User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

iPhone question re: "data plans"/Wi-Fi...

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iPhone question re: "data plans"/Wi-Fi...
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-02-19, 23:28

I was reading that story at MacRumors and other places, about possible rate plans for the iPhone from Cingular. From the article:

Quote:
It appears the iPhone rate plans from Cingular may be the same as Cingular’s current plan options: $39.99 a month for 450 minutes, unlimited mobile to mobile calling, and 5,000 night and weekend minutes. The data plans will start at $4.99 a month for 200 messages OR a $19.99 a month data plan for 200 messages plus unlimited Internet and Visual Voicemail.
I'm less concerned with specifics of price and other numbers than I am simply about the terminology and workings (my current phone and plan is very basic...I don't pay for Internet access, just the second-to-the-cheapest Cingular plan for $39.99 shown above (450/unlimited/5,000).

Is this related to the Wi-Fi in any way?

All along I'd assumed that I could walk into a Panera (or any other cafe or public place that that had free Wi-Fi) and simply "get online" with the iPhone, the way I do with my PowerBook.

Or is that something I'd have to pay Cingular for?

Or do those $4.99 and $19.99 "data plans" refer strictly to getting online/accessing the Internet via the phone and phone service (so you can do it anywhere, at anytime)?

I'm hoping it's the former (I continue to pay what I'm paying, and anytime I'm in range of a wireless network, I can check mail or hope online).

Again, let's not focus on the numbers/pricing (that's not important). I just want to know if I'm understanding this right or not.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2007-02-19, 23:47

Free Hotspots will still be free to access, just like your PowerBook.

Yeah, the data plans are for surfing the web while in your car, or somewhere there is no WiFi.

Some say they will force you to get a data plan with that phone though. If that happens, you won't have a choice but to buy the plan. I doubt they'll force it though. They would make way more money from you on data usage be KB.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2007-02-20, 01:44

I just noticed today that iPhone has it's own tab now. Has it been there for a while or is this why the store has been flakey lately?
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2007-02-20, 01:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle2472 View Post
I just noticed today that iPhone has it's own tab now. Has it been there for a while or is this why the store has been flakey lately?
It's been there since the iPhone was announced.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2007-02-20, 02:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman View Post
It's been there since the iPhone was announced.

Either I'm captain obvious or it wasn't there until I cleared my chache today. Thanks.