Times have yanked this useless, humourless piece of steaming dog shit from their daily comic section. I actually yelled "RIGHT ON MAN!!!!" when I read this story.

'L.A. Times' Drops Daily 'Garfield' as the Comic Is Blasted and Praised

I hope that other papers start to follow suit. I mean honestly, has this crappy comic EVER made anyone laugh? Every time I read it I close my eyes for a few seconds and wonder how the hell anyone in their right mind could actually sign their name to a comic that bad. It shouldn't even be called a comic. It's a disgrace to the word.

And hey, even Maddox agrees with me. So, of course, it has to be true. If you don't agree, you are wrong.

Kiss my ass Garfield, I hope you jump off of a high cupboard and Jon doesn't have the $1400 to fix your leg, and you die.*

*inside joke that you might not get. If you are one of the puzzed, basically I wish he would DIE PAINFULLY.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2005-01-05, 17:31

Yeah, Garfield was funny when I was *eight*... I have to admit to being surprised a couple of years ago when I found it was still running in most newspapers. (I don't get a newspaper.)
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2005-01-05, 17:48

Um, there was once a point before the television show and before my lobotomy that I thought garfield was funny, but they removed my laughatallthingsunfunny cortex during that lobotomy, and I haven't laughed at it since...
LudwigVan
Veteran Member

2005-01-05, 17:51

Yeah, I gave up on "Garfield" (and "Ziggy" and "Family Circus" and...) a long time ago too. Actually, I've given up on newspaper comics in toto since Gary Larson folded "The Far Side" lo these many moons ago.
billybobsky
BANNED

2005-01-05, 17:55

Let us not forget to morn Calivin and Hobbes
johnq
Multi-touch PiƱata

2005-01-05, 18:19

I laughed at a Garfield strip once in my 36 years on earth. He was stuck on a screen door by his claws. But that was funny more from remembering it happening to real cats, so that almost doesn't count.

"Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding." - Albert Einstein
ast3r3x
25 chars of wasted space.

Send a message via AIM to ast3r3x  
2005-01-05, 19:04

Dilbert is the only possibly funny comic strip.

Besides that, I only look at the mystery Slylock Fox picture, and the find 6 differences.
Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2005-01-05, 19:15

The problem is, there are far, far worse comic strips than Garfield out there, but we at the LA Times are still running them. The people here really don't understand which strips are good and why.
Ebby
Subdued and Medicated

Send a message via AIM to Ebby  
2005-01-05, 19:17

I am a big Garfield fan, but I too think it has passed its prime. If seems that Jim Davis has simply ran out of ideas or motive. I still save Garfield as the last comic, but I find that I get more chuckles out so many others.

I'll keep reading it though.

^^ One more quality post from the desk of Ebby. ^^
SSBA | SmockBogger | SporkNET
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2005-01-05, 19:51

if you think garfield is bad, you should try reading fred basset. worst comic EVER!
Chinney
Veteran Member

2005-01-05, 20:43

Some comics are funny long-term (Dilbert, Calvin and Hobbes, the Far Side, Doonsbury); some start funny then, after many years, deteriorate (Peanuts is the notable example); some are occasionally funny; and some are never, ever, ever funny.

Garfield falls below the final category.

When there's an eel in the lake that's as long as a snake that's a moray.
InactionMan
Veteran Member

2005-01-05, 20:51

Jim Davis should be tried for crimes against humanity. I read it when I was a kid and thought it was okay but man, it is actually worse than Family Circus. At least Family Circus can be unintentionally demented that it can make me laugh. I just try to imagine Bil Keane as a huge nihilistic atheist and the strip tends to be a bit funnier.

Todays comics break my heart. It was one of America's great original contributions to the world of art and it has just deteriorated so much. Fucking hell.

Time to go read Krazy Kat and Little Nemo to remind my self that comics used to be incredible.
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2005-01-05, 20:56

Bring back Snoopy!
Chinney
Veteran Member

2005-01-05, 21:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobsky
Let us not forget to morn Calivin and Hobbes
Rather than 'morn' them, I would 'night' them. Sir Calvin and Sir Hobbes, methinks, would be fitting titles.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2005-01-05, 21:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha
Yeah, Garfield was funny when I was *eight*... I have to admit to being surprised a couple of years ago when I found it was still running in most newspapers. (I don't get a newspaper.)

No shit. I remember when I was in grammar school collecting all the books. Back then (to a kid that age) he was pretty damn funny. But he's been about as funny as a brick for the last... I dunno... 15 years? I mean seriously. FIFTEEN. Maybe more. John Davis hasn't written anything original in at least that long. Every comic is a tired spin of some other comic he wrote in the 80s.

All I can say to the times is, what took you so damn long?

...into the light of a dark black night.
Eugene
careful with axes

2005-01-05, 21:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinney
Some comics are funny long-term (Dilbert, Calvin and Hobbes, the Far Side, Doonsbury);.
Doonesbury?
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-01-05, 22:35

I loved Calvin & Hobbes. Have several of the large compilation books. Truly funny on several levels, and the drawings themselves were just perfect. I'd laugh out loud just at a particular expression on Calvin's face, or a certain way Hobbes would be positioned during some "adventure".

A perfect strip. I miss it.

Nothing else in the comics makes me laugh, although "FoxTrot" can be pleasantly silly sometimes, with that bratty kid.
Chinney
Veteran Member

2005-01-05, 23:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene
Doonesbury?
Dunes-Berry. Thanks. Perfect, since I made fun of Billy-Bob's spelling.
billybobsky
BANNED

2005-01-05, 23:46

missing a u ain't such a big deal given that i often miss entire words when typing...
BlueRabbit
Veteran Member

2005-01-06, 00:42

Aren't they making a Garfield movie? I seem to recall seeing a preview for it a while back. I don't remember much, but it was bad. Really bad. Like, waay worse than the comic strip.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-01-06, 01:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRabbit
Aren't they making a Garfield movie?
It was one of the worst movies of 2004.

I remember hearing something about the three worst flicks of '04 all having cats:
  • Garfield
  • Catwoman
  • The Cat in the Hat.
I tend to agree.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2005-01-06, 01:06

They are; and this is the perfect sign that Davis has run out of material and money, most likely. Nearly all cartoon-based movies are pure unadulterated shite IMHO.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2005-01-06, 03:22

*sides aching* I just read the Maddox piece on Garfield a minute ago. I think I woke up the litte woman who was sleeping in a room down the hall as I tried to muffle my laughter. Now I need a kidney operation because my sides hurt so bad. His spoof of the typical Garfield made me laugh so hard I snorted when I tried to hold it in.

Oh man... that guy is classic. More, commentary from Maddox, less from Tucker. That is all.

...into the light of a dark black night.
Powerdoc
Cat's Dreamlands

2005-01-06, 07:07

Garfield the movie is for kids only.

Even for a crazy cat love for me, this movie was too much.

Now, I like Garfield the comic. But at the difference of many people here, I don't read it on a regular basis. I have read two or three Garfield's book in my life. I don't think that Garfield is bad, I think that he is way too present in some countries.
Mass Appeal

2005-01-06, 14:30

There is a silver lining to such an awful strip... Bill the Cat. Berkeley Breathed's contempt for Garfield created one of my favorite comic strip characters. Whenever I scan the funnies and my eyes roam over Garfield I chuckle to myself thinking of Bill.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2005-01-06, 14:33

Excellent point, man... good show.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-01-06, 14:42

To its credit, the Garfield movie did have Jennifer Love-Hewitt. Or so I heard...
Mass Appeal

2005-01-06, 14:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0
To its credit, the Garfield movie did have Jennifer Love-Hewitt. Or so I heard...
So did "The Tuxedo" but she couldn't save that sinking ship either.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-01-06, 15:07

Well, I'm not exactly looking at - or interested in - her contributions and impact on the world of acting, cinema and the dramatic arts, am I?
Mass Appeal

2005-01-06, 15:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0
Well, I'm not exactly looking at - or interested in - her contributions and impact on the world of acting, cinema and the dramatic arts, am I?
You might be interested in this then. :smokey: