"It's show time." – March 25 event

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
"It's show time." – March 25 event
Page 3 of 3 Previous 1 2 [3]  Thread Tools
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-04-02, 08:17

I pretty much remember the "skip Rev A product" line of thought. I was actually mildly concerned about buying the 15" Touch Bar MBP and what do you know, I had a reason to be concerned.

Phones were always better when you bought the "s" version because the original style change inevitably brought things like antenna issues and such.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-04-02, 12:13

If you expect technology to be perfect on day 1, then I suggest you stay away from technology.
Dave
Ninja Editor

2019-04-02, 13:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
If you expect technology to be perfect on day 1, then I suggest you stay away from technology.
It’s not a question of perfection — nothing ever is. It’s just that some things slip through the testing cracks and the first version of a new design tends to have more issues than subsequent revisions. They (probably) won’t be show-stoppers or anything, but maybe it turns out that the first version of a new USB chipset doesn’t work very well with USB 1.0 devices or something.

When I was a kid, people who did wrong were punished, restricted, and forbidden. Now, when someone does wrong, all of the rest of us are punished, restricted, and forbidden... and the one who did the wrong is counselled and "understood" and fed ice cream.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-04-02, 15:06

I think it has more to do with real-life use cases as opposed to assumed life use cases thought up in a QA lab. When you hand a device to a couple of hundred people and say keep it low key or be fired you will get different results than if you hand the product to anyone willing to shell out money and openly use it.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Quagmire
meh

2019-04-02, 19:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
The bad thing isn't that they canceled Airpower. The bad thing is that they pre-announced it. Apple rarely pre-announce anything, and this is why they should never do it!

I suspect that they will learn a lesson from this … Scratch that. I hope they learn from this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
I think the "they" in this case must rest on the shoulders of Tim Cook.

Steve knew better.

I wouldn't say Steve knew better... per se.

We do remember the 3 Ghz G5 and the white iPhone 4 right?

The white iPhone 4 eventually happened, but it was still massively delayed due to quality issues.

giggity
Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2019-04-02, 23:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
It's kind of a toss-up for me. He either would have shipped it, been annoyed by the feedback, then canned it, or we would have looked at internal prototypes, been annoyed by the project setbacks, and canned it before it's ever even announced.

That's not my recollection of the Rev A stereotype. It was something like "they got the basic design right, but there are some kinks to work out, and we won't see the result of that for another 6-12 months". One can quibble over whether that made them subpar, or whether Rev A was even a real thing at all*, but I do think the idea of "Rev A" was to criticize that Apple would ship a design that showed a promise, but didn't quite yet deliver on it.

*) How many people can even answer this one, though? It's not like you'd typically buy both Rev A and Rev B and be able to judge differences. We're not all the Grubers and Arments of this world who spend their money on every single iPhone revision. I spaced out Mac purchases to three to five years, so I never really got two Macs of the same larger generation. White iBook, Alu MBP, unibody MBP, Retina MBP, … — never twice of those.

Even if you're a reviewer, you only get a fairly distorted view — you get the first few days of weeks of the product, not its long-term reliability.

I honestly don’t know what you are referring to.

Example:
Revision A iMac vs Revision B

Major difference was an ati rage Iic 2MB graphics card vs an ATI rage pro turbo 6MB.

Powermac g4 rev a vs rev b was basically gigabit Ethernet and dropping of the Yikes motherboard.

Rev a vs rev b iPhone difference was 3G.

Maybe your memory/experience does not go as far back but I’m not the one who referenced “Steve”
Dr. Bobsky

2019-04-03, 00:41

It wasn't the statistics of internal components that were at issue. It was drivers, engineering failures, component failures, etc. Rev. B machines were re-mixed and had better, more consistent behavior. Sometimes people would wait the 18 months to get the machine with the improved stats, but the wait for Rev B phenomena wasn't predicated on that... Of course, this shouldn't surprise anyone, as when developing any new product users will find the bugs that can only be addressed in the second version. What's maybe surprising here is that Apple was cognizant enough that it withdrew the wireless charging platform before it hit the shelves.

[Besides: the iMac 'Rev A' was just a repackaging of the AIO G3 PowerMac...]
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2019-04-03, 03:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Ulysses View Post
I honestly don’t know what you are referring to.

Example:
Revision A iMac vs Revision B

Major difference was an ati rage Iic 2MB graphics card vs an ATI rage pro turbo 6MB.

Powermac g4 rev a vs rev b was basically gigabit Ethernet and dropping of the Yikes motherboard.

Rev a vs rev b iPhone difference was 3G.
Are you asking if there are examples of Apple tweaking a hardware design to improve its quality before switching to an entirely new design?

iPhone 3G switched to a plastic back to significantly improve reception.

The Verizon iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S altered the external antenna placement to reduce the iPhone 4's design weakness.

The iPhone 6s was structurally reinforced to make it less prone to bending compared to the iPhone 6.

And the Power Mac Yikes motherboard was called that for a reason.

Quote:
Maybe your memory/experience does not go as far back
Not sure why we're in some measuring contest, but my first Mac was an LC.

Quote:
but I’m not the one who referenced “Steve”
Me neither.
gnc50
BANNED

2019-04-18, 11:01

like good landlords Apple only cares about Xender Discord Omegle cash flow. Stockholders, not customers, are king. Stockholders don't care about innovation or changing the world, they just want thicker wallets.

Last edited by gnc50 : 2019-04-18 at 14:49.
Dr. Bobsky

2019-04-19, 08:00

your kind aren't wanted around here gnc50...
Smartmind
BANNED
I am a filthy spammer.

2020-04-28, 06:05

Once in a while humans might wait the 18 months to get the system with the advanced stats, but the wait for rev b phenomena wasn't predicated on that...

thanks whatsappgb.download/fmwhatsapp-apk/"]fmwhatsapp

Go away, spammer!

~ Kscherer

Last edited by kscherer : 2020-04-28 at 09:58.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-04-28, 08:05

Ken, do your thing.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2020-04-28, 09:54

They seem to love this thread, eh?
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-04-28, 09:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
Ken, do your thing.
DONE!
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-04-28, 10:05

I don't know how this stuff works...I guess these are automated 'bots doing this? Or are they actual people?

If it's the latter, that is so weird because in all my time of being online and participating in forums (guitars, movies, Apple, DIY/woodworking, art/design, etc.) it has never occurred to me, in 20+ years, to take the time/hassle to register at some forum, just to post spam and other unsolicited, unappreciated nonsense (I realize that describes the bulk of my posts, but you know what I mean).

And the ones who preface their shilling/linkage with some sort of vaguely on-topic gibberish are a special kind of shithead. They make just enough sense to make you think "well, they're apparently a bit brain-damaged or struggling with addiction, bless their heart*, but they are contributing some thoughts on the matter at hand...". But then you see the link and you instantly get to hate them, guilt-free.

*The Southern catch-all for "my gut tells me this person isn't all they say, but my raisin' dictates that I have to allow some wiggle room, just in case they are legit but kinda messed up in some way I might not be privy to". "Bless their heart" = they're beyond your help, but perhaps God can intervene.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-04-28, 12:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
"Bless their heart" = they're beyond your help, but perhaps God can intervene.[/i]

I suppose that's a nice bonus to being a mod. I can kick them off the pedestal!