User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

Pro laptop memory needs

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Pro laptop memory needs
JKitterman

2006-01-11, 11:39

On the new MacBook Pro, I was sort of suprised it only has a 2 Gb memory capacity. For all you pro users that use the portables for video editing or other high end applications, do you think there should be more memory capacity? From looking at websites, I found the following software specs. Aperture 1 Gb min, 2Gb recommended. Final Cut Studio 1Gb min, 2 Gb recommended (HD feature). Adobe Creative Suite Premium looks to be at 1Gb recommended. I know all these were for PowerPC hardware and the requirements may be different under the Intel family. Is there a point where the work get put on a PowerMac because of memory requirements or is it more likely processing power?
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2006-01-11, 14:00

If you're serious about using the software you're talking about, you don't buy a portable machine, or you buy a portable machine with the expectation to use it less than your desktop machine. Yes, it's a "pro" level machine, but it will not replace a "pro" level desktop. It serves its purpose, but its purpose isn't to replace a quad processor PowerMac with a 30" display. It's really a combination of processing power, RAM, HDD speed and capacity (high def video is extremely HDD space intensive), FSB, caches, and screen resolution/brightness.

Laptop ≠ desktop, no matter how much people want it to.

Come waste your time with me
JKitterman

2006-01-13, 14:22

Are you saying 2 Gb is plenty for a laptop? I just figured a portable workstation class laptop could use more capacity since accessing the HD is so much slower. How is memory usage in OS X on workstation size problems? Is 2 Gb plenty?
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2006-01-13, 14:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMBand0026
Laptop ≠ desktop, no matter how much people want it to.
For Office and internet, it very well can be.