AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

I broke my iPad, again.

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
I broke my iPad, again.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-09-20, 09:56

I'm really annoyed too because I left it in the reach of my little one and they pulled it down on the fireplace. It's only a single long crack across the middle of the screen, but it is really noticeable when you touch/interact with the screen. It's also the Mid-2017 10.5" so it isn't the most modern but yet still works great for my needs. Now a screen replacement is $450.

I could double that and just get a new iPad, but then this one is still good other than the crack and I would feel like it's a waste to recycle it. Apple won't give me anything for it since there is a crack in the glass.

The first time I broke it I dropped It on stone stairs outside of a church playing Pokemon Go. At least then it was me to dropped it. I can't blame my little one because he really had no idea what he was doing.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2019-09-20, 10:33

Yup. Happened to me a few months ago with the iPad Pro. Left it on the couch and the dog jumped up on it and cracked the screen. Paid to replace the screen. $600 later, I had a "new" iPad Pro. Grrr. Paid twice basically for the same iPad. They did just hand me a replacement on the spot though, so at least that wasn't a big deal.

I get it that screens are expensive, but these screen replacements just seem excessive.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-09-20, 10:41

They do seem way over priced. And of course, where else can you get it done with a same quality screen?

I was just talking to my wife about it and there doesn't seem to be another good option other than "repairing" this one. Even if I had it off to my kids as a school computer (after iPadOS drops next week) then I'm still forced to buy my replacement.

I've though about getting a "Max" phone to use as a single device instead of a tablet and a phone... but I like the larger screen size for my reading and games. I just don't think the large phone would do it for me and I'd be horribly annoyed by the size.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2019-09-20, 19:18

I tried the plus sized phone to replace my iPhone and iPad mini a few years ago. Just didn’t stick.

Now, I stick with an iPhone and iPad Pro and I use them almost equally at this point.
chinesebear

2019-09-21, 04:00

oh, man. Those are crazy expensive. I had no idea screen replacements in the US were so expensive! I can get my screen replaced for under $30 on any device here in China. Yes, it's not the same quality. But it's $30!
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-09-21, 09:42

You know, I’m glad you mentioned trying and it not working. I had considered it many times over. The thing is, I’m really wanting an SE2 like phone. Getting a plus sized phone doesn’t seem like it would actually fit the bill. Yet, it would bring me back to one device. It is safe to say I’m not going to try. I just don’t think I would like a Max at all.

You know, $30 for a screen seems really cool, but I would just cringe and the compatibility and such. I hate paying almost as much for a new one as a repair, but at least it will be like new.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-09-26, 22:50

I haven't moved on getting my iPad fixed yet. Still trying to drag out doing that since it costs as much as a Sonos Beam and Black Friday is coming. Now that Mario Kart is out on iOS I really notice the broken screen though. I can't play Mario Run. I press the screen like the pressure makes him jump higher and I can't chance splintering the screen while I'm trying to make it last.