User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

Microsoft and Intel Endorse HD-DVD

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Microsoft and Intel Endorse HD-DVD
bluebuoy

2005-09-27, 10:14

The New York Times reports today that Microsoft and Intel are throwing their full weight behind the new HD-DVD format being developed by Toshiba.

Readers of this board probably know that Apple has been a long-time supporter of the competing Blue-Ray standard, developed by Sony. HD-DVD is simpler technology, but Blue-Ray disks hold a lot more data.

I guess this one of our first tastes of the limitations of the Intel partnership. It means that Apple will have to look elsewhere for the chipsets to support Blue-Ray drives in its Intel-based machines. It's really disappointing. At the least Intel could have come out neutral.
Eugene
careful with axes

2005-09-27, 10:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebuoy
I guess this one of our first tastes of the limitations of the Intel partnership. It means that Apple will have to look elsewhere for the chipsets to support Blue-Ray drives in its Intel-based machines. It's really disappointing. At the least Intel could have come out neutral.
You're assuming Blu-ray hardware needs chipset-level support to function, which is preposterous.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-09-27, 10:25

Urk. I'd thought Blu-ray was winning this race. I suppose this throws a big spanner into the works.

There's an interesting write-up at ArsTechnica of The economics of the next-generation DVD formats, but be sure to read the opening "nota bene." Ars has covered the various Blu-ray/HD DVD battles extensively over the past year or so. Here's a sampling in chronological order:

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
bluebuoy

2005-09-27, 10:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene
You're assuming Blu-ray hardware needs chipset-level support to function, which is preposterous.
Read the article. Of course chip-level support isn't needed. But if you have chip-level support it makes everything cheaper, smaller, and cooler. In other words, all the reasons that Apple decided to go with Intel.