Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Car Talk
Page 64 of 68 First Previous 60 61 62 63 [64] 65 66 67 68  Next Thread Tools
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2023-03-24, 09:12

Not just luxury cars:

https://www.cp24.com/news/two-men-ar...ings-1.6322540

Who does an attempted murder in order to steal a 2012 Chevy Sonic? Good god.

"Hi, I ruined my life over a cheap 10-year old sedan."
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2023-03-24, 09:20

Aftermarket on parts for those must be gold. No other way I could imagine it.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2023-03-24, 09:29

Hard to say if Land Rover is improving or not, one client has one, but I don’t ask people I work for about their cars. I’m sure it would be fine for a one or two year lease. Most of those vehicles are okay for 2-3 years, it’s after that where the money pit begins to mire the owner’s existence.

Given the price of parts for some upper class vehicles I can understand the theft issue. I mean a Land Rover starter is magically $300-400 more than a normal brand. It sure isn’t because they are made better. It’s like paying the Apple tax on RAM, only worse.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2023-03-24, 12:30

My aunt has had a couple Range Rovers and she said she's had good luck, but you basically have to take it back to them for maintenance, aside from a couple common things.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2023-03-24, 15:18

So I have a quandary. Well, not really, but I wanna whine, so here I am.

I have a '95 Jeep Cherokee Sport that I am looking to get rid of. 246kmi, original engine and transmission, has had the alternator and an O2 sensor replaced, and... that's it, for the going bits. Brakes re-done a couple of years ago (they locked up HARD and caught on fire on the freeway before I could get to a turnout, it was AWESOME... but not the first time...), a tie rod, a side mirror... the repairs on this thing have been ridiculously below expectations.

This thing has been through hell and back. I've owned it since '96 when I got my first "real job" out of grad school, and in addition to several Atlantic <-> Pacific trips and countless runs between NC and NY, it's been through two hurricanes, had a tree dropped across the hood (side mirror), a cinder block chunk from an overpass bounce off that same hood, caught brakes on fire twice (once as above, once on a mountain pass in UT because I was a dork), and been dragged through an intersection by a semi before having the front left fender *run over* by the trailer (tie rod collapsed)... and it will. not. die. Stored without battery, when I hook it up it start on the first turn of the key, every time.

I call it Frankenjeep. It's a Russian chop shop special, front half a '95, back half a '96.

It's been in the carport for the past two years, undriven, and it's time to let it go.

At this point I'm sure it's pretty much good for parts, the floorpan under the driver's seat is flaking off in sheets of rust, the body is in very ungood shape, and it has a minor roof leak above the passenger seat... which is *great* in the Pacific North Wet. The mice in the air filter are going to be mighty pissed.

Still, after 27 years, the driver's seat is perfectly molded to my ass, and you can't buy that kind of comfort.

Looking like a donation to a local radio station at this point, which breaks my heart, but the damned thing is taking up space I need to air dry some cedar planking.

Bleah.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2023-03-24, 16:04

Yeah, I’d let that truck go to one of those organizations that sells them at auction and keeps the profit. I’m still rocking a ‘98 Ranger so I know exactly where you are right now. Mine isn’t dead and I still drive it a few times a week.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
tomoe
Veteran Member

2023-03-25, 21:17

Just got back from an eleven day road-trip, ~2200 miles, and am still happy with our boring appliance Rav4. The only thing I wish for right now is that the seat memory settings also includes adjusting mirrors.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2023-03-26, 08:41

RAV4 isn’t exciting, has a really stiff ride (owned 2013 Limited AWD) making speed bumps painful, but it gets the job done without hassles. Hope Toyota at least made comfort better on the 2019+ models.
tomoe
Veteran Member

2023-03-26, 19:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
RAV4 isn’t exciting, has a really stiff ride (owned 2013 Limited AWD) making speed bumps painful, but it gets the job done without hassles. Hope Toyota at least made comfort better on the 2019+ models.
We have a 2021 Limited and I haven’t noticed a stiff ride. Though I’m probably the last person to judge what that means. It’s the first car I’ve had in over 20 years, the last one was a 1989 Acura Integra (junked in 1999) and before that a late 1980s Tercel 4 speed lol.

Seen a man standin' over a dead dog lyin' by the highway in a ditch
He's lookin' down kinda puzzled pokin' that dog with a stick
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2023-03-26, 23:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomoe View Post
We have a 2021 Limited and I haven’t noticed a stiff ride. Though I’m probably the last person to judge what that means. It’s the first car I’ve had in over 20 years, the last one was a 1989 Acura Integra (junked in 1999) and before that a late 1980s Tercel 4 speed lol.
I was going to get a 2022 RAV4 Hybrid, unlike many people I like the subdued Toyota look, but those were unobtainable. How I do work changed, and I need a small truck, the rest is history. The 2013-2018 RAV4 and 2019+ RAV4s are different body designs from the ground up, so they wouldn't be similar anyway.

My comment on the feel was miss-worded, I should have said stiff suspension, you felt every little bump on the road like a sharp hit. Nothing like anything else I've driven (1987 Honda Accord, 2004 Corolla, 2008 Camry, 13' RAV4, now 22' Ford Maverick), so I was not overly sad to see it go, other than the much superior interior of the Limited trim.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2023-03-27, 10:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
So I have a quandary. Well, not really, but I wanna whine, so here I am.

I have a '95 Jeep Cherokee Sport that I am looking to get rid of. 246kmi, original engine and transmission, has had the alternator and an O2 sensor replaced, and... that's it, for the going bits. Brakes re-done a couple of years ago (they locked up HARD and caught on fire on the freeway before I could get to a turnout, it was AWESOME... but not the first time...), a tie rod, a side mirror... the repairs on this thing have been ridiculously below expectations.

This thing has been through hell and back. I've owned it since '96 when I got my first "real job" out of grad school, and in addition to several Atlantic <-> Pacific trips and countless runs between NC and NY, it's been through two hurricanes, had a tree dropped across the hood (side mirror), a cinder block chunk from an overpass bounce off that same hood, caught brakes on fire twice (once as above, once on a mountain pass in UT because I was a dork), and been dragged through an intersection by a semi before having the front left fender *run over* by the trailer (tie rod collapsed)... and it will. not. die. Stored without battery, when I hook it up it start on the first turn of the key, every time.

I call it Frankenjeep. It's a Russian chop shop special, front half a '95, back half a '96.

It's been in the carport for the past two years, undriven, and it's time to let it go.

At this point I'm sure it's pretty much good for parts, the floorpan under the driver's seat is flaking off in sheets of rust, the body is in very ungood shape, and it has a minor roof leak above the passenger seat... which is *great* in the Pacific North Wet. The mice in the air filter are going to be mighty pissed.

Still, after 27 years, the driver's seat is perfectly molded to my ass, and you can't buy that kind of comfort.

Looking like a donation to a local radio station at this point, which breaks my heart, but the damned thing is taking up space I need to air dry some cedar planking.

Bleah.
Is there a youth ranch or a goodwill someplace local you can drop it off at?

Also, we had a junker once and called the Rusty Jalopy and they showed up and gave us $500 for it for the scraps.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
drewprops
Space Pirate

2023-03-27, 11:09

Kick's jeep reminds me of that red Hilux from Top Gear.

Matsu
Veteran Member

2023-03-27, 12:29

I think modern trucks, SUVs, crossovers sometimes don’t have quite enough sidewall? Often upper level trims get a big rim, but not enough rubber. Certainly not enough for off-roading but maybe a little too sporty even for street work?
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2023-03-27, 12:31

Quote:
I was going to get a 2022 RAV4 Hybrid, unlike many people I like the subdued Toyota look, but those were unobtainable. How I do work changed, and I need a small truck, the rest is history. The 2013-2018 RAV4 and 2019+ RAV4s are different body designs from the ground up, so they wouldn't be similar anyway.

My comment on the feel was miss-worded, I should have said stiff suspension, you felt every little bump on the road like a sharp hit. Nothing like anything else I've driven (1987 Honda Accord, 2004 Corolla, 2008 Camry, 13' RAV4, now 22' Ford Maverick), so I was not overly sad to see it go, other than the much superior interior of the Limited trim.
I ordered a 2021 Rav4 Hybrid and it never arrived. Ended up having to buy the gas version (in fact, the one they were using at the dealership to ferry people around.) as we needed a car as our previous lease ended.

I only discovered today (at the end of winter) that it has heated windscreen wiper wells, because the switch for it is behind the steering wheel and can't be seen.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2023-03-27, 14:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
I ordered a 2021 Rav4 Hybrid and it never arrived. Ended up having to buy the gas version (in fact, the one they were using at the dealership to ferry people around.) as we needed a car as our previous lease ended.

I only discovered today (at the end of winter) that it has heated windscreen wiper wells, because the switch for it is behind the steering wheel and can't be seen.
Yeah I was told the wait list was 18+ months for the hybrid.

My 2013 Limited had the heated wiper park, as does my Maverick Hybrid (in lux package), and it’s nice for frosty mornings. Doesn’t do much for more than a light dusting of snow. Think it helps to keep it from gathering while driving too.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2023-03-27, 16:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
Is there a youth ranch or a goodwill someplace local you can drop it off at?
Youth ranch is a good idea, let it go to pasture with some folks who will get some immediate use out of it. I'll see what I can scrounge up.

Quote:
Also, we had a junker once and called the Rusty Jalopy and they showed up and gave us $500 for it for the scraps.
Yeah, I figure I can probably get a tax donation of a few hundred dollars when it goes to auction if donated.

Or, maybe I can have it crushed and keep the cube as lawn sculpture. XD

My original plan was to disassemble it, weld the frame and select parts onto a massive steel pipe frame, and then paint it all one solid color. Turn it into a life size version of a plastic model kit, and plop it in the back wooded area on the property.

For SOME reason this was met with less than enthusiastic approval by my wife.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2023-03-27, 16:19

Quote:
Yeah, I figure I can probably get a tax donation of a few hundred dollars when it goes to auction if donated.
A lot time ago (maybe 15 years), we donated my wife's old car to the local NPR affiliate for them to sell for scraps. After realizing they had to pay someone to tow it, we started to feel really bad because we weren't even sure that they'd break even after paying for the truck, any necessary fluid disposals, handling fees, etc. Decided never to do that again and just to donate with plain old USD whenever the time arose.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2023-03-27, 17:24

You could also pull a redneck, drive it out into the desert, and shoot a couple thousand rounds of ammo into it.

You know, turn it into a "natural" black widow preserve.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
tomoe
Veteran Member

2023-03-27, 20:50

Quote:

Ahh, gotcha. I think the current RAV4 would count as stiff then. We got incredibly lucky buying ours — found the exact model (down to all options and color) accidentally listed under MSRP and swooped in a bought it same day.

Seen a man standin' over a dead dog lyin' by the highway in a ditch
He's lookin' down kinda puzzled pokin' that dog with a stick
tomoe
Veteran Member

2023-03-27, 20:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
FWIW, I only learned this in the past week and we’ve had ours over two years.
tomoe
Veteran Member

2023-03-27, 21:02

Quote:
Or, maybe I can have it crushed and keep the cube as lawn sculpture. XD
Like what John Chamberlain used to do?

https://www.diaart.org/exhibition/ex...in-exhibition/
drewprops
Space Pirate

2023-03-28, 00:04

Solutions to the Toyota stop/start "feature":

When MAX A/C is selected

You’re on a very steep incline**

Either power mode or snow mode is active

You’re turning the steering wheel or it is currently turned away from center

You’re repeatedly stopping the vehicle — such as when inching forward in stop-and-go traffic***

Your battery has low charge, has been recently replaced, or is disconnected

The brake booster has low vacuum

Your vehicle is in a high altitude area

The engine coolant, transmission fluid, or battery fluid have reached severe temperatures

When air conditioning or defrost is activated

The driver side door is opened

The driver seat belt is unbuckled

The engine experiences input from the brake (strong pumping), accelerator, or steering wheel.

j/k these aren't real solutions, just times when the system doesn't work.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2023-03-28, 10:14

Or just press the button that disables auto start stop.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2023-03-28, 22:25

Toyota is going to reveal the 2024 Tacoma next Tuesday...

drewprops
Space Pirate

2023-04-01, 05:47

GM just announced that they're discontinuing Apple CarPlay on a go forward basis. There's an article about it over on Ars. Needless to say this ensures that their products won't be on my shopping list.

kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2023-04-01, 07:26

The article did mention that it's only on EV vehicles that they're discontinuing it, so it's still an option for gas vehicles, which makes no sense, until you get to the point of the article in which the want to use the car to sell more subscriptions and learn more about the driving habits.

I'm not in the market for a GM car and have never owned one, but this feels like them shooting themselves in the foot by taking this option away.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2023-04-01, 10:25

As someone who has purchased probably 10 or more GM vehicles in my life, I would no longer buy one if I could no longer get CarPlay
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2023-04-01, 11:40

I think we'll be hearing similar announcements from many brands as they move from their own systems to the Android operating system.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2023-04-01, 11:52

Of course, in the old days you would be able to change out the head unit and have CarPlay. That day has long passed though.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2023-04-01, 16:02

This is an odd case of GM eschewing CarPlay and Android both in favor of their own proprietary platform.

That’s a bold move Cotton, let’s see how that works out for them.