User Name
Password

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Apple Glasses
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-05-19, 11:23

Hmmm …

I don't know. What do you guys think about this? The rumors suggest there is no "camera" associated with Apple's glasses, which would make them a lot less creepy, but I just can't get on board with this stuff. It's a bit weird. And I wear prescription glassses, which would make such a device incredibly expensive, and I ain't into that!

Hmmm …

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-05-19, 21:01

I don't know. I don't envision me having something like this as a general day to day thing but I could see times when it would be cool. No camera would be nice, if it could show your camera on your phone like the Watch can it should be awesome. Peek around the corner without sticking your head out.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2020-05-19, 23:56

I don’t think this is a product Apple can successfully pull off without Steve.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2020-05-20, 03:34

There doesn't seem anything in the story that someone couldn't have easily guessed or surmised.

Apple keeps evolving ARKit, and they seemingly don't have quite the right hardware for it. Holding an iPad Pro (currently, thanks to LIDAR, the best ARKit device) or iPhone in front of something in order to get… an augmented something is a really awkward indirection. Imagine if your iPhone used a mouse as its interaction device, but not only that; you had to hold the mouse in your hand and move it around on three dimensions in order to control the UI on the display.

The software is also underwhelming so far. That could be because lack of good hardware doesn't entice anyone to try.

Glasses change the hardware part: you don't hold them, and they mostly just disappear.

But all that is already known and obvious. We've known since Google Glass seven years ago. We can also make an educated guess that Apple works around the entire privacy angle by leaving camera and mic out altogether. OK.

None of those seem like hard questions answered by the leaker. What's Apple's pitch? What makes Apple Glasses better than Magic Leap, HoloLens, etc.? What is the killer app? Has Apple thought of one? If not, have they won over any partner who has a good one?

They could go Apple Watch and make it… fashionable as part of the pitch. Maybe part of the frame can be easily swapped?
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-05-20, 13:32

I know there are use-cases for these things, I just can't come up with one for me. Much like Apple watch and HomePod, they are successful* products that have found no success for me. I don't wear a watch and don't want to start, I don't listen to enough music to justify a HomePod, and the idea of computer-based glasses is still super creepy to me.

So,

* "Success" and "HomePod" are words whose mutual use within a sentence are still unknowns.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2020-05-20, 14:46

I could see this type of glasses being useful for people who work in design type jobs. Designing a new landscape? Slap on the glasses and you and the clients and see what will be when the job is done. The same could be said for architecture, art, and more. Would I use them? Maybe.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2020-05-20, 14:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
I know there are use-cases for these things, I just can't come up with one for me. Much like Apple watch and HomePod, they are successful* products that have found no success for me. I don't wear a watch and don't want to start, I don't listen to enough music to justify a HomePod, and the idea of computer-based glasses is still super creepy to me.
Apple Watch is doing great, I'd say. Off to a rocky, premature start, mostly in terms of software (watchOS 1 really didn't get the use cases and interaction model right, and third-party apps really didn't take off as expected either), but also partially hardware (the first Watch was quite underpowered, though I'd argue so were the iPhone and iPhone 3G; the Watch Edition was… something else). By now, it's a solid high-end fitness tracker/smartwatch with a pretty decent market share and a good chunk of people who find it fashionable.

And year by year, they add useful stuff. They'll probably have even more sensors over time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
* "Success" and "HomePod" are words whose mutual use within a sentence are still unknowns.
Well, on the one hand, they reduced the price by $50. That's unusual for Apple. Either they wanted $299 all along (maybe?) and just couldn't quite hit that price with a healthy margin, or they really wanted $349, but saw low sales.

On the other hand, if the estimated numbers are right, I don't think Apple minds the business. Holiday quarter is probably the strongest, but even if the other three are a fraction, that's still a billion-a-year business.

(Me, I don't have one. I ended up getting a JBL Link Music for $99 instead. I'm guessing its audio is worse, though it's unclear just by how much. I kind of like its more varied colors! I don't care about it not having Siri. I think it has Google Assistant; I don't care.

I do care how flakey AirPlay/HomeKit is. Is that on JBL? On Apple? Both? I don't know. If a $299 speaker is as unreliable at, y'know, outputting audio, that'd be kind of bad.)
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-05-20, 15:47

If they had just made a really good BT speaker that I could stream to from my phone, I'd probably at least be in consideration. Instead, they made a mound out of a molehill.

_Ω_
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to _Ω_  
2020-05-20, 23:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
Well, on the one hand, they reduced the price by $50. That's unusual for Apple. Either they wanted $299 all along (maybe?) and just couldn't quite hit that price with a healthy margin, or they really wanted $349, but saw low sales.
OWC regularly has them for $219-$229 as long as you don't want the flash box. Quick count I currently have seven of them floating around between home and work.

Angels bleed from the tainted touch of my caress