User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » GamingNova »

AppleNova Minecraft Server

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
AppleNova Minecraft Server
Page 19 of 49 First Previous 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23  Next Last Thread Tools
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-01-14, 17:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowdyScot View Post
Edit: Lame. Stupid lying wiki.
It's a wiki. What did you expect? Go edit it to correct the lie!

¡Damned!

2011-01-14, 18:02

So, to find any Lapis Lazuli we have to go to an unexplored area of the map, correct?

I've been planting saplings around Flaming Mountain hoping for a birch to put up, but no luck so far.

So it goes.

RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2011-01-14, 18:39

Yeah, have to go somewhere new. Methinks it may be time to extend the Skyway in a new direction to hit some new area where we can set up a mine for it. I'd love to get my hands on some, and not just for the dye.

Authentic Nova Scotia bagpipe innards

SpecMode
Wait what

2011-01-14, 19:29

At least the durability bars seem to be fixed as of today's update. Haven't done much running around yet, so no idea about chunk errors.

billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2011-01-14, 19:31

Quote:
Yeah, have to go somewhere new. Methinks it may be time to extend the Skyway in a new direction to hit some new area where we can set up a mine for it. I'd love to get my hands on some, and not just for the dye.
Why else would you want some?

RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2011-01-14, 19:32

Can make blocks of it, like iron/gold/diamond.

billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2011-01-14, 19:36

Aren't they the same color as the dyed wool?

arteggio

2011-01-14, 19:51

Quote:
Methinks it may be time to extend the Skyway in a new direction to hit some new area where we can set up a mine for it.
To save you some time, I'd suggest not extending it west sinnce my new project is out that way and I've already generated a lot of land out there. (It's 4.5 minutes away from Flaming Mountain — the loss of hmod is travel hell.)

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-01-14, 20:34

I was actually thinking about deleting some of the blocks that appear to have been explored but not actually built upon. That would bring us new resources without having to venture quite so far out. I would *only* be deleting chunks that appear to have no manmade structures in them.

Any objections?

edit: Oh, I should mention that I've tested locally and the terrain regenerates just fine after deleting chunks. It would basically be reverting the terrain to an unexplored, unsaved state.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.

Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2011-01-14, 21:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
I was actually thinking about deleting some of the blocks that appear to have been explored but not actually built upon. That would bring us new resources without having to venture quite so far out. I would *only* be deleting chunks that appear to have no manmade structures in them.

Any objections?

edit: Oh, I should mention that I've tested locally and the terrain regenerates just fine after deleting chunks. It would basically be reverting the terrain to an unexplored, unsaved state.
DO IT.

SpecMode
Wait what

2011-01-14, 21:10

Looks like almost the entire area bordered by Flaming Mountain to the north and the Skyranch to the east would be a great place to start. Seems to be mostly forest, can't see anything on the latest posted map.

Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2011-01-14, 21:13

Are you working on this right now? I'm getting a "connection refused" error.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-01-14, 21:14

Yes. Server will be down for a while while I'm working on the map. Can't do it while you guys are making updates to it. I'm being careful about the changes, and it will take me a while, but I intend to finish tonight.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.

Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2011-01-14, 21:21

Cool, thanks for keeping us updated.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-01-14, 22:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by arteggio View Post
To save you some time, I'd suggest not extending it west sinnce my new project is out that way and I've already generated a lot of land out there. (It's 4.5 minutes away from Flaming Mountain — the loss of hmod is travel hell.)
I think one of my tunnels heads out that way. Well beyond your area I think though. I do have a tower started right where I penetrated the surface though. I haven't been able to see anything identifying property out there. Lots of creepers though!

Edit: Man I'm going through withdrawal here! Where's the server?

Really, I appreciate the work you do for us.

Well, at least I have new skin now.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.

Last edited by turtle : 2011-01-14 at 23:11.

¡Damned!

2011-01-14, 23:14

I have a skellie-trap all boxed in out West, but nothing in between. I've done some exploring pretty far North and NorthWest too, but haven't built anything other than hideouts to wait through the night.

Would the maps regenerate the same way or all new terrain? It'd be kind of fun to have all new terrain to explore.

So it goes.

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2011-01-14, 23:31

There's a tiny dirt cuboid out North somewhere that I made as a temporary hideout. I don't feel any particular attachment to it, so feel free to make it vanish.

It'll be fun to come back in and see what you've all been up to!

torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2011-01-14, 23:47

I think I'm going to join your server for a while. I don't have the time needed to maintain the server *and* play the game. I'd rather play than update. Not tonight but soon.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.

¡Damned!

2011-01-15, 00:18

Holy crap. That's a ton!

I think you may have killed my glassed-in spider spawner and my spawner to the West, but that's fine. It'll be fun finding them again (and collecting the loot again on the way ).

Thanks for noticing my altars branching out from the temple. Those tunnels (and making all the smooth stone to line them) were a complete and utter bitch to build.

EDIT: So I'm assuming any torches that may have been placed outside the new zone are gone, correct? Not a biggie, just wondering.

Thanks for everything Brad. You really do go above and beyond.

So it goes.

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2011-01-15, 00:18

Woah! Radical pruning! That's cool - that means there's a whole new world right on my doorstep to investigate. We lost both of our existing winter biomes - hopefully there will be some more closer to the spawn so we can snowball fight!

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-01-15, 00:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
So I'm assuming any torches that may have been placed outside the new zone are gone, correct? Not a biggie, just wondering.
Yep. The world returns au natural.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
We lost both of our existing winter biomes - hopefully there will be some more closer to the spawn so we can snowball fight!
They're not lost!! The whole world is procedurally generated based on the single, unchanging random seed that was generated and saved when the world was first generated when I first started the server a month ago; it's not random. Where a natural mountain was deleted, the same mountain will regenerate in the same place. Same goes for rivers, deserts, and tundra regions.

SpecMode
Wait what

2011-01-15, 05:46

Just finished a (short) Skyway segment, passing through my cabin at Mob Hill and terminating at ground level just outside the Creepersville tree farm. After I build up my supply of wood planks, I'll probably start on another segment elsewhere. Anyone looking for a Skyway connection (or thinking about building somewhere, and would like a safe path to travel there)?

arteggio

2011-01-15, 07:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
I think one of my tunnels heads out that way. Well beyond your area I think though. I do have a tower started right where I penetrated the surface though. I haven't been able to see anything identifying property out there.
You have a random tunnel all the way out there? Does it connect all the way to your place at Bridgeport, or did you just go underground somewhere and spread out?

Nonetheless, I haven't seen any towers to signify it. I've occupied just a small island pretty much, with little plans for the surrounding area. If your tunnel is secure and convenient, may I use it out to travel west? I've been waiting for daytime just so I could make a run for it across coasts and through bays for minutes on end to reach my island.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecMode View Post
Anyone looking for a Skyway connection (or thinking about building somewhere, and would like a safe path to travel there)?
Eventually I would like a link out to my venture in the west. I'm not sure how much of the Flaming Mountain skyway is 709's though.

Quote:
DONE!
Thanks. I was hoping all the desert around my castle island would be replaced with greener things, but alas, it isn't so. Oh well. (I'll need it for glass anyway.) This will make mining the new much easier. Even saw some new trees near my skyscraper!

Last edited by arteggio : 2011-01-15 at 07:42.

¡Damned!

2011-01-15, 12:20

arteggio, do you know which of the chunks on the latter map is where you're building? I'm planning on starting a skyway West off of the lower skyway that leads to the temple (and also a little offshoot from the upper skyway down to the lower that makes it a bit easier to get down there). The area I was working on is in the furthest NW corner of the full overview map, but the new skyway will be fairly South of that area. Probably right between yours and mine.

So it goes.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-01-15, 12:55

Quote:
You have a random tunnel all the way out there? Does it connect all the way to your place at Bridgeport, or did you just go underground somewhere and spread out?
I think he was mistaken. I saw his little tunnel that peeks out behind Bridgeport to the northeast. It goes past your squarish skyscraper out there, not your distant western structures.

arteggio

2011-01-15, 14:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
arteggio, do you know which of the chunks on the latter map is where you're building? I'm planning on starting a skyway West off of the lower skyway that leads to the temple (and also a little offshoot from the upper skyway down to the lower that makes it a bit easier to get down there). The area I was working on is in the furthest NW corner of the full overview map, but the new skyway will be fairly South of that area. Probably right between yours and mine.
On the cut up map, my chunk is the west-most one, going by the NE orientation. On the full map you can find it as an island with a bit of brown on it, surrounded to the north, east, and south by islands/landmasses of sand. If you use Flaming Mountain and Creepersville as a reference point, my island looks to be about directly west from between the two.

I can't spot your little chunk in the overview map though. There's so much out there and so little resolution to find it.

Quote:
I think he was mistaken. I saw his little tunnel that peeks out behind Bridgeport to the northeast. It goes past your squarish skyscraper out there, not your distant western structures.
Ah, that makes sense.

Skyscraper, turtle. I thought you meant you were camping out in my watchtower, far, far away from where you are.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-01-15, 16:34

Really, my orientation is completely off in this game. Really. I never have figured it out for some reason.

So I don't know where my tunnel popped out now. I do know that it's not a small opening anymore. That's why I'm here for more sand. Is there a way I can see it on a map myself or do you have to do it Brad?

BTW, thank you so much for updating the texture pack!

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.

¡Damned!

2011-01-15, 16:57

Quote:
I can't spot your little chunk in the overview map though. There's so much out there and so little resolution to find it.
Mine was a bit further West and a lot further North (basically the upper-most NW tip on the old map), but got reclaimed with the map pruning. I still might head out there again, but I have another spawner I need to take care of at the moment.

I'm building a skyway West off to the spawner, maybe you can hook in there to make the trek easier. It looks like it will come fairly close to your place now that I see it.

So it goes.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-01-15, 17:29

Well, now that I've gotten my visibility figured out I can actually see where I am on the map and know where I've popped out of ground.

SpecMode
Wait what

2011-01-15, 18:01

Awww, bugger...the server is full. Guess I'll have to find something else to do.