AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

*The Daily News Thread* - a place to post compelling daily news stories

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
*The Daily News Thread* - a place to post compelling daily news stories
Page 3 of 221 Previous 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7  Next Last Thread Tools
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2006-08-26, 12:07

I guess it doesn't make sense... was this thing still a "baby"? Why didn't he/it grow at same rate as the man did? I also don't get any mention of whether the creature survived or not?

A slightly off topic note: ABC video also had a short clip filming Bill Clinton sleeping at baseball game...
Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-08-26, 12:43

Don't know if any of you have grandparents with memory problems, but this science news article looks promising for the future.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/5279432.stm?ls
Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-08-29, 11:56

Quote:
TRIPOLI, Libya (Reuters) -- A Libyan prosecutor demanded the death penalty on Tuesday for five Bulgarian nurses and a Palestinian doctor on trial for infecting more than 400 children with HIV, the virus that causes AIDS.
Turns out confessions were coerced by torture.

http://edition.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/me...eut/index.html

Quote:
The World Health Organization and respected AIDS experts said poor hygiene practices in Libya's hospitals were to blame, not the nurses.

So, poor hygiene practices rampant and determined to be the cause of the spread of HIV (lax conditions and disease already present before the nurses even arrived), yet the doctor and nurses at one point sentenced to death for 'intentionally' causing the epidemic?

Geez, I don't imagine any more foreign medical personnel will be applying to work in Libyan hospitals anytime soon.
InactionMan
Veteran Member

2006-08-30, 10:57

Just saw this on the front page of the Toronto Star:

Holocaust Families Sue Frech Government

This is for transporting people to concentration camps during WWII. I'm not really a big fan of governments compensating people for past misdeeds. Especially in this case given that France was under control of the Nazis during the time.

I'm also not sure how hard it'll be to prove that you had a Jewish relative in France during the war that was detained, sent to a concentration camp and killed by the Nazis. I know Nazis kept meticulous records but I really have no idea if they're still around and available.
mattf

2006-09-01, 02:39

Not really a *news* story, but it's posted on the bbc news site.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/5301158.stm - An audio slideshow from an eel and pie shop.

Should interest Windswept.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-09-05, 13:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattf View Post
Not really a *news* story, but it's posted on the bbc news site.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/5301158.stm - An audio slideshow from an eel and pie shop.

Should interest Windswept.
Omigosh, Matt, I just saw this today when I was getting ready to post another story.

Thanks for posting the eel and pie shop slideshow. It was very interesting.

I even felt sorry for the eels. They looked quite pretty, and I was surprised at their different colors.

So, for the pie... I guess that's an eel pie, right? I couldn't really tell, but do you think they mince up the eel and then mix it with spices and sauce 'inside' the pie? Or is it just plain 'eel' meat that's put into the pie without added taste enhancing?

It sounded like the 'exterior' sauce was the most important part of the meal. The secret recipe and all.

Wonder if I'll ever have enough courage to try eel?

You've tried it, I imagine? Is it quite tasty, or what?
Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-09-05, 13:17

Wow, a Maine Bed and Breakfast cook turns into a killer? EEK!

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=2395254

Quote:
NEWRY, Maine Sep 5, 2006 (AP)— Three women were found dead at a bed and breakfast just outside Maine's Sunday River ski resort, and a cook who had been living there was charged Tuesday with murder.

Authorities also found human remains believe to be a fourth victim, a man, in a wooded area north of nearby Grafton Notch State Park, said Stephen McCausland, spokesman for the state Department of Public Safety.
frizz

Send a message via AIM to frizz Send a message via Skype™ to frizz 
2006-09-05, 18:49

Well, early this morning their was a fire at my High School
Link

Unfortunately we still had to go to school
Dave
Ninja Editor

2006-09-05, 19:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by frizz View Post
Well, early this morning their was a fire at my High School
Link

Unfortunately we still had to go to school
Huh? "Mom, the school burned down last night!" "I'm sorry, sweetie, you still have to go."
frizz

Send a message via AIM to frizz Send a message via Skype™ to frizz 
2006-09-06, 00:55

We were lucky and there wasn't too much damage done, so only one building was closed. They already have a repair crew there to fix it and we should be back in the building by tomorrow. However the kitchen may take a little longer before we have that back and working again.
A day off would have been awesome though.

The things you own end up owning you. It's only after you lose everything that you're free to do anything.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-09-07, 02:19

Omg! Human heads dumped in a Mexican bar.

http://edition.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/am....ap/index.html

Quote:
MEXICO CITY, Mexico (AP) -- In a horrifying show of brutality, gunmen barged into a bar in central Mexico early Wednesday and tossed five human heads on the dance floor, after covering patrons with their weapons, officials said.

Heavily armed men fired their guns in the air as they entered the bar in Uruapan in the central state of Michoacan, said Magdalena Guzman, spokeswoman for the state prosecutor's office. The gunmen ordered patrons to the ground before tossing the heads.

[snip]Arrests of major drug cartel leaders have sparked an increasingly brutal and ruthless drug war in Mexico as gangs battle for control of lucrative routes.

So far this year, at least six human heads of police and rival drug smugglers have been found in the Pacific resort of Acapulco. One washed up on a popular beach in the tourist zone, and the rest have been dumped in front of government offices.

In the past few months, heads have also been found in other states plagued by drug violence, including the border states of Baja California and Nuevo Leon.
Can you imagine wading in the surf while on a beach vacation and having a head roll up onto the sand?

My god, it's just disgusting. Ugh.
murbot
Hoonigan

2006-09-08, 09:38

Brothers Charged With Torturing, Killing Puppy

Quote:
She said she’ll never forget finding the puppy the boys stand accused of torturing and killing.

“He was still in the oven; he was tied,” said Marshal.

“All four feet were tied together, his mouth was duct taped and he was dipped in beige paint,” she added.
I wish them much pain and suffering in their lives, followed by a slow, excruciating death.
InactionMan
Veteran Member

2006-09-08, 09:42

I'm completely against the death penalty when people kill other people but these two fucks don't need to be alive anymore. I hope they enjoy being raped.
AWR
Veteran Member

2006-09-08, 09:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by murbot View Post
Brothers Charged With Torturing, Killing Puppy
I wish them much pain and suffering in their lives, followed by a slow, excruciating death.
I don't. The story is disgusting. It is just as disgusting, however, that some kids today grow up without having been taught right from wrong, at home, at school, in society....They are a product of their environment.

A better punishment is a good caning, Singapore style.

[I know I'm opening myself up on both fronts, but, well there you go. ]
InactionMan
Veteran Member

2006-09-08, 10:04

But there is a very small minority of people that are either so damaged by their upbringing or simply feel no remorse or empathy they can't ever function properly in society. People that torture and kill animals usually fall into this group.

If they had done just about anything else, I'd completely agree with you, AWR. But these two are a lost cause.
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2006-09-08, 13:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by murbot View Post
Amen to that, brother.

Anyone that lacking in basic compassion, for whatever reason, has no place on this planet IMHO.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-09-08, 14:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by InactionMan View Post
But there is a very small minority of people that are either so damaged by their upbringing or simply feel no remorse or empathy they can't ever function properly in society. People that torture and kill animals usually fall into this group.

If they had done just about anything else, I'd completely agree with you, AWR. But these two are a lost cause.
I tend to agree. That Jeffrey Dahmer guy was fascinated with killing animals when he was young. He was raised in a good home though, if I remember what I read correctly; so it's hard to explain how he got so twisted.

But yeah, cruelty to animals by children is a really really bad sign.

On a side note: I couldn't remember Dahmer's name, so I tried googling for it. Omg. I came upon a horrible website that lists countless serial killers that are at large around the world. It was chilling.

I couldn't read your article, murbeau. I wish I hadn't read the quote. Puppies are so incredibly sweet and innocent.
Dave
Ninja Editor

2006-09-08, 14:06

Wow, that's just sick
Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-09-11, 14:06

Another appalling story: of an Amish girl, raped repeatedly by her various brothers from the age of 6.

She finally reported all this abuse to the police. The brother who raped her the most often, 100-150 times, received the lightest sentence.

It all just makes me sick.

Quote:
Mary says she'd use those fantasies as an emotional escape from what she says was her horrible reality — a childhood and adolescence of sexual assault and rape.

"If somebody was raping me, I'd look up to the ceiling, count the blocks or count the cracks in the wall, or just I was completely not there emotionally. I would have committed suicide many times over if I wouldn't be strong," she said.

Through the years, by Mary's account, she was raped by several different attackers. But one abused her more often than the others — her brother Johnny. Johnny, one of Mary's eight brothers, began assaulting her when he was 12 and she was 6. The assaults continued into her teen years, she said.

"I couldn't go to the outhouse because there was always somebody waiting there. I couldn't go anywhere alone. There was just no place I could be alone," she said.

As time passed, another brother, Eli, followed suit.

"He'd rape me down in the milk house when I was cleaning up the milk house. He'd rape me down in the barn," she said.

The violence in Mary's family began with the head of it — a stepfather who, she says, continually beat both Mary and her brothers.

http://abcnews.go.com/2020/story?id=316371&page=1
InactionMan
Veteran Member

2006-09-14, 13:47

On a lighter note, the U.S. press is finally covering Canada/U.S. relations. So what's got the press all fired up? NAFTA? Softwood lumber? Border security?

Nope.

It seems the press think Condi and Foreign Affairs Minister Peter McKay should bump uglies. Awesome. CNN even has a clip on their site of Condi and Pete grabbing a couple of Double Doubles at Tim Horton's in Pictou County.

So what's the portmenteau going to be for these two? Pondi? Petereezza? Click here to read up on this stunning development in Canada/U.S. relations.

Last edited by InactionMan : 2006-09-14 at 13:52.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-09-14, 15:50

A few excerpts from one article:

Quote:
The single, sophisticated U.S. secretary of state once drew notice for wearing black stiletto knee-high boots with an above-the-knee black skirt while reviewing U.S. troops in Germany... ( Yay, Condi! )

Peter MacKay of Canada, the single, sophisticated foreign affairs minister, routinely named Canada's sexiest MP by The Hill Times in Ottawa, and the closest thing to eye candy on the diplomatic circuit. Tall, athletic, young, blond and dumped 16 months ago by his girlfriend — fellow MP Belinda Stronach, who split when she switched from the Conservatives to the Liberals — MacKay does not look like your usual foreign minister.

MacKay has a tan and the build of someone who spends time on the rugby field, not holed up reading G-8 communiqués. Sure, at 40 he's younger than Rice, 51, but that didn't stop gossips from engaging in baseless speculating.

Even the protestors who routinely show up wherever Rice goes got in on the act. "Pete, Condi, Make Love Not War," read one sign, carried by a grinning demonstrator who'd roused himself to take a position early Tuesday morning in front of the Museum of Industry in Stellarton...

"Something else I've learned about Secretary Rice is she loves the cool Atlantic breezes here in Nova Scotia and she left the window open last night." The audience tittered. At the end of his speech, he took off his glasses, turned to Rice and said, "Please come back again." [Heh. Oh, my. ]

Rice, clad in a yellow jacket, black pencil skirt and black stilettos, also offered plenty of fodder. She repeatedly called MacKay "Peter" (he called her "Secretary Rice" or "Miss Rice''), confirmed the sleeping-with-the-window-open bit, and then told the assembled local leaders that MacKay had introduced her to his family, including his father and stepmother, the night before.

Family is important, she said, with a sly smile, because "they remind you of the things you did when you were 5 years old." Beside her, MacKay grinned and blushed. [ ]
It's so nice to read something that's a little bit fun in the realms of international diplomacy.

Canadian males? Oh yeah! Gotta love'em.

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Con...l=968350060724
murbot
Hoonigan

2006-09-14, 16:17

Oh sure, it's believable, because it's not like she's a freaking horse-faced hag that MacKay wouldn't bang unless it guaranteed him the PM's job or anything like that.

Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-09-14, 16:45

Damn you, murbeau, for making me laugh.

That pic is just too funny.

But I have to hate you for ruining a fun story.

Just how did you manage to come up with a terrible photo like that?

Grrrrr.

Edit: Wow, looking at that pic again... geez... I'd be scared to run into her in a dark alley, y'know.
murbot
Hoonigan

2006-09-14, 17:13

That was the *first* hit doing a GIS for her.

There are all kinds of sweet pics of her out there.

Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-09-14, 19:19

Well, we all know Google was founded by Democrats, so that explains those *horrible* pics.

But here's what I found. Not a great pic, but better than yours.

(*Slightly* modified, but still... )

(And, btw, Girls Rule! )

Spoiler (click to toggle):

thegelding
feeling my oats

Send a message via AIM to thegelding  
2006-09-18, 09:28

"land shark, ummm, i mean, candygram"

g
AWR
Veteran Member

2006-09-18, 09:50

First penis transplant a failure.

Who's up next?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/china/stor...874817,00.html

I'm thinking that if you're going to do a jimmy transplant you might as well give the poor guy more than 10cm. Not that size is everything, and not that I'd know if it matters or not, but while you're down there ...

I'm not sure I'd want to be in China for this operation.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-09-18, 10:00

If you read the story, you see that the transplant was a success. It was "psychological concerns" (the wife) that made them take it back off. I could understand, but still...

"Hey, I just got one finally put back on and now you want it back off?!?"

That would be horrible. I guess she was having trouble coming to grips...wait, that's a bad choice of words...she was having trouble with the idea of another man's penis in the place of her husband's. Was weird for her (and him too, I imagine).

That's a pretty devoted, loving husband, because if you asked most men: "your wang or your wife", somebody's gonna be packing a suitcase later that evening.

"Hell, I can get another wife...".

AWR
Veteran Member

2006-09-18, 10:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
I guess she was having trouble coming to grips...
I imagine it was a while before anybody griped anything after the operation.

Yeah, I'm sorry, but once it's back on it's back on.

"You're uncomfortable? How do you think I feel?"
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-09-18, 10:13

Exactly.

"This isn't a pair of slacks, honey. We can't easily pull it off and return it if you're not crazy about the color and fit...".