iTunes 5 Installer issue

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iTunes 5 Installer issue
Carlos Net

Send a message via AIM to Carlos Net Send a message via MSN to Carlos Net  
2005-09-07, 15:26

Copied from my post in the general iTunes 5 thread:

Quote:
The installer is giving me grief to say the least. Open......Continue, etc......Agree......Install......type in password......."Please quit iTunes before beginning this update."

WHAT THE HELL?!

I'm not RUNNING iTunes. First time I got the message, yeah, iTunes was running. So I quit it, hit OK. "Please quit iTunes before beginning this update." Okay...so the installer hasn't noticed I quit it yet. Hit OK. "Please quit iTunes before beginning this update." Hammer OK repeatedly. Try to quit installer. "The window cannot be closed because the Installer is busy." Damn right it's busy, giving me meaningless dialogs... *grumble* Okay, force quit Installer. Oh, the dialog's still there. Hit OK. "Please quit iTunes before beginning this update." Yep, it just keeps popping up. Okay, FINE. Eject iPod. Prevent Dashboard from starting when I log in (maybe it's getting confused because of an iTunes-related widget...). Log out. Log in. Load installer. Blah...blah...blah... "Please quit iTunes before beginning this update." Glare at installer. Force quit. Restart the freaking computer. Log in. Run installer. "Please quit iTunes before beginning this update."

Wander over to AppleNova in infuriated disgust.
In case that's too...dramatised...for you, the basic problem is that the installer for iTunes 5 results in a dialog box complaining that iTunes is running, regardless of whether it actually is or not. This dialog also, irritatingly, prevents the installer from being quit other than by force, and when force-quitted, the dialog remains, and keeps popping up whenever dismissed.

Any ideas as to how to overcome this?
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-09-07, 15:37

Restart your computer?
Carlos Net

2005-09-07, 16:01

Done it. Logged out, logged in, tried it, same effect. Restarted, same effect. Logged in without starting Dashboard in case it was a Widget-related problem, and without even starting iTunes once, same effect.

EDIT: Oh, and there is a way to 'get rid of' the dialog; just moving focus away from it works, since it's tied to some process or other. The dialog's still there, though; open Installer or Software Update and it pops to the front again. Talking of Software Update, should iTunes 5 have appeared there? It hasn't, and I'm wondering whether that's just because it's not currently in SU, it's not *going* to be in SU for whatever reason, or it's just not appearing there because I've tried to run the separate installer (even though it failed). I was considering trying installing it via SU to see if it worked any better.

Last edited by Carlos Net : 2005-09-07 at 16:06.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2005-09-07, 16:03

Weeeeeeeird

It must have left spoor behind during the force quit that is now causing it to think the same situation is happening.
stereo144

2005-09-07, 16:04

I have the exact same problem.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-09-07, 16:05

What if you drag iTunes to the trash?
Carlos Net

2005-09-07, 16:11

This is one screwed up installer.

It still thinks iTunes is running even when it's in the Trash.

This is getting really rather annoying now.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-09-07, 16:20

Okay, okay. I'll pry into the installer and see what it's trying to do...
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-09-07, 16:27

OMG

Lazy Apple developers!! They just copy-pasted the installation check from another installer. Can you guess which one?
Code:
######################################################## # Keynote must not be running my $APP = "iTunes\.app"; my $HELPER = "iTunesHelper\.app"; my $APP_IS_RUNNING = 0; my $SWU_APP = "Software Update\.app"; my $SWU_IS_RUNNING = 0; my $RUNNING_ERROR = "AppRunning";
So, check to be absolutely sure iTunesHelper, et al. isn't running. Go into the Terminal and try this:

Code:
sudo killall iTunes; sudo killall iTunesHelper; sudo killall "Software Update"

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2005-09-07, 16:30

My guess: the installer, when it detected that iTunes was running, set a flag in itself, or on the disk. When you forced it to quit, it didn't get a chance to clean it up. So the next time it runs, it sees the same flag set, and voila. Loop.

Try downloading the installer again. If the flag was set *inside* the installer package, then that should do it. At the very least, it'll let us know if it's inside or outside the installer.
Carlos Net

2005-09-07, 16:33

No dice. No matching process was found, and the Installer still doesn't work. On the bright side, I now have two dialogs floating around doing nothing. (Silly me, running Installer *again*. )

Lol at the pasted Keynote code, though.

EDIT: I already tried redownloading the installer again, too. Still happens.
stereo144

2005-09-07, 16:39

It's on software update now .

Oh my god...Same problem even when using Software Update. Haha awesome.

Last edited by stereo144 : 2005-09-07 at 16:44.
stereo144

2005-09-07, 17:04

If you having the SizzlingKeys app running, try stopping/closing it. Worked for me!
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2005-09-07, 17:10

Go to SysPrefs, Users, select yours, Startup Items, and *turn off iTunes Helper*, then restart.

*bingbingbing*

Bet that does it.
Carlos Net

2005-09-08, 06:29

Quote:
If you having the SizzlingKeys app running, try stopping/closing it. Worked for me!
Thanks. Looks like that was indeed the problem.

Damn you SizzlingKeys!

(Not really, SizzlingKeys is one of the best apps EVAR )
rive_sud

2005-09-08, 11:09

"The ordinal 21 could not be located in the dynamic link library MAPI32.dll." Get this message on attempted startup.

Any suggestions?

This is in Win 2000.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2005-09-08, 11:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by rive_sud
"The ordinal 21 could not be located in the dynamic link library MAPI32.dll." Get this message on attempted startup.

Any suggestions?

This is in Win 2000.
Get a M.... naw, too easy.

Sorry, couldn't tell you even where to begin.

Unless maybe it's...

*** Make sure you've turned off *ALL* related third-party utilities that you installed that might be, I dunno, related to iTunes, and if you don't, at least tell the people that you're trying to get help from so they don't pull their hair out for no good reason. ***

*ahem*
rive_sud

2005-09-08, 12:01

good call. yeah. nothing running (only bare minimum background programs), restarted the machine like a good little installer, searched for the file. don't have any third-party utils. tried uninstall and reinstall.

there. that's better.
Ichiban_jay

Send a message via AIM to Ichiban_jay  
2005-09-08, 12:43

I just clicked "OK" over and over and over and over again until it let me through.... On my mac.

The install for windows seems extremely bloated compared to the old itunes installer... took forever for it to do anything, even on a 1 month old computer. On a side note, Quicktime 7 is being bundled now with the windows version, so I guess it's officially out for windows.
rive_sud

2005-09-08, 14:50

apparently, thunderbird/mozilla mail messes with one of the drivers needed to run itunes 5. there's an executable fix file included with win 2000 and newer called fixmapi.exe.

i expect to have a much simpler time on the mac when i do this. this was for the work pc.