User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Feedback »

We need an IRC channel

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
View Poll Results: Would you be interested in an AppleNova IRC server?
Yes, I'd love to use IRC for AppleNova chats 26 68.42%
No, I don't want to use IRC 11 28.95%
I don't want to participate in AppleNova chats 1 2.63%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

We need an IRC channel
Page 1 of 3 [1] 2 3  Next Thread Tools
WBG4

Send a message via ICQ to WBG4 Send a message via AIM to WBG4  
2005-03-04, 18:10

I am willing to make us an irc channel and a stand alone easy connect app. I like freenode my self. What cha all think?
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-03-04, 18:37

I think it would be cool, but we should determine if there's any interest first. I'm interested but maybe some of the people here would prefer AIM's slowness .
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-03-04, 18:39

I've decided to add a poll by posting a new topic and then merging them. Hopefully it works.

EDIT: Yay, it worked! Okay, I tried to keep the poll simple. Basically narrowed it down to three possibilities - whether you'd actually be interested in IRC, whether you're interested in chatting but not over IRC (in which case you should probably suggest something else), or if you are not interested in chatting at all.

For those of you who aren't geeks (or for geeks who have been living in a dark hole with no internet access or outside contact for the past 15 years), IRC is a method of online chatting. Whereas AIM and MSN focus on peer to peer chats, where you chat directly with one other person, IRC focuses on chat rooms. You connect to a server, join one of the many rooms on that server, and chat with people. It can be intimidating at first because you have to know the server name, channel name, and a few text commands (like /join and /nick). Once you get the hang of it, though, it's very easy, and far preferable to the more commercialized chat services. As a few of us experienced earlier, AIM's chatting is pretty bad. Sometimes it works okay, but in our case it had a huge amount of lag that kept everyone from communicating with each other.

IRC is a time-tested protocol. You will not experience lag, and if T&A writes a specialized IRC app for connecting directly to the AppleNova channel, you won't have to learn anything special. Just open the program and start typing.

Last edited by Luca : 2005-03-04 at 18:46.
WBG4

2005-03-04, 18:42

Nice thing about it is you have control, you can kick people who are being asses, and ban people who need banning and have a topic.
WBG4

2005-03-04, 18:44

Also if you think irc is going to be hard, it's not. The stand alone app makes it brain dead simple
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-03-04, 18:47

By the way, T&A, thanks so much for the offer! I hope we can put our past differences behind us and just focus on this project. It would be really cool if we could get regular AppleNova chats going, without that terrible AIM lag.
WBG4

2005-03-04, 18:50

You're most welcome
Yes, we can do that.

Freenode is a great network, you will also find mac addict's irc chat on there and it is the network for open source things. Cool place. Also unlike some places it is not full of bots and crap and is not too prone to splits and the like.

Comic sans sucks.
That is all
Gargoyle
http://ga.rgoyle.com

2005-03-04, 19:01

Cool idea!

If I am online then normally xChat is connected to freenode and quakenet. What chans do you idle the hours away in. I am normally on #gentoo-server.

Edit: I have updated my startup prefs, so from now on if I am online I'll be in #applenova on irc.freenode.net

OK, I have given up keeping this sig up to date. Lets just say I'm the guy that installs every latest version as soon as its available!

Last edited by Gargoyle : 2005-03-04 at 19:09.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2005-03-04, 20:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca
I think it would be cool, but we should determine if there's any interest first. I'm interested but maybe some of the people here would prefer AIM's slowness .
Luca, my love,........

Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-03-04, 20:10

So what you're saying is that...

1) I am your love (e.g. you love me)
2) You want to lick me five times
3) Afterward, you will laugh nonstop

Correct?
Windswept
On Pacific time

2005-03-04, 20:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca
So what you're saying is that...

1) I am your love (e.g. you love me)
2) You want to lick me five times
3) Afterward, you will laugh nonstop

Correct?

Okay, Luca.

Here's the deal. You talked about people 'preferring' that annoying lag-time.

People = *me*.

So, I stuck my tongue out at you repeatedly.

Then I laughed, because I was just kidding around.

And, yes, Luca, I *do* love you. You are very sweet...except when you are correcting my spelling (it's; its), or when you are calling me a strumpet.

Okay?
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-03-04, 20:38

Of course I love you Carol!

I just have a somewhat dry or slow sense of humor...

You are cute!
WBG4

2005-03-04, 22:28

i could have a beta for the app in probably 15 min. Do you want brushed metal or aqua?
WBG4

2005-03-04, 23:16

For those of you who are voting no, i'm just wondering why?
staph
Microbial member

Send a message via AIM to staph  
2005-03-04, 23:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by T&A
i could have a beta for the app in probably 15 min. Do you want brushed metal or aqua?
Aqua.

AQUUUUUAAAAAA!

LoCash
Rest In Peace

2005-03-04, 23:35

I just normally don't like the IRC interface. It's cryptic and not pleasurable. But then again, I only ever used ircle or BitchX. If you can build a client that has a simple, inviting UI, I'm all for it. Maybe one branded for AN and you'd have my vote. Show me something

It is with great regret that we say our farewells to Jack, who passed away on May 28th, 2005. Jack, you will be missed by all

Superior thinking has always overwhelmed superior force. - Marine Corps Officers

"You don't lead by hitting people over the head-that's assault, not leadership." - General Eisenhower
WBG4

2005-03-04, 23:42

http://www.geekd.org/mafirc/ it will look something like that but in aqua. I made this one too. You hit connect and it connects
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-03-04, 23:45

Yeah, just because most IRC apps have horrible, horrible interfaces doesn't mean IRC itself is bad. It's easy to create a good client with an intuitive interface. For some reason, though, IRC junkies seem to prefer cryptic and stupidly designed interfaces.

I admit it turned me off from IRC a while back. I remember a chat room I used to attend a while back, and I sure complained when the people there decided to move to IRC instead of AIM. But now that I've learned more about IRC it really is better for chatting. Get a good client and it's not bad at all. I would recommend iRC (note the capitalization) for Mac OS X users - it's the simplest and most intuitive one available, with a nice OS X native interface. You can download it here.

Like I said... if you want to say that IRC is a bad idea, please suggest a better alternative (thanks LoCash). As far as I can tell, AIM is pretty much useless for multi-person chat, so I don't know what else there is short of making everyone get an MSN Messenger account, and I have a feeling that will be much harder to do than it would be to get everyone to download a specially made AppleNova IRC client.
WBG4

2005-03-05, 00:35

I'll try to get something up by saturday night
WBG4

2005-03-05, 08:29

Here is the first beta. Let me know what you think. I woke up early (I just got accepted to my top choice for college so i am like hella happy and excited) so i decided to work on it before work.

Comic sans sucks.
That is all
Marcellus Wallace

2005-03-05, 08:43

I think this is terrific!
WBG4

2005-03-05, 08:55

Thank you we need a different dock icon though
staph
Microbial member

Send a message via AIM to staph  
2005-03-05, 09:03

Looks good.
Marcellus Wallace

2005-03-05, 09:06

Yes.. I think the one you've used now is a very happy one nevertheless...
Nice if it would be a bit closer to the 'tech'-feel that AN is using now as its background-pic... would love to help you a bit with that or do a suggestion... only if you'd appreciate that ofcourse.

Denkend aan Holland zie ik breede rivieren traag door oneindig laagland gaan, rijen ondenkbaar ijle populieren als hooge pluimen aan den einder staan.
WBG4

2005-03-05, 09:10

If you want to help i'd love that. I did not write the original source and know enough to make it work for other channel ect, but i don't really know that much code. PM me or find me in irc. Thank you for your kind words

Comic sans sucks.
That is all
WBG4

2005-03-05, 09:19

I will be in their idling but probably will not be on as i will be at work in my mac lab till 4ish. Feel free to sop by anyway

Comic sans sucks.
That is all
spotcatbug
Veteran Member

2005-03-05, 10:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by T&A
For those of you who are voting no, i'm just wondering why?
Personally, I like having only one chat client running on whatever machine I'm using. Everybody I chat with (either one-on-one or in a room) uses AIM. I'd just prefer to stick with only iChat on my Mac and only the AOL client on my PC, when it comes to chatting.

Ugh.
WBG4

2005-03-05, 11:01

I gottcha. My big gripe about aim chatrooms (other then it being AOL and laggy and shit like that) is i can't join from adium reliably
Paul
Veteran Member

2005-03-05, 12:03

Re: dock icon... see if murbot still has that flaming HD icon from his infamous thread way back when...
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-03-05, 12:53

Mind posting the source code for review? I certainly don't want to endorse something when I don't know if it'll be stealing users' information or killing their parents or playing fetch with their dog or something equally insidious.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.