AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

"Unleashed" October 2021 Apple Media Event

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
"Unleashed" October 2021 Apple Media Event
Page 1 of 4 [1] 2 3 4  Next Thread Tools
Frank777
Veteran Member

2021-09-15, 17:42

Okay, so those iOS thingys are out of the way. An event for Mac product releases is next on the docket.

MacRumors has a basic rundown, and it's great - except for the lack of the larger-screen iMac.
Basically the 'Books, plus higher-end Mini and AirPods 3.

The one thing that gives me pause is whether Apple would really upgrade the Mini with an M1X without an option to do so for the 24" iMac? I mean, I'm so accustomed to Apple pushing people towards their AIOs, that I can't see Apple telling people to buy a more powerful computer to use with someone else's monitor and keyboard.

Anything else you think Apple may be planning? I don't believe the VR headset will come at this event.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-09-15, 18:12

I don't know what to believe anyone on all this AS/M1 stuff.

I'd love to get a full cycle of everything in by next spring, though, so we can at least begin to see how Apple plans on doing it (what goes in what, what gets called what, what sort of update timeframes they might be on, etc.).

So much unknown, open-ended stuff.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2021-09-15, 18:18

I don't buy the AirPods thing. It doesn't fit the theme at all. Here's my guess with the AirPods: they'll either release them with no event whatsoever, as they've already done with the AirPods Pro(!) and AirPods Max. Orrrrr they bundle them into an event where it makes sense: in spring, as outdoor hike season begins, they release the Apple Watch Trek™, a rugged version for the hardcore folks among us, and they'll release the all-new AirPods 3 with them.

Now that they have out of the way: no 30-inch iMac is a bit of a bummer, but it wouldn't shock me if that's true. I will say, though, that I'm pretty sure none of the rumors last year knew that the event was going to introduce an M1 MacBook Air, MacBook Pro and Mac mini all the same day. And I don't think anyone nailed "we'll see the iPad mini and the iPad 9 this week!" either. So maybe that part, too, is wrong, and we will in fact see an M2X 30-inch iMac.

I think it's plausible that the big iMac is the Pro (whether they put it in the name or not is another matter, but lately they seem happy to slap Pro branding on products), and the 24-inch iMac is not. So next year, that one will get the M2, but not the M2X, not even as an option.

I still don't really buy that they'll introduce an M1X in late 2021. They've already shown the Climatecatastrophe* and Minorclimatemessup* pair of performance and efficiency cores in the A15, and those will likely end up in the M2: as before, with a slightly higher clock, with more cores, and with additional features — at the least, Thunderbolt, but possibly also eGPU support this time. (It's still not clear to me if lack of eGPU support on the M1 is a driver issue that they'll eventually fix in software, a hardware limitation, or an outright decision that they're done doing that. I really hope it's not the latter?)

So, if 14- and 16-inch MacBooks Pro are coming in October, and they better be, because the 16-inch is now almost two years old (what is wrong with Apple? this is their flagship Mac laptop), I can't think of a good reason they'll ship with last year's cores. Corona-related shipment issues, yes, but if that were the reason, why bother putting the A15 in the iPad mini? They could've given that the A14 and instead prioritized the higher-margin Macs for this year's chips. No, I think we'll see the M2X.

Amusingly, it even looks like we'll see it before the M2 itself, unless they also introduce a minor upgrade to an existing M1 machine. Perhaps a spec bump for the Air, without the rumored redesign, and then the M1 Air goes to $799. It's gotta be strange for Cook to have a strategy where last year's iPhone, the one before that, and the one before that are sold for $100 off each, and then the one before that rebadged as the SE, and to have a similar strategy for the iPad (9th gen is two-years-old tech) and Watch (the SE is sort of a Series 4.5, but lacking some of the 4's and 5's features) — but nothing of the sort for the Mac. I think Apple Silicon is exactly the moment to fix that, and you fix it by continuing to sell last year's Air, which was a freakishly fast, mass-appeal laptop.

VR? No way.

*) this unfunny joke may be too obscure
Frank777
Veteran Member

2021-10-12, 11:28

I'd honestly thought - amidst the OS betas and supply chain wonkiness - that the event would be pushed to November.

But I was wrong. Next Monday it is.

Wait, it's on a Monday?
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-10-12, 11:42

"Unleashed" can mean only one thing.

And we all know what that is!

Frank777
Veteran Member

2021-10-12, 11:44

30" iMac with a detachable screen that becomes an iPad?
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2021-10-12, 11:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
"Unleashed" can mean only one thing.

And we all know what that is!

Mac OS X Tiger is coming back with a vengeance?
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

Finally, it’s here. It’ll be so cool to see what they’ve come up with. What the rumors got right (or wrong), a new smaller model, tweaked design, what the next-gen (or better) M1 gets called.

I was not expecting this. I, too, figured it would be a November thing, all things considered. Yay…something to look forward to!
kscherer
Which way is up?

Last year we got a glimpse of what Apple can do.

This year, I think we're gonna see what nobody else can do.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-10-12, 11:55

If they’re calling it “unleashed” - and knowing how hard folks would come down on them for not living up to such a proclamation - I bet we’ll be properly, thoroughly dazzled/impressed.

I’m hoping it’ll be last November x3.

And it should start to make a few things a bit clearer on the AS front as well…what to expect on releases in 2022, naming conventions, how the two variants may be assigned/positioned in the lineup, etc. I’m as excited for that stuff becoming known/clearer Monday as I am about new Macs.
¡Damned!

2021-10-12, 12:02

Is it weird that they're only giving a 6 day notice? Sure, it's stream-only so it's not like the journos need to book flights, but still. Some of us need to mentally prepare to be dazzled.

So it goes.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-10-12, 12:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
Some of us need to mentally prepare to be dazzled.
Some of us are younger than others, and our brains still function normally.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-10-12, 12:17

I think that recent iPhone even was a week-only notice too? These pre-filmed, online-only rollouts are nice because they get to skip all the logistics (wasted money) for the Grubers and Sterns of the world having to scramble to book flights to the Bay Area in a time where air travel sounds about a appealing as eyeball acupuncture therapy.

PS - I think I just set a new record for a run-on sentence.
chucker

2021-10-12, 13:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
Is it weird that they're only giving a 6 day notice? Sure, it's stream-only so it's not like the journos need to book flights, but still. Some of us need to mentally prepare to be dazzled.
I think it was usually seven days for the streaming events.

It’s also usually not Monday. This could be to avoid overlap with Google’s event on Tuesday. Maybe.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2021-10-12, 14:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
Nah, it’s snow leopard MkII.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-10-12, 15:00

In all seriousness...

- New MacBook Pros
- macOS Monterey
- iPad Air (why not last month the others?)
- Those AirPod things

That the safe, agreed-upon take? Any chance of any surprises? If a new, larger and beefier iMac were coming, seems we would've had some leaks by now.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-10-12, 15:12

While I'm looking forward to seeing new things from the Apple Silicon front, I'm really wanting a better Intel CPU in the mini.

I know I know....
chucker

2021-10-12, 15:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmith2.0 View Post
In all seriousness...

- New MacBook Pros
- macOS Monterey
Maybe. iOS 15 and iPadOS 15 were barely mentioned in the iPhone 13 / iPad 9 / iPad mini 6 event. And I think last year’s fall event didn’t mention Big Sur either.

Probably on the cutting room floor. If they’re running short, they’ll bring it up.

Quote:
- iPad Air (why not last month the others?)
My guess is no.

They might be recalibrating here. The last Air increased the price; maybe they’re looking at whether that works and then bringing the mini and Air back in sync next year.

Quote:
- Those AirPod things
Possibly, but AirPods often don’t have any event at all (neither the 2, nor the Pro, nor the Max were introduced at an event), and also, they would’ve fit better in the previous event.

Quote:
If a new, larger and beefier iMac were coming, seems we would've had some leaks by now.
Pretty sure nobody leaked last year that there would be three Macs, let alone which ones? I think the only leak was that an Air was coming.

So, maybe.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-10-12, 15:28

The MacBooks Pro seem obvious at this point. Sneakers would be a 30" iMac and an M1X Mac mini.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2021-10-12, 15:38

Wasn't AirPods 3 supposed to be in the mix as well?

Edit: Missed Chucker's explanation above.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-10-12, 16:07

Okay, the only thing I'm banking on are the new MacBook Pros. Which means we'll get everything but.
chucker

2021-10-12, 16:09

PowerBook G5 CONFIRMED

(Is this joke overdone yet? Asking for someone who does not care)
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-10-12, 16:12

It's never overdone. I've used it twice in 2021 to big laughs.

The gift that keeps on giving.
¡Damned!

2021-10-12, 16:16

I'd like to see the redesigned Mac mini at this event. If Apple can fit a whole damn computer behind the chin of the 24" iMac imagine what they could do for a mini redesign.

So it goes.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-10-12, 16:17

Quote:
Okay, the only thing I'm banking on are the new MacBook Pros. Which means we'll get everything but.
Quote:
PowerBook G5 CONFIRMED

(Is this joke overdone yet? Asking for someone who does not care)
Ha!

Way back in about early 2006, a man came into the store and wanted to see the new PowerBook G5. It went like this:

Him: "Show me the PowerBook G5."

Me: "The PowerBook G5?"

Him: "Yes. Do you have them in stock?"

Me: "Sir, there's no such thing as a PowerBook G5. Do you mean the PowerBook G4?"

Him: "No, I mean the G5. I saw them on the website this morning. I want to look at one in person."

Me: "Umm, there's no such thing …"

Him: "Clearly, you have no idea what you're doing. I'll go to CompUSA. They have them there."

Me: "Good luck with that."

Him: Stomps out the door like a spoiled child.

Me: ???

Yep. It's the joke that keeps on giving.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
Frank777
Veteran Member

2021-10-12, 16:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
The MacBooks Pro seem obvious at this point. Sneakers would be a 30" iMac and an M1X Mac mini.
Assuming that Apple's still into software other than the OS, it's could also be time for the AR app they've been working on.
The invite does seem to give out that kind of vibe.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-10-12, 16:54

Awesome, because if there’s one thing we need it’s another way to divorce/distract people from real life!

Said no one. Ever.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-10-12, 17:19

FYI: I updated the thread title to reflect reality.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2021-10-12, 17:36

Cool.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-10-12, 17:51

Quote:
Funny. Another fall-back. All the way back in 2005 when Tiger was released, we had a "Tiger Release Party" at the shop. We had food tents, a fire truck, police cars, a radio station, and we had boxes of Tiger delivered in the back of an ambulance with sirens flashing and all that. To top it off, we had tigers! That's right.

Real.

Live.

Tigers!

Two of them. Baby tiger cubs from a "zoo" up the freeway a bit (said zoo was shut down years ago for — you guessed it — cruelty to animals. ). I even have pictures — just no way to host them, or I'd make it happen.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)