User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

Why not other new stuff?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Why not other new stuff?
Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Windowsrookie Send a message via MSN to Windowsrookie Send a message via Yahoo to Windowsrookie  
2006-02-25, 00:38

I was just thinking of this today. Why doesn't apple update their keyboards and mice? I mean the current keyboard has been out for several years. Wouldn't it be nice to get a backlit one? or black? or both? also, why no bluetooth mighty mouse? black? is it just me or do we need new accessories?


Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2006-02-25, 01:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by windowsrookie
I was just thinking of this today. Why doesn't apple update their keyboards and mice? I mean the current keyboard has been out for several years. Wouldn't it be nice to get a backlit one? or black? or both? also, why no bluetooth mighty mouse? black? is it just me or do we need new accessories?
Black? Been done, and I have been pissed ever since they switched to white.

NosferaDrew
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to NosferaDrew Send a message via AIM to NosferaDrew Send a message via Skype™ to NosferaDrew 
2006-02-25, 01:11

Loved that black Apple keyboard.
I have one stashed in a closet that I've been threatening to resurrect for a while. I need to do that.
Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2006-02-25, 01:14

Yeah, me too. But the problem is that some of the keys are starting to stick on my old black one; whereas the white one is still flawless. So here I am still using the white keyboard that I despise.

Formerly known as cynical_rock
censeo tentatio victum
There is no snooze button on a cat.
MacRonin

2006-02-25, 03:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynical_rock
Yeah, me too. But the problem is that some of the keys are starting to stick on my old black one; whereas the white one is still flawless. So here I am still using the white keyboard that I despise.
Uh, swap the keys?

Black keys on the current white 'chassis' might not be so bad...
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-02-25, 03:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRonin
Uh, swap the keys?

Black keys on the current white 'chassis' might not be so bad...
It's the new chassis that I think most people dislike about the new keyboard. The biggest problem, IMO, is that the white keyboards lack any adjustable height.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-02-25, 12:41

I really have no idea why we haven't seen a wireless Mighty Mouse yet.

Well, I have an idea - it's probably because it would mean dropping the price on the wired MM, and basically discontinuing the Pro Mouse - but I still think it's time.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
wecallitfall

2006-02-25, 12:45

i have a sneaking suspicion Tuesday could yield something along these lines
World Leader Pretend
Ruling teh World

2006-02-25, 12:47

Think Secret is predicting some new type of Hi-Fi Boombox, but I would rather see new input devices. Maybe a black Mighty Mouse?
iDaver

2006-02-25, 12:57

I agree it's time for a new keyboard but not black. Black keys are hard to see in low light. I got a new Mac in October and its worthless keyboard is still in the wrapper.
atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

Send a message via AIM to atomicbartbeans  
2006-02-25, 13:04

I know that Apple hasn't updated its accessories in a while, but do they really need to? The Apple Pro Mouse (not Mighty Mouse, but the standard clear/white one) is awesome, and I've been looking to pick one up for a while to replace my Microsoft POS... but looking at apple.com, it seems like they're not selling the wired Pro Mouse anymore.

The one improvement Apple could make as far as keyboards are concerned is the removal of all the stupid F-keys (click for awesome story). Just keep 3 dedicated buttons for exposé, and ditch the stupid F1-F16.

You ask me for a hamburger.

Last edited by atomicbartbeans : 2006-02-25 at 13:38.
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2006-02-25, 13:10

Yeah, they only sell Mighty Mouse and the Wireless mouse now.
World Leader Pretend
Ruling teh World

2006-02-25, 13:14

What do the Function Keys do anyway? I've never used F1-F8.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2006-02-25, 13:19

far fetched - but how about an ambient sensing and backlit external keyboard?
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-02-25, 13:21

Atomicbartbeans, why don't you want a Mighty Mouse? If you only want one mouse button, you can tell it to act like a one-button mouse.
atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

Send a message via AIM to atomicbartbeans  
2006-02-25, 13:22

Because the Pro Mouse is 10x better looking.

I'd happily scroll using the keyboard rather than a wheel/ball on the mouse, if I could have that sleek, clear design.

I guess I'll have to pay twice what it's worth in shipping on eBay.

You ask me for a hamburger.

Last edited by atomicbartbeans : 2006-02-25 at 13:38.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-02-25, 13:39

I'm sure you could find the Pro Mouse from an Apple reseller.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-02-25, 15:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Leader Pretend
What do the Function Keys do anyway? I've never used F1-F8.
They are generally used by third-party applications. Some games and productivity apps use them.

On iBooks, PowerBooks, and MacBook Pros, many of the F-keys double for keys that Apple couldn't fit: brightness down, brightness up, mute, volume down, volume up, num lock, and toggle external display mode.

Natively, they are also mapped by default to the system's keyboard navigation. Control-F1 toggles full keyboard access, control-F2 moves focus to the menu bar, control-F3 moves focus to the Dock, etc.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-02-25, 15:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
On iBooks, PowerBooks, and MacBook Pros, many of the F-keys double for keys that Apple couldn't fit: brightness down, brightness up, mute, volume down, volume up, num lock, and toggle external display mode.
It's only 6 on the iBooks.

On 12-inch PowerBooks, it's 7, but on larger PowerBooks and thus MacBook Pros, it's probably 10 (keyboard illumination off/down/up), not sure.