User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Places other than Pure Volume to sample and find music?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Places other than Pure Volume to sample and find music?
JLG

2006-01-14, 06:21

Ever since Pure Volume updated its site and for some reason took away the "Top 100 Artists" feature, I don't think that its really worth using anymore. I liked looking at the top 100 bands that were generally the same genre of music I was into (Fall Out Boy, AAR, etc.) Does anyone know of or use any other sites that are similar to http://www.purevolume.com ? Thanks
Gargoyle
http://ga.rgoyle.com

2006-01-14, 12:44

Never used pure volume, but your discription sounds a bit like iTunes Music Store - You can goto any genre you like and hear a 30 second sample of any track

OK, I have given up keeping this sig up to date. Lets just say I'm the guy that installs every latest version as soon as its available!
BenP

2006-01-14, 18:43

Not exactly the same, but I less than three Pandora.
Wrao
Yarp

2006-01-14, 19:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenP
Not exactly the same, but I less than three Pandora.

Pandora is amazing.
atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

Send a message via AIM to atomicbartbeans  
2006-01-14, 19:53

Yeah... if a bit processor-intensive, Pandora is a wonderful music discovery tool.
JLG

2006-01-15, 01:09

Wow thanks for the great suggestion of Pandora...I love it! I was looking more along the lines of charts though such as the Top 10 on purevolume, but this custom radio thing that pandora allows you to do is great. If anyone knows of any chart sites then please share them, but thank you again for the pandora suggestion I think its a great site.
AsLan^
Not a tame lion...

2006-01-15, 01:18

Thanks for the Pandora link, defiantely a great service
Zodiac
Shiny, Musky, Fleshy Member

2006-01-15, 03:10

http://www.audiri.com

It's pretty much the same except with 200mb free space.
murbot
Hoonigan

2006-01-15, 11:00

I'm loving these music threads. Great links, boys. I've found quite a few great bands that I hadn't heard of before.

ghoti
owner for sale by house

2006-02-03, 18:39

Wow, I just discovered Pandora. Simply awesome. Excellent user interface too, and I really like their explanations why they picked a song.

But that "Buy this song from iTunes" function is going to kill me ...
InactionMan
Veteran Member

2006-02-04, 00:34

Pandora is pretty badass but I've gotten some bizarre results. Picking DFA1979 gave me a bunch a cheesy dance songs, I guess because the first DFA song it played was from their remix album, so I let that one slide. Next I entered Joy Division as the band so it started playing She's Lost Control (which is a thoroughly asskicking song) but the next song it played was by John Motherfucking Mayer!!! What kind of sick bastard would in any way link Ian Curtis to that suckass? Seriously.

It fried my brain.

I'll try the site again in a few days after I calm down. Until then I'll be listening to Ceremony on repeat.
pilot1129

Send a message via AIM to pilot1129  
2006-02-04, 01:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by InactionMan
Pandora is pretty badass but I've gotten some bizarre results. Picking DFA1979 gave me a bunch a cheesy dance songs, I guess because the first DFA song it played was from their remix album, so I let that one slide. Next I entered Joy Division as the band so it started playing She's Lost Control (which is a thoroughly asskicking song) but the next song it played was by John Motherfucking Mayer!!! What kind of sick bastard would in any way link Ian Curtis to that suckass? Seriously.

It fried my brain.

I'll try the site again in a few days after I calm down. Until then I'll be listening to Ceremony on repeat.

Here it is... on the FAQ page

Quote:
Q: My station just played two artists that I never thought would go together. How can that happen?

At the Music Genome Project, we treat each song as a totally unique musical performance. We don't have a pre-conceived notion of what the artist usually sounds like, or how they're usually categorized - in fact we're really trying to avoid that. What matters is the song itself. We carefully listen for all of its elements; everything from melody, harmony and rhythm, to instrumentation, orchestration, arrangement, lyrics, and all things vocal, and use that to build the playlists.

Since we never pigeonhole artists, and since artists often record in a variety of styles, you'll see some surprising bedfellows. But you will also hear a much broader and more interesting mix - all centered around your favorite parts of the musical universe.