AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

Resolve Zip Codes/Places

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Resolve Zip Codes/Places
ast3r3x
25 chars of wasted space.

Send a message via AIM to ast3r3x  
2004-08-30, 08:14

I'm not sure if this is GE or AO, but here it is. Is there an easy way to get a zip code from a name, like philadelphia, pa? The reason I ask is because of my next question which would be, if it's possible to easily get the distances between two zip codes.

Of course you could use mapquest or something, but the reason I ask, is because I want to have my server do it for a website I'm working on. I just didn't know if there was a program or database you can check or how it works. Thanks.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2004-08-30, 08:20

Man, you must be really bad at Google.

http://www.usps.com/zip4/

Select "All ZIP Codes for City/Town" in the menu. It still requires a street, though. So, just use a common name that every city should have like "main street" or "first street".

For your second question, see the FAQ link on that page and you'll find:
"Where can I get a database that cross-references ZIP Codes with latitudes and longitudes? Is there a ZIP Code™ centroid file or ZIP Code maps availabl"

Quote:
Where can I get a database that cross-references ZIP Codes with latitudes and longitudes? Is there a ZIP Code™ centroid file or ZIP Code maps available?

The Postal Service does not maintain ZIP Code maps, and the only related product we offer at this time is the TIGER/ZIP+4 File. This file relates ZIP+4 codes to Census Bureau data (e.g., latitude, longitude, track, Standard Metropolitan Statistical Area (SMSA), etc.). For more information about the TIGER/ZIP+4 File, call the National Customer Support Center at (800) 238-3150.

In addition, there are many commercial software products available with geographic information. Check with your local software store or search the Internet for related Web sites.
You're welcome.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.