User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

deleting Mail messages

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
deleting Mail messages
jsk173

2005-07-24, 05:07

Mail was getting sluggish for me so I deleted a bunch of messages. I had read somewhere that deleted Mail messages were, for some users, somehow being retained in the Spotlight search index, so instead of deleting from the Mail menu, I quit Mail and deleted the contents of the Junk and Trash mailboxes (in Library/Mail/...).

I re-launched Mail and the Junk and Trash were empty, as expected. However, as soon as the first new incoming message was filtered as junk mail, all 800-plus junk messages I thought I had deleted were suddenly re-generated in the Junk mailbox.

Anyone know how this is possible? It appears there must be a backup mail database but I can't figure it out. Thanks.
staph
Microbial member

Send a message via AIM to staph  
2005-07-24, 05:18

Are you using IMAP? Is there a Junk folder actually on the server?
jsk173

2005-07-24, 05:32

No IMAP. All mail is downloaded to my PB.

Unless there is a mail backup that I couldn't find, the only other thing I can think of is that the Junk and Trash mailboxes were still in my Trash. (I had moved them there but had not actually emptied the trash yet.) Is it possible Mail pulled those msgs from out of the Trash? I always figured anything in the trash was off-limits to the rest of the system.
staph
Microbial member

Send a message via AIM to staph  
2005-07-24, 05:37

Can you actually read the junk emails, or is it just the indexing information for the mailbox which has been preserved?
BarracksSi
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2005-07-24, 10:14

Open Preferences, and check Accounts. In 10.4's Mail, under the Advanced tab (hardly a "tab" anymore, more like a button.. but I digress), there's probably a checkbox for "Remove copy from server after retrieving a message:", then you can choose different times from a popup menu.

This is true for my POP accounts; I don't have an IMAP account to see if there's a difference.

*edit* (re-read thread) Ah, ok, no IMAP, then.

Did you quit Mail first, and then manually clean out the Junk and Trash boxes?

What could be happening is that the messages were still sitting on the server. When you connected again, Mail couldn't find the messages you had originally downloaded, so it couldn't match them to what it saw on the mail server. So, it retrieved everything on the server that didn't match what's in the Mail database.

Last edited by BarracksSi : 2005-07-24 at 10:19.