AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

AT&T announces new data plans for smartphones

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
AT&T announces new data plans for smartphones
Page 1 of 3 [1] 2 3  Next Thread Tools
Quagmire
meh

2010-06-02, 08:02

Gone is the $30/month unlimited data plan. On June 7, there will be a $15 200 MB/month data plan called "Data Plus" and a $25/month 2 GB data plan called "Data Pro". And AT&T finally got off their lazy butts and added a tethering option( which includes the iPhone in OS 4.0) for an additional $20/month and requires you to get the Data Pro plan.

http://www.macrumors.com/2010/06/02/...ne-data-plans/

Current iPhone customers can keep the $30/month unlimited plan if they desire. They can also keep it when they upgrade to a new iPhone. But, you won't be able to get tethering.

http://www.macrumors.com/2010/06/02/...r-next-iphone/

For me personally, I will take the $25 2 GB Data Pro plan and get the $5 savings. I hardly use 200 MB( but do get too close for comfort to do the $15 plan) so 2 GB limit will be fine.

giggity
joveblue
Veteran Member

2010-06-02, 08:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quagmire View Post
added a tethering option( which includes the iPhone in OS 4.0) for an additional $20/month
And you don't even get any additional data for that $20 a month? That's outrageous!
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2010-06-02, 08:26

$20/month is absolutely outrageous! Screw at&t.

Is there a way to check your average data usage or is that something you'd have to do manually?
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2010-06-02, 08:27

Forgive a stupid question (or two), but:

1) Where do I go to see a monthly breakdown of my data usage? My account at AT&T, I assume? I may jump on one of those! I'm currently paying $20 for unlimited (including 200 texts) on my first-gen iPhone and it's original 2007 data plan. All along I've been dreading the impending $15 monthly bump when I upgrade. But if I don't use 200MB of data...damn, my monthly bill might go DOWN.

2) I assume accessing the Internet via wifi - while here at home, my Mom's house and various places around town - doesn't count toward that, right? Just when using the 3G/EDGE?
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2010-06-02, 08:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
Forgive a stupid question (or two), but:

1) Where do I go to see a monthly breakdown of my data usage? My account at AT&T, I assume? I may jump on one of those! I'm currently paying $20 for unlimited (including 200 texts) on my first-gen iPhone and it's original 2007 data plan. All along I've been dreading the impending $15 monthly bump when I upgrade. But if I don't use 200MB of data...damn, my monthly bill might go DOWN.
Login to your account and you can see a sweet graph of past usage. I average 100 mb/month. It's under the 'data usage' option.

Quote:
2) I assume accessing the Internet via wifi - while here at home, my Mom's house and various places around town - doesn't count toward that, right? Just when using the 3G/EDGE?
Correct. Wi-Fi use doesn't count, only when using the cell towers.

I think the new plans are fantastic. Sure, you can't take a tethering option and replace your home Internet bill, but for the normal user it's a great option. Especially the part about upgrading your plan retroactively in the event you go over. No more pro-rated garbage if you don't want it.

90% of statistics can be made to say anything 50% of the time.
Website | Twitter
Quagmire
meh

2010-06-02, 08:36

Knew the $15 200 MB was too close for comfort. I just checked my current data usage for this month and it is at 212 MB. So it is definitely the $25 2 GB plan for me.

giggity
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2010-06-02, 08:45

I usually use around 200 MB. I think I'll save myself the 5$ and downgrade once I buy a new iPhone. I just don't see myself using it 10x as much as I do... Lots of places I go have WiFi - so 2GB will be enough. The 10$/1GB overage will be just fine if I have to swallow it for a month on vacation or something crazy.

User formally known as Sh0eWax
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2010-06-02, 08:48

I've been averaging about 225 MB/month for the past six months or so, but I've also turned off wifi on my 3G because of how terrible the battery life is.

I figure that when I get a new iPhone, I'll be able to turn wifi on and drop back down below 200 MB. I'll try it out and see where I stand. If I go over, I'll bump up to the 2 GB plan.

Either way, I'm saving money.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2010-06-02, 08:49

So no unlimited option?
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2010-06-02, 08:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieran View Post
I figure that when I get a new iPhone, I'll be able to turn wifi on and drop back down below 200 MB. I'll try it out and see where I stand. If I go over, I'll bump up to the 2 GB plan.
They'll even let you "retroactively" bump up a plan. Whatever that means...
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2010-06-02, 08:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maciej View Post
They'll even let you "retroactively" bump up a plan. Whatever that means...
I saw that. I guess if I go over the 200 MB in a month, i'll just have to bump up to that plan.

Really surprised to see this move. As a few of us were discussing on Twitter a little while ago, this seems like a preemptive strike by AT&T. Maybe foreshadowing a move to more carriers by Apple?

ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2010-06-02, 09:02

This is a huge move. I would think Apple would be pissed. Think of all the people on the fence deciding b/w Android and iPhone reading about this.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2010-06-02, 09:03

This isn't bad for most people, but if you're tethering it's beyond stupid.

Not only are they charging $20/mo just to connect your computer to your phone, but the cap has now been lowered from 5 GB to 2 GB so you're much more likely to go over.

Obviously most people won't go over 2 GB, so for them it's fine. Some people will get a nice little rate decrease. But I have a problem with paying $20/mo extra just to enable tethering (considering it's not hard to enable it yourself for free).

What sucks is every carrier is jumping on the "pay for tethering" bandwagon. Oh well, people will just keep jailbreaking/rooting to get it. What would make more sense (for consumers at least) is to include ACTUALLY unlimited data with the tethering plan. Call it "premium data" or something and have it include cap-free data and tethering.
solinari6

2010-06-02, 09:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezkcdude View Post
This is a huge move. I would think Apple would be pissed. Think of all the people on the fence deciding b/w Android and iPhone reading about this.
That's me ... my iphone 3g contract is just about up, and was having a hell of a time deciding between the new iphone and an EVO. I think this might have just pushed me towards sprint.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2010-06-02, 09:10

Just checked my usage trend...I seem to use between 109-162MB the past six months (I did have a nearly 300MB spike for April, but I have no idea why, and it was definitely the exception).

I'm going to put a new "n" AirPort Express back in my house in the next day or so, so that should make it go down a bit more. Frankly, I don't tend to sit and surf, download, etc. on EDGE. I use it for e-mail while on-the-go, or to quickly check my Fandango or Weather Channel app. And my friends and family (and a couple of my favorite pubs and restaurants offer free wifi, as do most hotels and I get the free AT&T wifi at Starbucks (Barnes & Noble) and McDonald's as well.

It's looking like that $15/month data plan might be right up my alley, now that I'm surrounded by wifi more than ever! Then add the $5/200 texts plan on top of that and I'm right back where I am now...$20/month!

Glory!

All this hinges, of course, on AT&T suddenly not upping their 200-texts-a-month fee to $15 or something equally jackassed...
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2010-06-02, 09:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by solinari6 View Post
That's me ... my iphone 3g contract is just about up, and was having a hell of a time deciding between the new iphone and an EVO. I think this might have just pushed me towards sprint.
Make sure you're ok with really shitty battery life. Like really shitty.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2010-06-02, 10:00

Looking at the data usage on my family's plans, all of us would be able to save some money by going to the 2 gig cap. My wife would actually be ok with the 200 Meg cap but she's got an iPad that she would probably like to tether.

Wait... Do we know what sort of tethering we're talking about? Wifi tethering or USB only? Bluetooth?

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
Noel

2010-06-02, 10:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
Just checked my usage trend...I seem to use between 109-162MB the past six months (I did have a nearly 300MB spike for April, but I have no idea why, and it was definitely the exception).
Was that when your iMac was on the fritz?
kdcny

2010-06-02, 10:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca View Post
This isn't bad for most people, but if you're tethering it's beyond stupid.

Not only are they charging $20/mo just to connect your computer to your phone, but the cap has now been lowered from 5 GB to 2 GB so you're much more likely to go over.
Don't most carriers charge $30/mo for tethering, though? When I looked into it last for Verizon, that was the going rate. It might cost more for BlackBerry users, even.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca View Post
What sucks is every carrier is jumping on the "pay for tethering" bandwagon. Oh well, people will just keep jailbreaking/rooting to get it. What would make more sense (for consumers at least) is to include ACTUALLY unlimited data with the tethering plan. Call it "premium data" or something and have it include cap-free data and tethering.
I guess I thought all the US carriers already charge for tethering. Is this not the case? I really am ignorant on this - I looked it up for Verizon when I got my Droid, but haven't necessarily kept up with any new developments, especially on other carriers.

With regard to switching to an Android phone over this... I don't get it. You can jailbreak your iPhone to enable tethering now anyway, can't you? (I've heard lots of anecdotal evidence about this, anyway.) Why couldn't you do the same after this - what's changed? Besides, it's not like switching to an Android device makes you immune to the carrier's rules: if they find you're tethering and call you on it, they'll charge/fine you - it doesn't matter what device you're using.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2010-06-02, 10:23

What really sucks is Apple still has the $29.99/month unlimited marketing stuff on their iPad 3G page, but that goes away on the 7th (39 days after iPad 3G release?). The only way to keep the $30 unlimited is to activate by the 7th (hope you already have your iPad 3G), and continue to renew every month. The second you don't, you get forced into the $25 / 2GB limit plan.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2010-06-02, 10:31

I just don't see how this is such a big deal.

Most people will end up saving money with this. Yeah, they're taking away the "unlimited" plan, but there was always an unofficial cap on it anyways.

How many people are pulling down multiple GBs on their iPhone/iPad over 3G? That would be crazy. I'm sure there are a few, but for the vast majority, these plans will save them money.

ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2010-06-02, 10:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
Make sure you're ok with really shitty battery life. Like really shitty.
Did you read this part from the first review you linked?

Quote:
The more concerning issue was the battery. It pooped out after only a few hours of general use, or well before the business day had ended. (To be fair, my iPhone 3G battery failed around the same time.)
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2010-06-02, 10:34

Not on the iPhone (checked at ATT and my largest month was ~500MB), but with ABC, Hulu, CBS all streaming over 3G, 2GB could get used up quite fast on an iPad.

Plus there's the psychological effect of "I better check and make sure I didn't go over my MBs". Not having to worry about this is probably worth the extra $5/month to some people.
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2010-06-02, 10:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
Looking at the data usage on my family's plans, all of us would be able to save some money by going to the 2 gig cap. My wife would actually be ok with the 200 Meg cap but she's got an iPad that she would probably like to tether.

Wait... Do we know what sort of tethering we're talking about? Wifi tethering or USB only? Bluetooth?
It's USB-only. You can't tether the iPad to the iPhone - at least not with the current hardware. We don't know what Apple has in store for the next phone, but I'd be very surprised if you could do a mobile hotspot with the iPhone like you can with the Pre.

Twitter: bwyatt | Xbox: @playsbadly | Instagram: @bw317
dmegatool
Custom User Title

2010-06-02, 10:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezkcdude View Post
Did you read this part from the first review you linked?
What about 3GS and the 4G, to witch it should be compared as it's not as old as the 3G
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2010-06-02, 10:36

Steve already said "No" to the "Will I be able to tether my iPhone to my iPad?" question last month.
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2010-06-02, 10:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieran View Post

Most people will end up saving money with this. Yeah, they're taking away the "unlimited" plan, but there was always an unofficial cap on it anyways.
The thing is, these days, 2 GB sounds like a very small number. Once you make that the official limit, people will certainly think twice about it, especially when there are unlimited plans on other providers.
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2010-06-02, 10:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmegatool View Post
What about 3GS and the 4G, to witch it should be compared as it's not as old as the 3G
It should be compared to 4G? Really? Is there a leak I don't know about yet that tested it already? At any rate, it's disingenuous to say the battery life is "really shitty", unless you think the 3G was the same, which I imagine is not the case for tori.
Dave
Ninja Editor

2010-06-02, 10:40

How do you people keep your usage so low? I just checked and I'm at 1.2GB so far. All I really use it for is some light web browsing when I'm not at home and don't have my laptop with me.

When I was a kid, people who did wrong were punished, restricted, and forbidden. Now, when someone does wrong, all of the rest of us are punished, restricted, and forbidden... and the one who did the wrong is counselled and "understood" and fed ice cream.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2010-06-02, 10:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
It's USB-only.
USB and Bluetooth (at least that's what iPhone OS 3 usually offers).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
You can't tether the iPad to the iPhone - at least not with the current hardware.
You can't, but AFAICT that's entirely a software issue.