User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

AN Halo 2 Clan?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
AN Halo 2 Clan?
SledgeHammer

2005-05-02, 12:26

It doesn't get talked about much here, but it comes up just often enough that I know there have to be at least several if not quite a lot of Halo 2 players around here. Since I got on Live, I've been unable to find a clan that actually has enough people in it that are on often enough to make it worth being in. So, if anyone's interested, let me know here. With the ranking reset coming this week, it seems the perfect time to create a new clan.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2005-05-02, 12:43

Wait a minute... you mean for Xbox right? I didn't think H2 was available for Mac yet. Anyway, for those who can't do the Halo thing, I'm all for starting (maybe even hosting) a Call of Duty clan. Luca might be willing to join (he enjoys dishing out the abuse). COD rocks.

...into the light of a dark black night.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-05-02, 13:02

My hardware is just enough to run Call Of Duty now, and I don't even own the Mac version anymore. I might buy a Windows version of the game and using the CD key since I already have a working disk image of it. The keys are interchangeable but the Mac version costs twice as much.
sunrain
Veteran Member

2005-05-02, 13:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by SledgeHammer
It doesn't get talked about much here, but it comes up just often enough that I know there have to be at least several if not quite a lot of Halo 2 players around here. Since I got on Live, I've been unable to find a clan that actually has enough people in it that are on often enough to make it worth being in. So, if anyone's interested, let me know here. With the ranking reset coming this week, it seems the perfect time to create a new clan.
I've already got a clan, but PM me your gamertag and I'll return the favor. I play with some game industry guys. We're all in our 20s-30s and all have fun, but it's pretty low stress in terms of ambitious competition.

"What a computer is to me is it's the most remarkable tool that we've ever come up with, and it's the equivalent of a bicycle for our minds."
- Steve Jobs
ast3r3x
25 chars of wasted space.

Send a message via AIM to ast3r3x  
2005-05-02, 13:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrain
I've already got a clan, but PM me your gamertag and I'll return the favor. I play with some game industry guys. We're all in our 20s-30s and all have fun, but it's pretty low stress in terms of ambitious competition.
Where's the fun then? After finals this week, I'm getting back into Ghost Recon and going to get to the top 10 players again. I used to be amazing, now a newb might kill me
sunrain
Veteran Member

2005-05-02, 13:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by ast3r3x
Where's the fun then? After finals this week, I'm getting back into Ghost Recon and going to get to the top 10 players again. I used to be amazing, now a newb might kill me
Oh, we're *definitely* competitive with each other, but matchmaking is a mixed bag; what with all the cheaters and jackasses. I don't mind having my ass kicked, but I don't need someone to be an ass about it.

"What a computer is to me is it's the most remarkable tool that we've ever come up with, and it's the equivalent of a bicycle for our minds."
- Steve Jobs
thuh Freak
Finally broke the seal

2005-05-02, 15:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrain
Oh, we're *definitely* competitive with each other, but matchmaking is a mixed bag; what with all the cheaters and jackasses. I don't mind having my ass kicked, but I don't need someone to be an ass about it.
yea, thats how it goes with matchmaking. sometimes u can play a real nice and fun game regardless of winning or losing. and sometimes u match up with real pricks on either team, who make the game unfun.

the following anecdote will not make sense to non-halo2 players: i was playing assault last week. guy runs up and is like "let me get the bomb". so he grabs it. he then runs off and hides immediately. not from us, obviously, but from the other team. so they waste out the 3minutes or whatever for us to make an assault. then they're like, "well, they are probably hiding." so they look for us. but by now our team has stolen the only banshee, gave it to our bomber, who is on top of an inaccessible roof; the only way to get there is with the banshee. and it wont respawn without being destroyed (which won't happen cuz our man is just standing next to it the whole time). the whole time, half our team is yelling at the guy to play the game, make an effort and see if we can explode the bomb in their base. he tells us the point of the game is to win, and get the highest rank. i contend that the point of the game is to shoot each other, attempt the goals and have fun; besides ranks are being reset soon anyway (which i've only heard as rumors. whats up with that anyway?). many on our team mutiny and explain to the other team whats happening. occassionally we kill our own team members who agree with or disagree with the bomber. the round ended without us even arming (even with many of the other team quitting; which was the bomber's stated goal). that was only the first round tho, we ended up scoring on another round. overall a very not fun match. lot of bad feedback left. the prick actually accused the mutineers of cheating, since we were helping the other team; when it was his stupid and unfun playing that made the game unplayable.
sunrain
Veteran Member

2005-05-02, 15:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by thuh Freak
the following anecdote will not make sense to non-halo2 players...
That same thing happened to me just last night. It was the other team that did it though. It's the third time I've been in a game where that happened. I'm fucking tired of it.

- Steve Jobs
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2005-05-02, 17:03

How does one hack an X-box game, exactly? My understanding with most games that have both Desktop and console versions is, when console gamers go online, the only other people they see in the server list are other console gamers.

IOW, Mac and PC users don't intermingle with console geeks on the servers (by design I'm guessing). Therefore all the hacking retards in PC and Mac-land, are not in the console equation for online deathmatches.

Is this not the case?

...into the light of a dark black night.
SledgeHammer

2005-05-02, 17:07

I really hate it when people do that. As far as the ranking resets, there is more information here. Basically, it's for the reason you stated. Ranks are designed solely for the purpose of matching payers of equal ability. With all the cheating that was going on, the highest ranked people weren't actually the best players. With many of the cheats fixed, they decided to reset the ranks and fine tune the system so that players will get matched more effectively with people at their own level.
SledgeHammer

2005-05-02, 17:11

You don't so much hack the game as exploit glitches in it. Bungie recently fixed most (or all) of the most exploited glitches, but there are still a few ways to generally be a jackass about things. There is a sudden-death timer on the "assault" games so that if someone is holding the bomb, time never runs out. It was designed to give people a last chance to score if they were making their move, but people will exploit it and go hide somewhere way out of the way with the bomb and force the game to last sometimes for hours. Eventually the other team gets fed up, quits, and the dickhead loses. This week, when they update the playlists on live, they are removing sudden death from assault games so people can't do that any more.
thuh Freak
Finally broke the seal

2005-05-03, 01:09

wow. i didn't expect anything that drastic. i was hoping the rank reset was just a hoax, like the friends list reset. nice to hear about the glitch fixes though. cool beens.
SledgeHammer

2005-05-04, 00:06

My last post should say "...the dickhead wins." Just for clarity (couldn't edit it).