Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Office Variety Pens

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Office Variety Pens
drewprops
Space Pirate

2015-04-06, 01:13

Every spring I buy a box of pens and lose them slowly over the course of the year.

It's nearly time to restock and I'm going to get some Uni-balls unless somebody has a better suggestion.

Here are the Uni-ball options.

Whatcha got?

Brad, you stay out of this one... stop dominating all the threads.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2015-04-06, 13:49

I did the same exact thing because over the course of a year or so, I would either lose them, leave them places, or people would take them by accident. I ended up buying a real nice quality pen that I found off Kickstarter and I end up just buying Uni-Ball refills. I keep track of an expensive, quality pen way more then I ever have with cheap pens.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2015-04-06, 14:55

Uni-ball Signo 207s if you like retractable pens. Uni-ball Vision Exacts if you like an ultra-fine tip.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2015-04-06, 15:48

@Yontsey: Which one did you get from Kickstarter?
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2015-04-06, 21:12

The longest standing pen I have ever had was a Fisher Space Pen (bullet style). They work great and fit nicely when closed into a pocket. I currently don't bother with pens. I do most everything digitally now. When I need a pen I scavenge until I find one.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2015-04-07, 10:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieran View Post
@Yontsey: Which one did you get from Kickstarter?
I got the Ti-Click Pro. It has a great feel to it, I like being able to pick my own refills, and the stylus on the end is great. It's a bit pricy but I've had it for almost two years now with no regrets.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2015-04-07, 15:18

The TUL click pens, with the 0.5mm tip are like heaven.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2015-04-07, 23:36

I like Sharpie pens. Not the markers (well, also the markers) but the pen type. They do a Stainless Steel version too.
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2015-04-08, 06:19

Because I write with my left hand, I discovered a tendency to erase smudge and/or smear things I write on chalkboards/whiteboards/paper.

I've been given expensive fountain pens... ended up with stained hand and illegible page... pen sadly returned or re-gifted.

Ditto with some brands of conventional ball point pens, including those with 'erasable ink'... more ink on me than page.

On the upside, I learned which wrist angle/contortions were required to fail or succeed at legibility in front of class... if I didn't feel like being called upon, a few lines of smeared destruction of whatever carefully constructed formula, diagram, etc was on the board and the instructor would grab back the pen/chalk, recreate whatever I'd obscured, and call on somebody else.

So my choice of pen was usually a quick test of ink smudge = Fail, then if not, all about comfort.

Once I hit Uni and discovered a need for more content (faster note taking and denser writing per page), more frequent corrections and review, I switched almost exclusively to mechanical pencil with a comfy grip. Writing got smaller at .5mm tip, too.

There again, testing was first all about which grades of graphite were least likely to smudge.

The more writing you're doing, the more a comfy grip probably matters.

TL;DR Version:
If you write left and/or drag your hand over recent writing, smudge-proof medium matters more than nature of writing implement sometimes. Wish I could use fancy fountain pens though... if only as an old-school affectation.

All those who believe in telekinesis, raise my hand.

Last edited by curiousuburb : 2015-04-08 at 06:30.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2015-04-09, 07:36

I'm a lefty too which is one of the reasons I loved the SpacePen. It never smudged or not much if it ever did.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2015-04-17, 18:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
Uni-ball Signo 207s if you like retractable pens. Uni-ball Vision Exacts if you like an ultra-fine tip.
I may be wrong, but IIRC, the 207 is a pen that helps prevent identity theft during check-writing because the ink sinks more deeply into the paper of the check and can't be easily washed off as other ballpoint inks can be. Prevents a thief from changing the amount of your check from a measly amount to a huge amount. I may be wrong about the 207, but I think I'm remembering correctly. Anyone know for sure?
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2015-04-17, 20:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windswept View Post
I may be wrong, but IIRC, the 207 is a pen that helps prevent identity theft during check-writing because the ink sinks more deeply into the paper of the check and can't be easily washed off as other ballpoint inks can be. Prevents a thief from changing the amount of your check from a measly amount to a huge amount. I may be wrong about the 207, but I think I'm remembering correctly. Anyone know for sure?
Yep, the 207 is one of several Uni-ball pens that feature their "Super Ink" to prevent check washing.