AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Grandfather passed...

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Grandfather passed...
Page 2 of 2 Previous 1 [2]  Thread Tools
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-12-05, 16:46

You're certainly welcome. Didn't mean to get "speech-y" above; certainly don't want it to turn into one of "those threads".

I was thinking about him a little while ago, how he'd often go against character and just drop these hilarious, racy little comments or nuggets out of the blue, in response to something on TV or whatever. I'd laugh so hard, and he wasn't even trying...he was just making an observation, but he'd say it in such a funny way, and that wouldn't be his usual way, that it was a riot.

I'd be like "huh?!?" and look over and he'd have this big "bet you didn't know I knew that word" smile going. We'd just sit and make each other laugh (he liked how I told stories about work and stuff; and we had this running KFC thing between us, at how poor the service was at the location near his house, and how every time one of us went there, separately or together, it was just always a complete disaster and mess).

Oh man...

I was thinking, early this morning, how glad I was that I went by his place Saturday and hung out for so long. I'd actually turned down lunch with some friends (knowing I could see them later that evening or whatever). I felt confident that the surgery would be a success (it never entered my mind that he wouldn't come from the hospital), but I wanted to see him the day before, just the two of us. When I left, we hugged and I kissed his head and we both stood there and told each other exactly how we felt about each other. I'm so glad that was how our "goodbye" (even though we didn't know it at the time) was. But I think back now, a few days later, on how he phrased a couple of things, and how the hug lingered a little longer than usual, and now I kinda wonder if maybe he knew, or had some sort of inkling?

Perhaps.

In any case, there are no regrets, nothing left unsaid and not one iota of "woulda/coulda/shoulda" in the picture. I'm so very thankful for that. The last thing he heard me say as I got into my car was "I love you, and I'll see you tomorrow afternoon!"

So I know that. When I think of this whole thing through those sorts of things above, it all feels so much nicer and easier. It's not so sad.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2007-12-05, 17:27

You're very lucky to have had him in your life, and to have that regret-free finale to your relationship. I was quite close to my grandfather, but wasn't there when he finally died, instead I was a continent away trying to meet a work deadline, before I flew out. He passed before I could get there. When it became obvious that I wasn't going to make it in time, I said my goodbyes over the phone, and he was too weak to reply. I'll never know what was going through his head, or what his face held in those moments, and that's a regret I will live with for the rest of my life. It's been a few years, and I still miss him regularly.
RichieB

2007-12-05, 19:21

My condolences to you and your family. I am sorry for your loss.
MBHockey
skates=grafs

2007-12-05, 20:10

It sounds like he lead an interesting and fulfilling life that turned him into a great person. It's always sad to see someone like that go. I'm sorry for your loss, Paul. Good souls like that will always be missed.
¡Damned!

2007-12-05, 22:37

Hey, Paul. I'm sorry for your loss. Truly.

Your stories ring so true with me as well, that is, semi-raised by your grandfolks (as I was)....I would'nt of wanted it any other way.

I'm not very good at this, obviously, but you have whatever I can put out there.

So it goes.
Foj
Veteran Member

2007-12-05, 22:45

I like that picture of him weighing the tomatoes.

It's always hard when someone close passes. Especially when you think that person will 'always' be around.