AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

2020 iPhone SE Jabber Thread

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
2020 iPhone SE Jabber Thread
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-03-29, 15:32

Now that this new Air has arrived, pretty much making my decision pretty easy, about the only thing Apple-related I'm interested in this year is the rumored lower-cost, iPhone SE replacement. My SE was the best $399 I've ever spent, and, four years later, if I can make such a wonderful bang-for-the-buck purchase again, that'll be wonderful. Shakes out to $100 a year for something I use every single day (and much more than my Mac, once you factor in all the bed, couch, porch/deck, out-and-about, etc. usage)...can't beat that!

I know I'm probably gonna lose on the small, compact thing (I think Apple is out of the one-hand-friendly iPhone business), but if the price/performance/reliablity aspect is there, I can make myself get used to the larger size and adjust my usage habits/holding as needed. I'm just happy that the prospect of a new ~$400 iPhone is on the horizon, because I ain't paying those flagship prices, period. I don't give a shit what kind of screen, camera, etc. they have. I don't need - or want - a $700+ phone.

But that's truly about all I'm interested in for 2020, and that might not even be blatantly WWDC-related. It might come next week, out of nowhere. Didn't the iPhone SE just hit one day, back in 2016, without much fanfare, keynote unveiling, etc.? If I remember correctly, it just showed up on Apple.com one morning?

Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2020-03-30, 22:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
Now that this new Air has arrived, pretty much making my decision pretty easy, about the only thing Apple-related I'm interested in this year is the rumored lower-cost, iPhone SE replacement. My SE was the best $399 I've ever spent, and, four years later, if I can make such a wonderful bang-for-the-buck purchase again, that'll be wonderful. Shakes out to $100 a year for something I use every single day (and much more than my Mac, once you factor in all the bed, couch, porch/deck, out-and-about, etc. usage)...can't beat that!

I know I'm probably gonna lose on the small, compact thing (I think Apple is out of the one-hand-friendly iPhone business), but if the price/performance/reliablity aspect is there, I can make myself get used to the larger size and adjust my usage habits/holding as needed. I'm just happy that the prospect of a new ~$400 iPhone is on the horizon, because I ain't paying those flagship prices, period. I don't give a shit what kind of screen, camera, etc. they have. I don't need - or want - a $700+ phone.

But that's truly about all I'm interested in for 2020, and that might not even be blatantly WWDC-related. It might come next week, out of nowhere. Didn't the iPhone SE just hit one day, back in 2016, without much fanfare, keynote unveiling, etc.? If I remember correctly, it just showed up on Apple.com one morning?
Same, same, same, same, this is what I want.

Good news is, MacRumors has some cases surfacing as evidence saying it might be happening soon.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-03-31, 10:03

Yeah, I saw that early this morning. Not sure how closely third-party case companies bear on Apple releases, but all the rumors said Q2 2020. That’s tomorrow (although I’d shy away from launching anything on April 1...nobody will take the announcement/press release seriously and a lot of people may brush it off as a gag ). But I’ll wager that this new phone is announced/released by next Wednesday...as early as tomorrow, but possibly next Tuesday or Wednesday morning.

Now would be a wonderful time for Apple to release something affordable/reasonably priced, considering how sideways everything has gone in recent weeks. I think some of their upscale, “luxury” offerings are gonna take it in the shorts for a while, until things settle down/straighten out. Nobody’s eyeing a $1,100 phone or some of those uppity Hermès Watch models when they’re not entirely sure where their employment situation stands in the coming weeks. $1,399 buys a boatload of Ramen, Pop-Tarts and Angel Soft, you know?

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-03-31, 10:48

I'm really disappointed there won't be a 4" option anymore from the looks of it. I think it was the perfect size for a small one handed phone. Even if you remove the bezels and add FaceID it would work generally well. So small and yet capable.

It will be missed.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-03-31, 11:12

It will indeed. As someone who was in on the ground floor of the iPhone, from summer 2007, the whole one-hand thing has always mattered to me. Those who’ve come to the platform since the 6 have only known the larger, 4.7”+ screens/bodies and are fine with having to use two hands in many scenarios (one to hold, the other to tap/use), but for someone who’s spent 12+ years using an iPhone comfortably with just one hand - both securely holding it AND able to easily access every bit of the screen with my thumb - going larger will be an change I’m not 100% nuts about. Based on the time I’ve spent on the 6/7/8 of others, I’m gonna sacrifice a bit of secure grip or reach span at any given time, depending on what I’m doing and what I consider more important at that moment. I sure don’t like that...when using one of those 4.7” models, I have to alter my grip/hold in order to reach t far side with my thumb in a way I’ve never had to on 4” (or smaller) models. I fear I may become a regular dropper, having never been one all this time.

I don’t have baby hands, but I certainly don’t have Shaq hands either. The SE is raight at that upper limit of secure hold/easy thumb access. I’ve never wanted an iPhone that requires two-hands. Standing in a store, holding a shopping basket, I can always do everything I need on my SE with my other hand. If that changes too much, that’s gonna suck.

I’m hoping maybe there’s enough design tweak (smaller bezels, etc.) to help offset that a little? Maybe this upcoming one will have a slightly smaller, narrower body than the 8? Always a possibility...

I was hoping all along that’s what would’ve been done...a 4.7” from the iPhone 6/7/8 fits within the footprint of an SE case. I realize some tweaks may be needed for technical reasons, but to have that larger display in the same one-hand-friendly size of the SEvwouldve been a dream, perfect iPhone for me.

I mocked one up a real-life version with foam core, screenshots, etc. and it’s a joy to pretend with...iPhone SE body with the front an entire display like the flagship models, just in the ~4.7” size!

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2020-03-31 at 11:31.

Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

2020-03-31, 11:30

Quote:
I don’t have baby hands, but I certainly don’t have Shaq hands either. The SE is raight at that upper limit of secure hold/easy thumb access. I’ve never an iPhone that requires two-hands. Standing in a store, holding a shopping basket, I can always do everything I need on my SE with my other hand. If that changes too much, that’s gonna suck.
I'm baby hands and I hate the bigger models. Held a friend's XR and another friend's 8+ at Disney this Feb and I hated both.

Quote:
I mocked one up a real-life version with foam core, screenshots, etc. and it’s a joy to pretend with...iPhone SE body with the front an entire display like the flagship models, just in the ~4.7” size!
Dude, post pics!

"A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel my anger!" - Darth Baras
twitter ; amateur photographer ; fanfiction writer ; roleplayer and worldbuilder

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-03-31, 11:35

I don’t how to anymore. Dropbox seems to have gotten away from the hosting, which I used forever. I used Imgur(?) on a guitar forum but it’s been so long. I’ll see what I can wrangle up. Being home all day means I can pursue silly stuff like this.

EDIT: Capella, check your PM

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2020-03-31 at 12:10.

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2020-03-31, 12:15

Having owned a iPhone Xs for a year now, I really do wish they offered shorter phone again. The first screen on the XS in failed back in the winter, mostly likely due to bending. The people at the Apple store said there was no physical damage, but I cannot think of why else it failed after 8 months of use.

If they do have a smaller phone I do would still like to have a good camera in it, because I have to use it all the time to photograph work projects and cannot do it with a separate camera due to time constraints and weather considerations.

BTW if people need somewhere to host images here I don't mind putting some my website (I have unlimited storage), no trouble. Just PM for email.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-03-31, 12:29

kscherer probably needs to run in here and break this out into a 2020 iPhone SE thread...I seem to have steered it away from WWDC talk. My apologies.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-03-31, 12:33

Quote:
kscherer probably needs to run in here and break this out into a 2020 iPhone SE thread...I seem to have steered it away from WWDC talk. My apologies.
Fine, fine, fine!

Focus, boy, focus!

Edit: Rumors are beginning to indicate mid April.

Last edited by kscherer : 2020-03-31 at 14:12.

chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2020-03-31, 16:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
Having owned a iPhone Xs for a year now, I really do wish they offered shorter phone again. The first screen on the XS in failed back in the winter, mostly likely due to bending. The people at the Apple store said there was no physical damage, but I cannot think of why else it failed after 8 months of use.

If they do have a smaller phone I do would still like to have a good camera in it, because I have to use it all the time to photograph work projects and cannot do it with a separate camera due to time constraints and weather considerations.
I really don't like the combination of large and slippery on the 11.

The camera is amazing, though. Would probably need to be much, much fatter to get the same kind of optics on an iPhone 5S-size phone (which is still a form factor I miss).

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-03-31, 16:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
Edit: Rumors are beginning to indicate mid April.
Oh well. This Prosser guy...who is he? Why/how does he speak with such authority on "internal meetings" of Apple higher-ups? Or is he just blowing smoke and sometimes gets lucky? Honest question...never heard of the guy.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-03-31, 18:07

That second thing you said is most accurate.

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2020-03-31, 23:38

Watch for the April fools day mini-iPhone punches coming soon.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-04-01, 09:33

For a good decade or so now, I've made it a point to believe nothing I see/hear on this date. Kinda tougher in recent years - especially this one - when real life is weirder/nuttier than any April Fool's gag could ever hope to be...

But yeah, anything I see on the Apple news/rumor sites that seems the least bit "off" (or too good to be true), I just chalk it up to April 1st shenanigans. I won't believe anything I see/hear about an upcoming release today. Maybe tomorrow...

Unfortunately it's late enough in the morning (ET, anyway) that I don't think anything is happening today on the iPhone SE 2/9 front. Seems like it would've shown up by now. So perhaps next Tuesday/Wednesday, if that Prosser guy is just blowing smoke/guessing/making stuff up for clicks. If he's legit, then it'll be two weeks from now (and another week until they actually hit the street). We'll see.

I do hope, as I mentioned yesterday, that even if this is based on the overall iPhone 8 design (Touch ID, a forehead/chin still present, etc.) that maybe they've tweaked things enough to get the overall width - the dimension that matters most in holding/gripping - down a bit. If they can get those left/right bezels down and bring in the side of the phone a few millimeters closer to the screen, that would help make it feel a bit more compact/one-hand-friendly. So I'm hoping there's a chance of that sort of thing in the cards.

According to MacTracker, the iPhone 8 is 2.65" wide and the SE is 2.31. That's a difference of .34", just under 3/8". I'm hoping maybe there's enough wiggle room there for them to buy a little space and close up that overall width a tad. By the time you add a case of any heft/thickness to the iPhone 8, you're well at 3" (or more) wide.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2020-04-01 at 09:46.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-04-02, 21:25

Well this is odd...just saw this at MacRumors. Might launch tomorrow?

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads...orrow.2229260/

Has Apple ever announced something new like this on a Friday? I know things - iPhones - hit the street/go on sale on Fridays, but thus been announced/unveiled a week or two beforehand during a media event, keynote, etc.

Interesting.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2020-04-03 at 11:17.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-04-03, 11:00

Also looks like the 2020 iPhone SE is not going to be what most people are hoping for: An iPhone 5-sized phone with all the current techno-whiz. I know a lot of people who will be very disappointed with this.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-04-03, 11:37

Well I came to accept this some months ago. As much as I'd love a 5/5s/SE sized body with a full-face screen - my dream iPhone, basically - that just doesn't seem to be in the cards. I think, as I say above, Apple is out of the 4" iPhone business. But a 4.7" phone with the current processor/specs (A13, etc.) for ~$399? What's not to like.

When the original little SE appeared in early 2016, it sported the same A9 as the 6s that was released 4-5 months earlier in the fall of 2015. But beyond that, it didn't have all the various bells and whistles the 6s had. So there isn't precedent for this...the "budget" model is going to share some, but certainly not all, of the latest techno-whiz found on the $699+ flagship models.

I'm just glad people can get a new, nicely-spec'd iPhone for well under $699. Apple kinda lost me when they decided everything needed to be Big & Expensive™ on the iPhone front. The SE I currently own (and the one I plan to purchase) is the only thing that kept me an iPhone user these past four years! I know Apple is never going to be "bargain basement" (and I wouldn't want them to), but if they think everyone is cool with shelling out $700 (or $1,000+) for a new phone, they're sadly mistaken. This will be a huge seller, mark my words. I think the original SE sold more than they probably ever wanted to acknowledge.

This new SE is fulfilling the exact role the original did in 2016: a proven, earlier-generation (and smaller) body packed with the latest processor. The SE maintained the beloved, popular 5/5s body but had a A9. This new one sounds like it'll be based around the general 7/8 design (and its smaller 4.7" display), and come with the same A13 found in the flagships. That's pretty much a dead-on repeat of what happened in 2016.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2020-04-03 at 11:59.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-04-03, 11:54

Quote:
What's not to like.
The iPhone 8 is roughly the same physical size as the iPhone X and 11, so if you don't like that size you will not be happy with the new SE (if it is that form factor). It's a touch smaller, but not much. My first iPhone was a 6 (same size as the 7 and 8), and my second was a X. I had them both at the same time so I was able to compare the physical sizes. The X was taller by a few millimeters.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2020-04-03, 11:58

You must have had one of the large 8s. I just put my 6s and XS side by side, the 6s is half an inch shorter, but that is with cases on (exact figures say the iPhone 8 is 5mm shorter than the X). The seems like a small difference, but it is more comfortable in your pocket.

While I do like the shorter phone, I wouldn't want to go back to touch ID to be honest. FaceID is much nicer to have, particularly if your hands are wet or dirty.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-04-03, 12:06

There's that neat compare tool at Apple.com where, I assume, they show the various models in true relation to each other, size-wise.

Folks, as I did, probably need to get over the 4" screen thing. I don't think Apple is going to go back to it. It sucks, but it is what it is. You move on, adapt or go buy another brand. Is that Reachability(?) feature still a part of these larger models?

Height doesn't concern me, it's the horizontal measurement that affects grip/one-hand use. I do okay, with a bit of adjusting, with a "naked" 6s with its 4.7" screen. Isn't ideal, but it's doable. I wouldn't want it to be any larger...

I think the 4"-based iPhone is dead and gone, otherwise all the rumors would've been centered around that number by now. When I hear/see 4.7" everywhere I look, then I'm gonna assume that's what it'll be. And, for the reasons I gave in my final paragraph in my previous post, it makes all the sense.

There's been an ongoing debate about what the iPhone SE represented: lower cost or smaller size. While it's not "smaller size" as before, it's still smaller compared to all the flagship offerings, right? Four years ago, 4" was smaller compared to the 4.7" and 5.5" of the flagships. Here in 2020, 4.7" is smaller than the 5.8", 6.1" and whatever else is in the iPhone 11 lineup. Same type of thing, it just all skootched up a bit, in unison. It's all complicated/muddied a bit because those larger numbers do come in a full-face design to where the body isn't as large as it would be in a traditional iPhone design. But the point still (mostly) holds...you're getting a smaller (cheaper?) display than what's present in the current flagship models.

...which means, four years from now, you'll be looking at a 5.5" SE while the flagships are all foldable 7-8.8" models. It's all relative.

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2020-04-03, 12:10

Reachablity is there, but on the newer full screen phones, due to changes in how iOS has to do things, is a pain to use. It also only works to make the phone feel shorter, not less wide. I had to use it all the time when the top of my XSs' screen failed, before I had time to get it fixed, and it was painful to say the least. Half the time I couldn't get it to activate, and when it did you had to keep activating it over and over again to do anything that would be at the top of the screen. I had to use it, due to the hardware failure, but I wouldn't recommend trying to use it long term to improve functionality. The 6/7/8 size phones are more manageable side to side for people with small hands than the bigger phones.

Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

2020-04-03, 12:21

Some rumors say today. Other are holding out for next week. I love this particular leak of a Canadian Virgin Mobile placeholder.

For those of us buying, what capacity of storage and colors? If it's silver/space grey/gold, I'm going silver. If the rumor of red is true, red all the way. I have a 64GB SE right now and it's only using 30GB so I could hold at 64 - I'll see what the launch sizes are. If it's 64/128/256 I might do 128.

"A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel my anger!" - Darth Baras
twitter ; amateur photographer ; fanfiction writer ; roleplayer and worldbuilder

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-04-03, 12:41

The batch of rumors that hit yesterday all said white, black or red. I don't know if they truly mean black or just a quick way of saying "space grey"? My plan all along has been to migrate to Space Grey upon each new purchase throughout 2020. I've done the white/silver thing for ages (since my iPhone 5 in October 2012). My iMac since 2008 has been silver aluminum, as is this 13" MacBook Pro loaner I'm on. And before that, from 2003-2008, an aluminum 15" PowerBook G4. So 15+ years of silver/aluminum (and then, iPhone-wise, white/silver for over seven years).

So I'd like to get a Space Grey iPhone, along with a Space Grey MacBook Air (or Pro, should I decide to go that route). Just to change things up after so many years. Probably wind up getting a Space Grey HomePod and Magic Mouse 2 at some point as well...time for something completely new/different!

Capacity-wise, the rumors say starting at 64GB on the base model and I'd be thrilled with that, as it's 4x what I've had for the past four years and I'm using about 12GB of the 16GB available. So 64GB will feel like a mansion...I'll probably get a little bonkers with pics/video because I won't have to worry about that ceiling like I sometimes do now.

So...Space Grey and 64GB for me is the plan.

¡Damned!

2020-04-03, 12:42

There was some hubbub late last week about coming in 2 sizes - both the smaller iPhone 8 size and the 'Plus' size - but I haven't seen any reporting on that lately. Wonder if that still might be a thing?

So it goes.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-04-03, 13:03

I just heard one little tidbit about that, about 5-6 days ago, and nothing further or since. They might want to see how this 4.7" model does and then roll out a 5.5" Plus variant in a few months? Although I don't know how all that ramping up/manufacturing process works (how much of a lead-time they'd need, etc.).

I'm betting, for now, it would just be this small(er) 4.7" model for as cheap as possible. If it's a raging hit - and I think it's gonna be in these belt-tightening times - they may realize "hey, there's still a legit, valid market for phones that don't cost $700 and up!"

No shit, Tim.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-04-03, 16:19

Well bummer...I was really hoping this would hit today, just so I'd have something to read up on, think about, discuss here, maybe even order, etc. Gonna be a quiet, pedestrian Friday now.

Oh well, there's always next week. Not sure where the "it could come as soon as tomorrow" rumor from last night came from, but they missed it for sure.

chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2020-04-03, 16:46

Can't remember the last time we've seen a Friday product announcement, though. It's just not a great weekday to do that.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-04-03, 17:00

Exactly. But nothing else seems all that normal now, so I was open to the idea for whatever reason(s) Apple might’ve had.

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2020-04-03, 18:02

Maybe that was the plan, months ago, but given the current production issues, it wouldn't be available in numbers any time soon anyway.