Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
I just had two teeth pulled. :(
Page 1 of 3 [1] 2 3  Next Thread Tools
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2005-08-23, 11:42

It wasn't fun. At all.

I was really, really nervous, so they gave me laughing gas. I wasn't breathing enough for it to have an effect, though. My dentist kept on asking "Are you feeling 'floaty' yet?" "Are your toes tingling yet?" and I kept on answering "No..."

I'm supposed to rest and lie down all day, but that's okay, because my dad just got me the second season of Monk to watch.

I like Monk.

Just thought I'd share.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2005-08-23, 11:50

That just doesn't sound like fun to me! I don't mind a dentist chair but I like leaving with the same number of teeth I walked in with. I'm sure you got some good pain killers too though. Enjoy your trip! :smokey:

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
onlyafterdark
Sucker for shiny objects

Send a message via AIM to onlyafterdark  
2005-08-23, 11:54

Root canals are fun too. I have had a few of those thanks to a childhood accident.

There is nothing I like more than the smell of a rotting tooth.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2005-08-23, 12:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyafterdark
Root canals are fun too. I have had a few of those thanks to a childhood accident.

There is nothing I like more than the smell of a rotting tooth.
I had a root canal a few years ago and ended up spending about $700 out of pocket to be knocked out for the operation. My teeth refuse to be numbed by novacaine and no matter how hard I squeeze the dentist's balls they just don't get it.
¡Damned!

2005-08-23, 12:39

Nitrous oxide rules. I remember thinking to myself "wtf is a dentist's office doing playing reggae?". It turned out to be country.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2005-08-23, 12:51

My baby teeth roots never fully dissolved when they were supposed to, so I had nearly every tooth pulled by a dentist while growing up. I got used to that *CRUCKNCH* noise after a while.

My wisdom teeth were similarly screwed up - they came in sideways, and two of them had the roots wrapped *around* the jaw instead of in it. I remember waking up to them slipping with the bone saw and blood flying everywhere...
sunrain
Veteran Member

2005-08-23, 12:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha
My baby teeth roots never fully dissolved when they were supposed to, so I had nearly every tooth pulled by a dentist while growing up. I got used to that *CRUCKNCH* noise after a while.

My wisdom teeth were similarly screwed up - they came in sideways, and two of them had the roots wrapped *around* the jaw instead of in it. I remember waking up to them slipping with the bone saw and blood flying everywhere...
I had similar dental woes. I ended up with two sets of adult teeth, so I had to have the first set removed before the second (partial) set could come in. At one point, the dentist (a.k.a. sadistic bastard) was removing my teeth four at a time. I also have had all four (impacted) wisdom teeth removed. Luckily, that was done under general anesthetic. All told, I think I've had around 22 teeth removed. Fun times.

"What a computer is to me is it's the most remarkable tool that we've ever come up with, and it's the equivalent of a bicycle for our minds."
- Steve Jobs
ast3r3x
25 chars of wasted space.

Send a message via AIM to ast3r3x  
2005-08-23, 13:05

N20 and I are friends, I was hanging out with him saturday night! Had fun as always

I had to go to the dentist once to get teeth pulled, a pulled them a day or two before myself with pliers...they were like "all the teeth are already pulled out" and I told them I did it myself. It was pretty funny to see the look in their faces

Last edited by ast3r3x : 2005-08-23 at 13:25.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2005-08-23, 13:06

And for some reason when you're a kid, they don't give you the fun drugs.

Take them painkillers with zest, Roboman!
geneman

Send a message via AIM to geneman  
2005-08-23, 13:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ast3r3x
NO2 and I are friends, I was hanging out with him saturday night! Had fun as always
Then you should try N2O, it's not as toxic
ast3r3x

2005-08-23, 13:24

...or sell them to someone...or give them to a good online friend. You know how to PM me haha

Did you really get pills? I would have let them pull out my teeth had I of known.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geneman
Then you should try N2O, it's not as toxic
Haha...*fixed*

Yeah...N20 is who I meant, N02 is a bitch.

Last edited by ast3r3x : 2005-08-23 at 13:26.
SlackerDX

2005-08-23, 13:36

I had three wisdom teeth pulled. The weirdest thing was watching the dentist struggle and yank while I heard crunches and cracks. I didn't feel a thing. The only things I got as prizes was 800mg of ibuprofen and the ability to spit blood like I had just been in a bad ass fight.
ast3r3x

2005-08-23, 13:47

Did you have it done at a dentist or an oral surgeons?
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2005-08-23, 14:02

I hate Monk, the acting is so forced. And I don't know why, but the plot always seems really cheesy to me.

As for the teeth, I have sympathy I hope you heal soon. I will be having my wisdom teeth removed sometime soon, but hopefully I'll be able to push it off for another year...

User formally known as Sh0eWax
atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

Send a message via AIM to atomicbartbeans  
2005-08-23, 15:59

Heh, I got braces put on a couple months ago. They hurt like hell for a day or two every time I go in to get them tightened.

I hate when you get fillings and you're given a novacaine/epinephrine mixture (which is the case most of the time). I'm sensitive to epinephrine, so I'm twitching a little for the whole time, my heart racing.

Never had laughing gas, though. Or pain killers. Am I missing much?

I think this is a thread that Jack could've really had fun with.

You ask me for a hamburger.
GSpotter
Veteran Member

2005-08-23, 17:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicbartbeans
Never had laughing gas, though. Or pain killers. Am I missing much?
Somehow, I just got reminded of the dentist from the little shop of horrors:

"...
You'll be a dentist.
You have a talent for causing things pain!
Son, be a dentist.
People will pay you to be inhumane!
"
Naderfan
Queen of Confrontation

2005-08-23, 18:01

oohhhh, I hate dentist stories. I've had braces, five root canals (four at once), a broken jaw, and wisdom teeth pulled. For my root canals, they just gave me novicane and it started to wear off during the fourth canal...ow.

Anyway, I definitely feel your pain. Good luck with recovery!
nomorewindows

2005-08-23, 18:41

I used to pass out at the dentist, but being the polite person that I am, I would wait until after the procedure. I'd walk up to the receptionist to make my next appointment, then SPLAT!

One day a kid in the office waiting his turn started screaming, "they killed her! I'm not going in there!" Very humiliating. I've since gotten over it through self hypnosis, and I no longer dread the dentist.

"A synonym is a word you use when you can't spell the other." Baltasar Gracian
kscherer
Which way is up?

2005-08-23, 19:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassplayinMacFiend
I had a root canal a few years ago and ended up spending about $700 out of pocket to be knocked out for the operation. My teeth refuse to be numbed by novacaine and no matter how hard I squeeze the dentist's balls they just don't get it.
Dentists don't have balls. That's why they pick on drugged people!

I had a tooth pulled, recently, in which the dentist had to seperate the tooth from the roots, then remove each root with the drill, filing away at my jaw bone in the process. Love the whole, though. I can stash gum in there and save it for later!

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
onlyafterdark
Sucker for shiny objects

2005-08-23, 19:59

Quote:
in which the dentist had to seperate the tooth from the roots, then remove each root with the drill, filing away at my jaw bone in the process
Ah, you mean like tapping a broken screw. That must have been fun. Did you get put out for that or were you awake for the whole experience?
nomorewindows

2005-08-23, 22:11

What is nitrous oxide like? Does it really make you laugh?

I'm really ooolllllddd and still have all my wisdom teeth, so maybe someday I'll get to experience The Gas.

"A synonym is a word you use when you can't spell the other." Baltasar Gracian
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2005-08-23, 23:52

It didn't do jack for me. I don't think I was breathing enough...I was so scared.

Then they started pulling a tooth and I started hyperventilating.

I think I was abducted by aliens, and I don't remember it, but it was a lot like that.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2005-08-24, 00:40

Nitrous does jack all for me. Pretty much any anesthesia designed to suppress the central nervous system has a weaker effect in most redheads, while local anesthetics work *really* well. It wasn't until a few years ago that I found out that no, having your face numb for up to 24 hrs is not normal with novocaine shots. I don't mean a little numb, I mean ahba cannaba drunkaba vateraba wibbouba badroolinkba rubberface numb. A nerve block during shoulder surgery two years ago that didn't wear off for three days was the next big clue, and a loooooooong talk with the anesthesiologist before my followup surgery last year confirmed it.

A goodly section of the population with red hair reacts differently to pain and pain medications. We have a lower pain threshold, so things hurt sooner. But we have a higher pain tolerance, so we can take a lot more before passing out or quitting. Essentially, we're really tough whiners. (And I defy anyone to tell me that doesn't fit most redheads you know. )

I've had more than one filling filled without any novocaine, because the pain during it is more bearable than the rubberface afterwards.

Apparently the nerve endings are more active, meaning lower pain threshold, but also a more receptive uptake of the local anesthetic. Meanwhile, back in the brain and spine, the pain system is *REALLY* robust, so generalized anesthesia has a hard time knocking it out.

To bring this back to dentistry, when I had my wisdom teeth pulled, long before I found any of this out, I walked in the office and they gave me a Valium. 10 minutes later, they asked if I was sleepy. When I said no, they gave me another one. Another 15 minutes, and they ask again. Again, I'm not sleepy. So they give me 1/2 of one. Another 15 minutes, and yeah, I'm finally starting to feel a little groggy. Off to the chair I go, and they give me two shots of novocaine in each tooth, and slap the mask on and tell me to count backwards from 100. They stopped me at 65. It wasn't working. In goes the (I believe) pentathol drip. I still managed to hit 90 before conking out.

So by this time I've had 2.5 times the normal dose of Valium, plenty of gas, and an IV bag of pentathol.

And I woke up in the middle of it. They gave me a second IV drip, and off I went again, only to wake up right as they were finishing.

I walked out under my own power less than 20 minutes later, feeling fine... just with my entire face numb.

So redheads... watch out, ask your doctors, and know what you body will and will not take. We're weird.
onlyafterdark
Sucker for shiny objects

2005-08-24, 00:45

Ah, you're a redhead. Things are finally starting to make sense.

I am the complete opposite. When they did the IV thing before I got my wisdoms pulled, I was out before I got to 85. But the sweet thing was when I woke up, I felt like no time had passed at all. It was a cool feeling.

On the other hand, I walked like I had been out drinking all night long and was on the brink of alcohol poisoning. I was f-ed up bad. Good thing I had someone to pick me up or I probably wouldnt have made it home.

Damn my weak canadian blood.

Last edited by onlyafterdark : 2005-08-24 at 01:13. Reason: more stories...
ast3r3x

2005-08-24, 06:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorewindows
What is nitrous oxide like? Does it really make you laugh?

I'm really ooolllllddd and still have all my wisdom teeth, so maybe someday I'll get to experience The Gas.
Nitrous Oxide is an amazing body high. Probably the best you'll get unless you do harder core drugs. I've never used medical grade, but food preparation grade is great

You just get a great feeling along your entire body, and often times there will be an echoing effect of sound. You can still think clearly, but damn it feels good for about 30 seconds. Good supplement while being drunk.

Extended use will eventually start to decrease the vitamin b12 in your body and you'll start to get numbness of toes and finger tips. Taking a vitamin b12 supplement will remedy the problem. Just don't do nitrous that often and you don't have to worry about it...everything in moderation

In dr. offices there is normally a tank for oxygen and a tank for nitrous, they can control the combination, normally more oxygen do you don't run too low on it. If you are doing it for pleasure outside of the doctors, stop every so often and be sure to take a couple breathe of oxygen. I guess you could only really do that if you had a tank of nitrous, which isn't REALLY easy to come by.

Man that turned into way too long of a post, I feel like pscates...oh well, now AN has a nitrous FAQ
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2005-08-24, 07:12

My sig is a quote from a guy who had taken nitrous oxide:

Quote:
There is a story of a man who got the experience from laughing gas; whenever he was under its influence, he knew the secret of the universe, but when he came to, he had forgotten it. At last, with immense effort, he wrote down the secret before the vision had faded. When completely recovered, he rushed to see what he had written. It was "A smell of petroleum prevails throughout."
Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy
ast3r3x

2005-08-24, 10:56

Yeah...when your on drugs, you can have some profound thoughts and everything can make sense in the world. Coming out of it though you realize that you haven't found divine enlightenment
jondaapplegeek

Send a message via MSN to jondaapplegeek Send a message via Skype™ to jondaapplegeek 
2005-08-24, 11:04

i ahd to have a tooth pulled out (or whatever the correct term is) thatw as still inside the gum - horrible!
I had to be put to sleep (no - not death) so they could get it out.
ast3r3x

2005-08-24, 12:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondaapplegeek
i ahd to have a tooth pulled out (or whatever the correct term is) thatw as still inside the gum - horrible!
I had to be put to sleep (no - not death) so they could get it out.
Probably was impacted then. That is the worst, I haven't had to get mine out yet, but I think 2 or 3 of mine are impacted. One is growing out and is fine, but I at least 2 will not be fine from looking at xrays of my mouth.
kretara
Cynical Old Bastard

Send a message via AIM to kretara Send a message via Yahoo to kretara  
2005-08-24, 12:53

I had all of my wisdom teeth pulled out on the same day.
The dentist was one sadistic bastard.

He gave me about 15 shots of novacaine and started pulling.
All this despite the fact that I told him that novacaine has almost no effect on me. Yeah, my nose and lips will go numb but I can still feel the pain in my mouth just like I had no drugs on board.

So, here I am, sitting in this dentists chair with him straddling me. He has a pair of pliars in my mouth and is rocking back and forth and pulling with all his strength until (after what seemed like 20+ minutes) he is able to break the tooth from the bone. Meanwhile I giving the occasional yell and telling him to give me some pain meds. He gives me more novacaine despite the fact that it is not working. If I remember correctly he said he gave me 60+ shots of novacaine.
The bastard tells me to act like a man (I was like 13 at the time) and stop being a pussy.

Anyway, it took him 3 hours to pull (break the teeth off the bone) the 4 teeth out. That was one of the worst and most tramatic days of my life. I swore to him that if I ever saw him again that I would kill him.

It is now impossible for me to step foot into a dentists office without hovering on the edge of violence.