User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

new imacs imminent confirmed by apple (Merged with hmurchison's thread)

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
new imacs imminent confirmed by apple (Merged with hmurchison's thread)
Page 1 of 5 [1] 2 3 4 5  Next Thread Tools
windowsblowsass

Send a message via AIM to windowsblowsass  
2004-07-01, 16:47

from apple.com

imac

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL....2.1.1.0.0.1.0
Quagmire
meh

2004-07-01, 16:50

It says next generation. Does that mean G5?
SKMDC
superkaratemonkeydeathcar

Send a message via AIM to SKMDC  
2004-07-01, 16:51

you beat me by a lash, but i don't think it's speculation and rumour at this point.
SKMDC

2004-07-01, 17:02

actually we could speculate what the heck it's form will be, so i suppose this isn't off the topic.
HOM
The Elder™

2004-07-01, 17:05

HOLY SHIT!

And people say that Apple isn't open about upcoming products.

I guess that the Paris iMac theory was right after all.

:wow:

This leaves me wondering. Why would Apple do this now, but not introduce the iMacs at WWDC?

CARTHAGO DELENDA EST

¡Viva La Revolucion!
SKMDC

2004-07-01, 17:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOM
HOLY SHIT!

And people say that Apple isn't open about upcoming products.

I guess that the Paris iMac theory was right after all.

This leaves me wondering. Why would Apple do this now, but not introduce the iMacs at WWDC?
somebody probably crunched some numbers and realized the iMacs are going to be gone before the (new) iMacs are ready.
announcing now, will slow down the old iMac sales making the 4 week window stretch a little longer, but they were going to have to explain the weeks when there is absolutely no iMac available for sale.
you people would freak out.

"What's a Canadian farm boy to do?"
Escher
Sub-PowerBook Lobbyist

2004-07-01, 17:12

Holy guacamole!!! I thought for sure this was a bad joke. But this is indeed what you get if you click on the iMac in the Apple Store.

Pretty embarassing for this to come out without official comment from Apple PR. I guess we'll have to wait for the MacMinutes and MacCentrals of the world to call for details from the horse's mouth.

Escher

I've been waiting for a true sub-PowerBook for more than 10 years. The 11-inch MacBook Air finally delivers on all counts! It beats the hell out of both my PowerBook 2400c and my 12-inch PowerBook G4 -- no contest whatsoever.
thegelding
feeling my oats

Send a message via AIM to thegelding  
2004-07-01, 17:16

september seems a bit of a ways away to have no product...oh well...at least iMacG5s are coming...let the mock ups and spec guessing begin

iMac paris...shaped like the eiffel tower or like a breast?? depends on the paris we are taking about i guess.

g

as a side note...my iMacFP is now a "classic" model...and a collectors item

crazy is not a rare human condition

everything is food if you chew hard enough
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2004-07-01, 17:19

Maccentral has Apple confirmation of this. It's definite now.
thegelding
feeling my oats

2004-07-01, 17:22

actually it was confirmed the moment i saw it at apple's own online store...much stronger than maccentral for proof...

anyways...now the specualtion of why apple has this rather large goof of no iMacs to sell....G5 too hot? new case design errors?? not enough G5 chips??

g

and when will they show them??? show and ship in september? show in July, ship in september? show in august, ship in september....or, horrors, show in september, ship at a later date (october, november)

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-07-01, 17:23

Isn't it just kinda "what it is"? Why the alarm, pessimism and drama? Hell, no one here gave a rat's ass about the iMac, oh, two hours ago. And everyone was kinda prepared for a September/Paris rollout anyway, so...

I think it's refreshing - and kinda nice on their part - to clue us in for once. Imagine if ALL the iMacs dried up and they said NOTHING. 68% of you here - and you know who you are - would shit yourself into a state of torqued-up rage never before witnessed by human beings.

Just two more months, AND since they mention "next generation", that can only mean one thing, IMO: a G5-based iMac. Honestly, do you think they'd go through the trouble of redesigning a whole new machine, only to stick in 1.5GHz G4s? They know people would storm their HQ and murder them.

HAS to be a G5. And I'm betting this is where the 17" display - albeit in a different enclosure (read: NO aluminum iAnything) comes into play.

Bet it'll be cool, whatever it is. I ain't buying one anyway, so I can wait all year. I do hope, however, that once they ARE announced, they're available and shipping right away. None of this "we're announcing today and taking pre-orders...we expect the 17" to be available in early November, and the 20" by late December..." bullcrap.

thegelding
feeling my oats

2004-07-01, 17:27

i agree...but it is weird to go to the apple store and try to purchase a computer (the most advertised computer apple makes) and see the words basically: none to sell you, go away...come back in a couple of months and maybe we will show you one..." reminds me of the doorman in The Wizard of Oz telling dorothy and friends to go away

g

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-07-01, 17:35

True, but look at this from the other end too: we now pretty much know - 97% sure - that this is going to be a G5-based machine.

This will probably become the most waited-on, lusted-after machine they've ever done. Combine that with the whole "20th anniversary" year vibe, the fact that the iMac IS Apple (sorry to all you tower/Power guys...that's just true) and it's their golden-haired flagship (way to mix those metaphors, Paul) AND that it's not been touched/updated in so long...to me, that just all adds up to something quite special and butt-whipping.

I truly, truly believe we will all be blown away, impressed and pleased by what's coming.

Doing this only stokes the fire, gets attention, gets people talking, etc.

All they have to do is deliver something that doesn't suck and we're all okay...

oldmacfan
Veteran Member

2004-07-01, 17:37

<mouth hanging open going duh>

Can anyone ever remember Apple doing anything like this before?

I am shocked.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-07-01, 17:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmacfan
<mouth hanging open going duh>

Can anyone ever remember Apple doing anything like this before?

I am shocked.
"Beyond the rumor sites...way beyond".

You know what, Apple has to secretly love us (and places like this). We could all just as easily not give a shit what they release, when they release it, never care about what Steve has to talk about a couple times a year, etc.

We could always go that route and see if they're happier.

I kinda like to think that - in their darkest moments (the Cube thing, the stock-busting bad forecast call a few years ago, the product delays, the hardware glitches, etc.), they can always count on a certain percentage of their devotees to hang with them, talk them up, praise them to friends and family, display their logo on their windshield.

Fickle, fairweather people we aren't. That's gotta be worth something. An iPod, maybe? A date with Ms. Cleary? A raffle for a ride on the Gulfstream?

matt

Send a message via AIM to matt Send a message via Yahoo to matt  
2004-07-01, 17:52

I think this is unproffesional! How can they stop taking orders without details to the new orders. The only people buying the remaining G4 iMacs are the few that are clueless about Apple, or just don't care. Why would they not give details and/or pics?

If they wanted to create better numbers, they would start pre-ordering TODAY! I know I would buy one for Sept delievery!!
Escher
Sub-PowerBook Lobbyist

2004-07-01, 17:57

I still feel like I'm trippin' on acid. :wow:

I just can't get over Apple's directness. I bet Apple Expo Paris will be jam packed. A 60-day wait shouldn't be too bad.

I very clearly remember the disappointment after the completely exagerated "way beyond the rumor sites" tease. It kind of gives me the jitters. I sure hope this "next generation" iMac really is a G5.

I wonder what display options the next gen iMac will come with, and -- assuming they are separate -- whether those displays will work with the new 12-inch PowerBook that is on its way to me.

Escher

I've been waiting for a true sub-PowerBook for more than 10 years. The 11-inch MacBook Air finally delivers on all counts! It beats the hell out of both my PowerBook 2400c and my 12-inch PowerBook G4 -- no contest whatsoever.
autodata
hustlin

2004-07-01, 18:03

Unbelievable.
SonOfSylvanus
Fro Productions(tm)

2004-07-01, 18:06

You mean Apple RAN OUT of one of their most high-profile products?! That's weak man.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-07-01, 18:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escher
I wonder what display options the next gen iMac will come with, and -- assuming they are separate -- whether those displays will work with the new 12-inch PowerBook that is on its way to me.
Oh, if they're separate I'd almost bet the farm they'd be DVI units, and work wonderfully with your PowerBook.

Now, that I think about it (since I wasn't nuts about dropping $1299 for a display), maybe there might indeed be a separate "iDisplay" (in glossy white or whatever), intended to go with the new iMac (IF it's a "headless" thing, but I doubt it). And if so, maybe they won't be as high end (expensive) as the aluminum Cinema Displays, will leave FireWire off and they'll come in the current wide 17" and 20" varieties...allowing me to get, say, a 17" for the $600-something range (or a sub-$1000 20")?

I don't know...it's all too confusing, and the next 60 days are going to be wild with speculation. I'd LOVE to get that 20" aluminum Cinema Display, but I wouldn't be opposed to a 1440x900 17" either, even in glossy white. Every other accessory I seem to have looks that way (iPod, mouse, keyboard, Creature speakers, AirPort Extreme base station) and looks just fine parked beside the PB.

SonOfSylvanus
Fro Productions(tm)

2004-07-01, 18:17

Spose this explains the early finish of Steve's Keynote... It seems to me that if he didn't even have time to make up filler for the rest of the Keynote that this iMac delay thing might have been a REALLY last minute decision.

bouncy bouncy
sunrain
Veteran Member

2004-07-01, 18:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegelding
actually it was confirmed the moment i saw it at apple's own online store...much stronger than maccentral for proof...

anyways...now the specualtion of why apple has this rather large goof of no iMacs to sell....G5 too hot? new case design errors?? not enough G5 chips??

g

and when will they show them??? show and ship in september? show in July, ship in september? show in august, ship in september....or, horrors, show in september, ship at a later date (october, november)
I'm not so sure that they'll wait until September to announce the details of these new iMacs. I know that the statement says "announced and available in September", but I've got to think that it might be "announced, and available in September."

...or maybe they're going to drive us nuts with bread crumbs along the way. Start with a silhouette on the front page next week, etc. and then give us bit by bit details until the full unveiling in September.

"What a computer is to me is it's the most remarkable tool that we've ever come up with, and it's the equivalent of a bicycle for our minds."
- Steve Jobs
Escher
Sub-PowerBook Lobbyist

2004-07-01, 18:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0
I'd LOVE to get that 20" aluminum Cinema Display, but I wouldn't be opposed to a 1440x900 17" either, even in glossy white.
Yup, pscates. I have a relatively new third-party 17" LCD (a ViewSonic ThinEdge) that will keep my PowerBook happy for now. A new 20" Alu ACD would be swank addition/replacement. But a new, more affordable 17" or 20" iWhite Display would be even better.

My new 12-inch PB with external LCD will fulfil my needs (come Tuesday). So I can wait patiently for Steve's surprise, whatever it is.

Escher

kretara
Cynical Old Bastard

Send a message via AIM to kretara Send a message via Yahoo to kretara  
2004-07-01, 18:59

Please make it headless, please make it headless, OHHHHH please make it headless

Ok, now that that is over.
I am rather shocked that Apple will have such a hole in their product lineup for 2-3 months.
Eugene
careful with axes

2004-07-01, 19:22

What a royal fuck-up, guys. AAPL is down 6% in extended hours trading, and it'll probably be down another 10% at the end of the trading day tomorrow. Great job, Apple.
propellerhead

Send a message via AIM to propellerhead  
2004-07-01, 19:23

I do believe Hell hath frozen over.

Apple practically preannouncing products?

I'm sure a few accountant's heads rolled for this..
Eugene
careful with axes

2004-07-01, 19:38

Yeah, let's see. No iMac for 2-3 months. No big deal, it only accounted for 1/4 of unit sales and 1/7 of total revenues.

What the hell?
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-07-01, 19:42

They'll more than make up for it come September.

Hey, at least now we won't have to listen to how much people think they suck. No longer a player, so things can only go up from here, right?
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2004-07-01, 19:57

well, it means that whatever they're coming out with, they've already revamped the production line to produce it. and whatever they're producing is different enough that it's not easy to go back to what they had.

to me that implies a new design. new design is usually built around the chip inside. so that screams G5.

odds are they redid the case to make up for the heat dissipation.

hell, maybe they'll make a headless mac for $400

Last edited by alcimedes : 2004-07-01 at 20:05.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-07-01, 20:03

That's so funny you posted the above (and I thought you were going to touch on what I'm going to say): since they had originally planned for it to come out in a few weeks (mid-July), then they've long-ago designed it, ramped up production AND, most likely, have shot all the promo shots and created the marketing literature for it.

So, because of that, I expect either an actual leaked photo OR a dead-on illustration (as the recent ThinkSecret display rendering) before the month is over.

SOMEWHERE that stuff is out there, floating around. One will get released, I'm sure. Apple hasn't kept a true secret in a LONG time (AirPort Express being the only thing I can recall that truly came out of left field, unexpected).

I fully expect the cat to be let out of the bag WAY before September. Hell, I say before the end of July...WAY before.