AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

iPhone 2.0 Problems

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iPhone 2.0 Problems
Page 1 of 3 [1] 2 3  Next Thread Tools
Gargoyle
http://ga.rgoyle.com

2008-07-12, 04:09

I have started a new thread because I don't want to confuse this one with people having problems with the activation, or people using the leaked software.

I updated my iPhone and I have a few gripes and just wanna see how many of you are having similar issues.
  • Scrolling is juddering. Especially bad on photo library and settings screens.
  • All my homepage icons moved back to the default locations. Wonder what else gets missed from the backup iTunes keeps?
  • Remote refuses to connect to my iTunes library. It shows up for me to enter the pin number and then just spins and eventually says unable to find library!

OK, I have given up keeping this sig up to date. Lets just say I'm the guy that installs every latest version as soon as its available!

Last edited by Gargoyle : 2008-07-12 at 04:20.
SpecMode
Wait what

2008-07-12, 04:18

With regard to Remote, make sure that the firewall is set to allow connections to iTunes - I ran into the same issue earlier.
Gargoyle

2008-07-12, 04:21

Firewall is off
SpecMode
Wait what

2008-07-12, 04:30

There is a new checkbox in the iTunes' Preferences: Go to Advanced -> General, and make sure "Look for iPhone & iPod touch Remotes" is checked. I can't think of why it wouldn't be, since mine was checked before I even knew it existed, but it's worth looking at.
Gargoyle

2008-07-12, 04:50

Checked. Just to be clear, I can stream my shared library to my MacBook no problems.

I just connected remote to my MacBook no problems and I can control that OK. I bet it's my P.O.S BT Home hub.... Worst router I have ever had!

OK, I have given up keeping this sig up to date. Lets just say I'm the guy that installs every latest version as soon as its available!
v.noir

2008-07-12, 06:27

Perhaps a restore of your iPhone? I know you kind of just did it, but you never know. That's what I'd do.
k squared

2008-07-12, 12:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargoyle View Post
  • All my homepage icons moved back to the default locations. Wonder what else gets missed from the backup iTunes keeps?
  • Remote refuses to connect to my iTunes library. It shows up for me to enter the pin number and then just spins and eventually says unable to find library!
My icons didn't change location, but I did notice some visual lag. I have noticed that the iPhone OSX acts similar to Mac OSX in that the interface is slower upon restart because the OS hasn't cached anything yet.
Mr Ten

2008-07-12, 12:43

In general, I've noticed the screen to be slow and jittery like previously mentioned, the reaction time in typing is not instant like it used to be, you'll type quickly and watch letters catch up, etc.

The phone fits more nicely in your hand (I bought the white 16 model), the speaker, speakerphone, ringers, noises, etc., all are louder but confusingly less clarity, almost a loud-muffle like Bose eq, but all in all, works well.

The GPS is a great add-on too. And downloading and installing apps were easy. Pretty good experience overall for me, thus far, we'll see over time if it was worth a few hundred for these and future little upgrades.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2008-07-12, 13:56

Though these aren't problems per-say, they are things I wish it had:

- Stronger vibrate because when I was at the bar last night, I missed a couple calls because I couldn't feel it. I never had that problem with my Sidekick.
- Vibrate only for text messages and AIM.
- Being able to turn the phone horizontally when texting because it would make the keypad easier to type on.

Also, has anyone been having trouble with AIM? Whenever I go to sign in, it'll sign me in then immediately quit. I'm gonna try uninstalling it and re-installing it and see if that helps.

I wanted to add that the AIM program sucks balls. It boots you whenever you switch to a different program or the phone locks. I thought they said it would be Push so you would get them whenever you log in? Also, when I was looking around in there, I didn't see a logoff option. I also wish that you could rotate the phone horizontally to type for AIM.

Hopefully someone else releases another chat client. I would pay for something better.

Edit: I found some answers to my questions. The sign-off is in the settings area. Also, uninstalling and reinstalling figured it for me.

Is there a way to rearrange icons on the phone menu?

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
Ryan
Veteran Member

2008-07-12, 14:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yontsey View Post
Is there a way to rearrange icons on the phone menu?
Press and hold on an icon until they all start wiggling. From there you can drag them around.
RichieB

2008-07-12, 14:36

My itunes freezes up everytime I try to sync my music on my freshly purchased iPhone 3g? I've tried doing a complete restore on the iPhone to no avail...

Here tonight, we have, ah, apple and orange. We all different, but in the end, we all fruit.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2008-07-12, 14:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieB View Post
My itunes freezes up everytime I try to sync my music on my freshly purchased iPhone 3g? I've tried doing a complete restore on the iPhone to no avail...
hmmmm....I havent ran into any sync issues yet. Actually, everything runs real smooth on mine. I'm pleased except a few minor issues I have.
RichieB

2008-07-12, 15:01

Quote:
hmmmm....I havent ran into any sync issues yet. Actually, everything runs real smooth on mine. I'm pleased except a few minor issues I have.
I've narrowed it down further... any playlists created by iTunes itself (like the "Purchased" playlist appearing under the iTunes store, or "Audiobooks" sync over no problems.) The moment I try to sync a playlist created by me, iTunes freezes. I've tried deleting and recreating the playlists but no joy.

Here tonight, we have, ah, apple and orange. We all different, but in the end, we all fruit.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2008-07-12, 15:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieB View Post
I've narrowed it down further... any playlists created by iTunes itself (like the "Purchased" playlist appearing under the iTunes store, or "Audiobooks" sync over no problems.) The moment I try to sync a playlist created by me, iTunes freezes. I've tried deleting and recreating the playlists but no joy.
Wow...that's really weird. That sucks. I'm sorry to hear of your misfortunes.
T-Man
The Hoarding Packrat™

2008-07-12, 18:29

Anyone having Mail open to a blank scroll-screen with the top and bottom bars, then quitting ?..

I can't even delete – let alone edit – my mail accounts... Trying to delete my MobileMe account merely turns off all the Push except mail.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2008-07-12, 22:09

I've been having programs randomly quit on me too
ime_NY

2008-07-12, 23:50

I've had nothing but headaches the last 24 hours.

After installing the 2.0 software the following happened:

1.) iPhone randomly reset about 5 times within the first 2 hours after install. For some reason, it took longer than usual for the white Apple logo to disappear and the home screen to pop up; i.e., it took about 2 minutes to get from moment of reset to initial appearance of wallpaper.

2.) I did download some free aps. However, when I deleted some of them twice (i.e, delete them from the iPhone AND delete them from iTunes), these applications would reappear. This did not happen once, but at least 3 times. The most infuriating one is WeatherBug.

3.) Sliding between the home screens is slower than pre-2.0 install.

4.) Typing is slower. Exactly just as how Mr. Ten has described.

5.) Syncing took about 50 minutes to complete.

6.) Random quitting by programs

and most frustrating......

7.) With the battery run down to the 20% warning, it shut off, and has refused to power up. I've plugged it into my wall charger. Nothing. I've plugged into 3 different USB ports, hoping that'll prompt iTunes to open and sync automatically. Nothing, nothing, and nothing.

So now I've reserved time with the Genius Bar. Hopefully, the battery issue is easily fixable (it's less than a year old, and I have Apple Care)......but I've read that there's at least a 3 day turn around period for battery replacements. So if this is indeed a battery issue, I may just have to get a cheap pre-paid phone to last me the next few days. Sigh.

I hope everyone else is doing much better with their issues
timmmee

2008-07-13, 00:14

My issues haven't been extremely serious, but they're definitely there.

I have:

*Random crashes -> resets when starting some applications (most notably AIM, Facebook)
*Random stuttering in scrolling through contacts
*Random lag in using any buttons (I'll have to hit them a few times sometimes)
*Typing suggestions take a second or two to pop up, whereas they used to be basically instantaneous

These do just happen randomly and not all that often. But hopefully they will be addressed in some sort of update soon. I'm sure there is a bit of work to be done with such a large update. I mean OMG applications!!!11 iPhones are probably resetting out of surprise.

My experiences with Remote have been almost 100% good though. Once or twice it didn't connect but all I did was just back out and try again and voila.
almost2mac

2008-07-13, 00:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargoyle View Post
I have started a new thread because I don't want to confuse this one with people having problems with the activation, or people using the leaked software.

I updated my iPhone and I have a few gripes and just wanna see how many of you are having similar issues.
Have you tried turning the phone off and restarting it completely after you upgraded?

I had some of the same problems at first where apps downloaded directly to the phone would crash to the menu. Restarting the phone seemed to fix this and straighten out some other wonkiness.
Gargoyle

2008-07-13, 07:11

I restored my iPhone and told it not to restore the backup. It seems to be working better now. Remote is working and I might even get myself an AirPort extreme with airtunes now

Oh, I have re-setup my old Airport Extreme base station and set the phone to use that wifi, so I am not sure if that is why remote is now working, I will try it via my homehub later.

T-Man
The Hoarding Packrat™

2008-07-13, 07:20

I've discovered that my problem with Mail seems to be because of it having been JailBroken, so I guess I'll install 2.0 it as a new iPod...
spikeo

2008-07-13, 19:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ime_NY View Post
7.) With the battery run down to the 20% warning, it shut off, and has refused to power up. I've plugged it into my wall charger. Nothing. I've plugged into 3 different USB ports, hoping that'll prompt iTunes to open and sync automatically. Nothing, nothing, and nothing.

So now I've reserved time with the Genius Bar. Hopefully, the battery issue is easily fixable (it's less than a year old, and I have Apple Care)......but I've read that there's at least a 3 day turn around period for battery replacements. So if this is indeed a battery issue, I may just have to get a cheap pre-paid phone to last me the next few days. Sigh.

I hope everyone else is doing much better with their issues
If you have an old-style Universal Connector, try plugging the Firewire in and charging over that. If not you're out of luck with that individual unit - AFAIK Apple's policy is that battery repairs and swaps are usually more hassle than they care to deal with in-store, so you'll likely receive a new unit.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2008-07-13, 23:13

I don't like the fact that none of the chargers or accessories I have for my other ipods work on my iPhone.

I have a car charger for my ipods, a FM transmitter that I used with my classic and touch, and 2 wall chargers, one of which is an apple one.

None of them support the iPhone. Ridiculous.

@yontsey
T-Man
The Hoarding Packrat™

2008-07-14, 08:09

Quote:
I don't like the fact that none of the chargers or accessories I have for my other ipods work on my iPhone.
Is this with the new or old iPhone, or does it not matter which ?

A shame, since I had made myself a dock for my touch from the box, and will be getting a 3G soon... It was annoying to make.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2008-07-14, 08:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Man View Post
Is this with the new or old iPhone, or does it not matter which ?

A shame, since I had made myself a dock for my touch from the box, and will be getting a 3G soon... It was annoying to make.
It's a new iPhone. Got it friday.

Granted, the car charger is one I got off ebay, but like I said, one of the wall chargers is an Apple one. It's just very frustrating because I didn't want to have to buy a new car charger.

I don't understand why the FM transmitter would work on the touch but not the iPhone.

@yontsey
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2008-07-14, 09:14

Well, the chargers and transmitters thing was true for iPhone 1.0 too. The transmitter thing I think is just an issue of awkwardness of having to try to disconnect and answer a call while in traffic, though maybe the fm interferes with the phone signal or something.

The random crashes and odd behavior/freezes are the symptoms of an OS that wasn't quite ready to go out the door.
noleli2

2008-07-14, 10:15

Quote:
- Vibrate only for text messages and AIM.
Whoa, whoa. There's no vibrate-only for text messages? That makes no sense.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2008-07-14, 10:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by noleli2 View Post
Whoa, whoa. There's no vibrate-only for text messages? That makes no sense.
No, when you go to settings > sounds > text messages, it has "None" and then about 6 different sounds to choose from.

I wish the ringer vibrate was stronger too because usually when you're around any sort of noise it's hard to hear/feel it.

Actually, when I was just messing around with it, I have no vibrate with the ringer even though I have it on and on full blast. Am I doing something wrong? It's a custom ringtone I got from iTunes.

@yontsey
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2008-07-14, 11:53

Maybe your buzzer is on its way out? My iPhone's buzzer started acting erratically about a month ago. Would cut out and wouldn't work for hours or even a day or two. Every time I'd think about getting the buzzer checked out, it would start working again.

It's still working now, but I'm outside the warranty period so I'm SOL if it dies permanently.

[on topic]
I've noticed the Settings menus take forever to draw and display compared to v1.1.4.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2008-07-14, 12:28

Well it's a new phone, but I guess it does vibrate. I tested it out, but it's not as strong as some cell phones I've had in the past.

@yontsey