User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Tech Tool Pro help

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Tech Tool Pro help
tacvbo83

2007-02-09, 11:15

Well I installed Tech Tool Pro 4.5.1 in my MBP because I read on a music magazine that it helps to optimize the hard drive especially if used in a music recording environment. So I got Tech Tool Pro and installed it with no problem. In order to optimize it, I "needed to make an eDrive" according to the software, if not I could not do it. So I did the eDrive and left it optimizing. When I got back hours later (yesterday) it was in its last stages of optimizing so I stopped it because I needed to do some homework. So I restarted it and everything back to normal. All of a sudden while I was on the net, it just restarted on its own and everything was messed up. (as in the startup, I could not even go to my desktop) After getting frustrated with no success at all and no Apple Care becasue it was to late in the day, I decided to reinstall everything again with the disk but it does not let me do it. (try again...try again) So this morning I just had a 35 minute call with AppleCare and no success in getting back to normal. Now they referred me to my local CompUSA for some help. (although I have had bad experinces there with the "Mac" guy since I probably know more than him and I don't know much about Mac(s). If they can't help me at CompUSA I am suppose to call them back for more help.

My question is, am I screwd??? OR is this covered under AppleCare where they will probably make me send the MBP to them (again, but it was something else) so they can fix themselves. I really don't have a problem getting a fresh system since I did not loose anything too valuable and its just of having time to have it the way I liked it. What do you think?

MBP 1.83 GHz, 2GB RAM
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2007-02-09, 11:37

Tip: Don't ever use TechTool Pro.
tacvbo83

2007-02-09, 11:39

yeah...i know that now

I am throwing that software away.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2007-02-09, 18:04

Yeah, I know it's too late, but TTP has caused nothing but nightmares for me and anyone I know who has used it.

Moving to the Genius Bar forum, home of tech support threads.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2007-02-09, 23:00

Just wanted to add my vote to this again. Tech Tool Pro is the evil half brother of the spawn of Satan that is Norton.
Suddoo

Send a message via MSN to Suddoo  
2007-02-10, 14:44

TTP is bad!

My tip: Get the freeware 'Onyx', which does optimisation, cleaning, maintenance, and much more. You can find it at:

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/20070

Its overall rating on versiontracker is 5 stars (!)

~/Suddoo


Small-time web designer for hire in teh UK
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2007-02-10, 15:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddoo View Post
TTP is bad!

My tip: Get the freeware 'Onyx', which does optimisation, cleaning, maintenance, and much more. You can find it at:

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/20070

Its overall rating on versiontracker is 5 stars (!)

~/Suddoo
OnyX in no way, shape, or form compares to low-level disk tools like Tech Tool Pro. The tasks that OnyX performs are relatively superficial and don't even require OnyX to operate; OnyX simply provides an additional interface to existing system functions.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2007-02-10, 15:08

You have to admit that it doesn't have the power to cause harm that TTP has, though...

It's like giving a baby a rubber hammer, not a razor-sharp hatchet.
Suddoo

Send a message via MSN to Suddoo  
2007-02-10, 15:18

Yes, but the average user doesnt need to have access to the (sometimes) over powerfull features.

Less than 5% of mac users need to have TTP (imo), and those are people who are running stuff like high-dependancy servers. Onyx has enough for me. However, with each new OS (10.3, 10.4) i wipe the HD anyway, and reformat it.

~/Suddoo

:edit: Brad:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
OnyX in no way, shape, or form compares to low-level disk tools like Tech Tool Pro. The tasks that OnyX performs are relatively superficial and don't even require OnyX to operate; OnyX simply provides an additional interface to existing system functions.
True, but as I said earlier, these features in TTP are not needed by many users, as they are just that: low level. Im not saying that TTP isnt superior to smaller utilities in that regard, merely that it is
a.) not needed by many (see above),
b.) you need to pay,
c.) its low level facilties (i.e. disk repair) require partitioning, and are simply to powerfull for yout average user.

Whereas, for a non-professional whatever, smaller maintenance utilites are enough...

*phew* give me the good old days of fsck -fy..

~/Suddoo

:EDIT2:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
OnyX simply provides an additional interface to existing system functions.
Yes, and how else are you meant to utilise these existing functions without a GUI? (unless you're a geek - no offence!)


Small-time web designer for hire in teh UK