Password
AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

What to do with older software

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
What to do with older software
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-01-13, 16:44

I was looking below my desk last night and noticing quite a bit of (mostly Apple) software I had, from the past 1-3 years.

What am I allowed to do with that? What do you guys do with yours?

Specifically, it's the following:

- OS X Panther
- iLife 04 (jigsaw puzzle motif)
- Keynote 1.0 (wood podium)

I'll have iLife 06 by this time tomorrow, and won't really be needing iLife 05 (in that cool, small colorful box with last year's design).

And, I'm sure before it's all over, I'll be getting iWork 06 as well (though not a heavy priority this minute).

I don't need Panther, and I certainly don't need two-year-old versions of iLife and the like sitting around taking up space.

But I was a bit unclear on the ethics or legalities of it all (selling, etc.). I've got no problem donating it to some worthwhile organization, but I'm not sure how in-demand those kinds of things would be...and especially in my town, which doesn't exactly seem to be a jumping hotbed of Mac and Apple activity.

What do YOU guys do with such things? I'd like to get some shelf space back, but I can't bear to just fling the stuff...

Do you sell it? Are you ALLOWED to sell it? Or are you just expected to eat it/trash it in time?

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2006-01-13, 16:48

As far as I know you can sell it, lots of people do. All your doing is selling the user lisence to someone else, so I don't see any issues with it. Old iLife sutes on ebay sell for like $20-30. Panther goes for between $30-80, depending on whether its on the upgrade CD, full CD or DVD. As for keynotes, donate it too someone, I don't think anyone would buy keynotes 1.0 as a stand alone product. You could always bundle a the lot together.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-01-13, 16:51

Really? That's good to know. I think i will do that. $30 is $30. I had no idea there was any real demand, assuming most folks would want the newest, coolest versions...

But, in the interest of being a swell guy and charitable citizen and all, maybe I'll poke around, make a few calls and see if I can come across any Mac-based organizations or non-profits in town who could benefit...

If no luck, I'll do the eBay thing.

I just want 'em gone.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2006-01-13 at 16:59.
Oompa Loompa
Awaiting Email Confirmation

2006-01-13, 17:16

http://www.secondhandmac.com/

Secondhand mac is also a great adress for all your old software & hardware, Pscates.

mercmerc

2006-01-14, 15:12

I have an important question kind of related to this topic.

I'm hearing that if you own non-Intel Apple software, when you pay to upgrade you will have to trade your disks in for the new disks. (exp. you have FCP 5, need to give that disk to Apple to get a Universal version from them) I have NEVER heard of being forced to actually give you old disks BACK to a company when paying for an upgrade. IS THIS TRUE?
Blue Light Bandit

2006-01-14, 15:43

You don't have to buy anything at all. Your current apps will run fine under the Rosetta emulation. If you want the newer version with new x86-native code, you have to pay *gasp* a relatively tiny upgrade fee.
mercmerc

2006-01-14, 15:48

Quote:
Your current apps will run fine under the Rosetta emulation.
You didn't read my post carefully, I said non-Intel APPLE software (i.e. Final Cut, etc.). They claim Apple applications WILL NOT run on Rosetta, so you will 'have' to pay for an upgrade. We all already know you have to 'pay' for the upgrade. The question was: when paying for that upgrade at a physical Apple Store (not online), will you have also have to turn in your old disks?

I just spent 15 minutes on the phone with an Apple.com rep, and he couldn't answer the question. He actually said, quote, "I'm stumped." And calling the physical stores doesn't work because they're all super busy this weekend (wonder why ), so you can't get anyone on the phone.

Last edited by mercmerc : 2006-01-14 at 15:54.