Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

iChat beeping?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iChat beeping?
Wrao
Yarp

2004-09-07, 10:23

I didn't want to put this in the genius bar because it's not a problem, it's just a question.

I've noticed that when I have my speakers off, and sometimes when they are on, right BEFORE someone logs onto AIM, I hear a really faint beeping noise, then after that I hear the standard iChat login sound and see their name pop up.

The weird thing is that this happens when my speakers are muted as well as when they are on. I think I've seen it happen with other things too, but I can't confirm that really, because it might have just been iChat again in the background.

I remember a friend of mine's Cell Phone used to beep before it started to vibrate/ring. Like, it'd do this weird spasm beeping, then it'd stop. Then a minute later it'd start to vibrate and ring. almost without fail.

Sometimes I think technology is alive.
staph
Microbial member

Send a message via AIM to staph  
2004-09-07, 10:26

Hard drive spinning up for VM access maybe? Dunno…
Wrao
Yarp

2004-09-07, 10:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by staph
Hard drive spinning up for VM access maybe? Dunno…
Yea I figured it was probably a HD related noise, but it's just so...unlike most HD related noises. Like right there, as I was typing my HD started churning over some task and it did that usual(and very satisfying to a nerd like me) crackling sound.

But with iChat it's almost without fail that it will have a little intermittent beeping right before someone logs on.

This is on my 1.25 ghz powerbook 15"
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2004-09-07, 10:46

It's the audio circuitry warming up.

No, seriously.

When the PowerBook audio circuitry hasn't been activated for a while, it goes into a sleep mode. Then, when an audio alert needs to be played, the audio system gets a wake-up command... and this can cause a small chirp, even if the audio is muted. (Why even when it's muted? Because the wake-up procedure isn't under the control of the OS, it's strictly hardware.)

I *thought* a patch (10.3.4?) took care of this - I know it went away for me, on identical hardware.
Wrao
Yarp

2004-09-07, 10:49

That's Wild! I never would have thought of that.

I don't really care that it's there, not a problem, if anything, it's interesting to hear it, know someone is about to log on and try and guess who it is before the login sound.

thanks for the explanation.

if 10.3.4 took care of it, 10.3.5 un-took care of it