"It's show time." – March 25 event

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
"It's show time." – March 25 event
Page 2 of 3 Previous 1 [2] 3  Next Thread Tools
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2019-03-25, 13:47

Apple's own credit card seems....icky.

Not that it's badly designed or anything, just the whole concept.

Hmm.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-03-25, 13:56

Yeah, let me just give my whole life to Apple. I mean, I know right now they say they are focused on privacy, but they also hand over everything they have if a judge signs off on it. Not that I plan to do bad things, but I like making people have to work for my details.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-03-25, 13:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
Apple had to know that these endless reveals were going to be a little weird, yes?
If they didn't know this then whoever scheduled it needs to be fired.
Dave
Ninja Editor

2019-03-25, 15:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
Yeah, let me just give my whole life to Apple. I mean, I know right now they say they are focused on privacy, but they also hand over everything they have if a judge signs off on it. Not that I plan to do bad things, but I like making people have to work for my details.
Yeah, I’m not completely sold on this being a good idea.

Plus, I mean, it just seems weird for a comp, err, cell phone manufacturer to have their own general-purpose credit card.

When I was a kid, people who did wrong were punished, restricted, and forbidden. Now, when someone does wrong, all of the rest of us are punished, restricted, and forbidden... and the one who did the wrong is counselled and "understood" and fed ice cream.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-03-25, 15:41

I can totally imagine a generation that has lived without a traditional bank jumping on this. Everything about their finances in one place through their phone. The fact that all eggs would be in one basket is just too much.

Really, today's event was just to show investors how many ways Apple can get residual, subscription income since hardware isn't where it's at any more. Nothing was really re-invented either. These services can be all obtained elsewhere. The integration is the key to this.

What happens when someone steals a 20-something's phone with a crappy PIN on it? That is a gold mine of location and spending data.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2019-03-25, 17:13

Agreed with what you guys said.....yawn. No interested in the credit card. No real interest in Arcade. Miiiight look at News+. AppleTV+ could possibly be promising. Wish they would’ve had something that could’ve rivaled DirecTV Now/Hulu Live/Sling/PS Vue to be more integrated into the AppleTV.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-03-25, 17:20

Apple News+ = Meh. I can think of two magazines I have read in the last year, and I wouldn't pay for either of them.
Apple Arcade = Intrigued, but let's see a price.
Apple Card = Intrigued, but what is the interest rate? If 17.99 like everyone else, then meh. If 5%, then sign me up. It's all about the rate.
Apple TV+ = Meh. Just a bunch of Hollywood elites grandstanding for their empires. Whatever. Until I see a cost and content, meh.
Oprah?!? = Good grief. Felt very worshippy. Makes me not want to subscribe simply for that.

but, but, but …

OPRAH!

oh, mighty Oprah!

I half expected her to announce a presidential bid, what with the way Apple sold her as the next coming of the Messiah.

Sheesh.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)

Last edited by kscherer : 2019-03-25 at 17:38.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-03-25, 17:31

Every time I see her all I think about is:
Dave
Ninja Editor

2019-03-25, 17:53

Quote:
Really, today's event was just to show investors how many ways Apple can get residual, subscription income since hardware isn't where it's at any more.
I kinda hope you’re right... maybe then you won’t need to open an iCredit account just to be able to afford the new Mac Pro (assuming it ever comes out).

When I was a kid, people who did wrong were punished, restricted, and forbidden. Now, when someone does wrong, all of the rest of us are punished, restricted, and forbidden... and the one who did the wrong is counselled and "understood" and fed ice cream.
¡Damned!

2019-03-25, 18:44

Price? Rate? Price? Exactly. A whole lotta questions and not a lot of meat besides some hopeful videos. Arcade and TV felt very unfinished & premature.

Also, where was the AirPower announcement today? It's on the Wireless Case packaging ffs. Why didn't they throw it into the mix last week?

CC is pretty cool though. I'm still fanboi enough to grab it.

So it goes.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2019-03-25, 18:57

A whole lot of meh, and whatever. Sorry Apple, not biting. Maybe this appeals more to people in their teens, or 20 somethings.

Apple News+ = No thanks
Apple Arcade = Not a chance
Apple TV+ = No urge whatsoever, I use an older Mac Mini for my TV and pick services you don't support.
Oprah = WGAF?????
Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2019-03-26, 00:16

Quote:
Yawn...
I'm to distracted to keep watching this.

Short version so far is Everything @ $10 a month.
Incredibly disappointing and uninspiring.

I can’t believe what Apple has become. They are going to have a tough time retaining top tier talent if this is their idea of innovation.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2019-03-26, 07:25

But The Card Is Titanium!!!!

¡Damned!

2019-03-26, 09:32

Saw this over at Gruber: “Variable APRs range from 13.24% to 24.24% based on creditworthiness. Rates as of March 2019.”

Eh. Not quite "low".
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-03-26, 11:00

I agree with Gruber. 24% is usury, 13% is not “low”.

I already have a card with those sorts of interest rates and “rewards”. That leaves just two things that Apple Card offers: Complete integration with iPhone, and a physical card with no redeeming characteristics, i.e. no number on the card, no cvv code, no expiration date, and no signature. Those physical things make the card a little less “theftable”.

Still, if Apple wants to shake up this market they need to offer interest rates below 10%. I would say 5% if you have good credit, and 10% if you don’t. That would be innovative!

I suspect Apple is afraid of the credit industry’s wrath on that one.

Curiosity: Who collects the interest, Apple or Goldman Sachs? It’s an Apple branded card, but Goldman is issuing it.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2019-03-26, 12:43

I was excited during the event for different parts, but overall, looking back, nothing too major.

The Apple Card would be cool to have, but I already have credit cards that integrate with Apple Pay, so no big deal there. That being said, I'll probably still try and get one.

Arcade is a no for me since I don't play games.

Apple TV Channels aren't for me as I don't really watch any of those channels.

Apple TV+ is definitely something I'll be subscribing too as there are already a few shows that I'm very interested to watch. I'm curious to what fills out the catalog, but I'm sure information like that will be coming down the road.

Apple News+ is something I already subscribed to yesterday as I do a ton of reading in News and having the extra places to pull information from should be pretty interesting.

Plus, family sharing with all of this is super impressive and I'm glad that Apple is putting that into all of these offerings.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2019-03-26, 18:15

It feels like the event was scheduled chiefly to please shareholders about future revenue growth, not to inform customers about actual stuff they can buy. Out of the four major announcements, only one actually launched yesterday. The rest is coming in summer or later this year.
Dr. Bobsky

2019-03-27, 03:21

Apple is banking (tee hee) on phones becoming the carrier of digital currency, the establishment of a banking enterprise in the form of a credit card company makes complete sense if at first quizzical. No one needs to sign up for this for Apple to develop a talent pool in banking.

You can ask yourself if this is relevant to a hardware manufacture. But Apple is also a vertical monopoly (or as near to it as possible)... and contracts with other banks to offer their services are going to affect the bottom line eventually when they could be profiting off of their own banking enterprise.

Apple is a huge corporation and I've been waiting for this form of diversification for a while. It's going to cause problems in other aspects of the corporation (as it always does) but this is how Apple, the company, innovates itself...
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2019-03-27, 19:42

So the question is, how long before Apple gets hit with monopoly charges like Microsoft did back in the day?
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2019-03-27, 21:02

Nothing legally wrong with a monopoly.

Plenty of things legally wrong with an abusive monopoly.

Big difference.

Apple doesn’t meet any of the criteria for even being a monopoly, yet alone an abusive one.

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2019-03-28, 19:30

IIRC Apple is under investigation for monopoly related chargers in the EU right now (something to do with Apple Music or the App Store I believe).
Dave
Ninja Editor

2019-03-29, 12:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
IIRC Apple is under investigation for monopoly related chargers in the EU right now (something to do with Apple Music or the App Store I believe).
Is “chargers” a typo or does the EU think that how a device is charged affects music playback? Normally I’d say it’s obviously typo, but the is the EU we’re talking about — they can’t even see why their new copyright law is a terrible idea.

Dr. Bobsky

2019-03-29, 12:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieran View Post
Nothing legally wrong with a monopoly.

Plenty of things legally wrong with an abusive monopoly.

Big difference.

Apple doesn’t meet any of the criteria for even being a monopoly, yet alone an abusive one.
Nothing legally wrong with a vertical monopoly. Horizontal monopolies are illegal in many different ways...
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-03-29, 15:18

Guess Apple couldn't make AirPower work like they had hoped. Guess it is a good thing I don't have anything that charges with Qi yet!
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2019-03-29, 15:47

I was really looking forward to AirPower.

Very shitty of them to announce this after they had already sold the wireless AirPods this week. I may not have purchased them, even though I do use them with my Qi charger on my desk.

AirPower just seemed like the perfect accessory for all of these wireless things that Apple has come out with.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-03-29, 18:34

The bad thing isn't that they canceled Airpower. The bad thing is that they pre-announced it. Apple rarely pre-announce anything, and this is why they should never do it!

I suspect that they will learn a lesson from this … Scratch that. I hope they learn from this.

drewprops
Space Pirate

2019-03-29, 22:00

I think the "they" in this case must rest on the shoulders of Tim Cook.

Steve knew better.

Dr. Bobsky

2019-03-30, 15:36

Let's be honest: Steve would have delivered a sub-par product and begged users to bear with them while they work out the kinks... Recall never buy Rev A...
Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2019-04-01, 21:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Bobsky View Post
Let's be honest: Steve would have delivered a sub-par product and begged users to bear with them while they work out the kinks... Recall never buy Rev A...
What basis do you have to say that? Revision A’s were typically bare bones in terms of features but they were not subpar. They usually were outclassed by revision b because a had been in development so much longer and had a more difficult time balancing trade offs to hit a pricepoint and release date.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2019-04-02, 03:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Ulysses View Post
What basis do you have to say that?
It's kind of a toss-up for me. He either would have shipped it, been annoyed by the feedback, then canned it, or we would have looked at internal prototypes, been annoyed by the project setbacks, and canned it before it's ever even announced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Ulysses View Post
Revision A’s were typically bare bones in terms of features but they were not subpar. They usually were outclassed by revision b because a had been in development so much longer and had a more difficult time balancing trade offs to hit a pricepoint and release date.
That's not my recollection of the Rev A stereotype. It was something like "they got the basic design right, but there are some kinks to work out, and we won't see the result of that for another 6-12 months". One can quibble over whether that made them subpar, or whether Rev A was even a real thing at all*, but I do think the idea of "Rev A" was to criticize that Apple would ship a design that showed a promise, but didn't quite yet deliver on it.

*) How many people can even answer this one, though? It's not like you'd typically buy both Rev A and Rev B and be able to judge differences. We're not all the Grubers and Arments of this world who spend their money on every single iPhone revision. I spaced out Mac purchases to three to five years, so I never really got two Macs of the same larger generation. White iBook, Alu MBP, unibody MBP, Retina MBP, … — never twice of those.

Even if you're a reviewer, you only get a fairly distorted view — you get the first few days of weeks of the product, not its long-term reliability.