16 and 14 Inch MacBoob Pro

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
16 and 14 Inch MacBoob Pro
Page 8 of 12 First Previous 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12  Next Thread Tools
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-07-28, 18:03

Drew's a pirate, and his ship is old.

Some people just never crawled out of the Caribbean.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-07-28, 18:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
That's not 6.
I ran out of energy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
Some people just never crawled out of the Caribbean.
Ships SAIL not CRAWL you IDIOT!!!

Kickaha
Veteran Member

2021-07-29, 01:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
it's probably a much better choice to instead get a USB-C hub or dock
*bing bing bing*

I have a CalDigit TS3+ dock, and it's swoonerific. Also, small enough that when I start having to travel again for work, I plan on taking it along.

https://www.caldigit.com/ts3-plus/
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-07-29, 09:07

Docks are great when you know you're going to land in a spot long enough to make it a temporary home, but when you're literally moving around all day you look for any excuse to keep the cables and dongles in their case.

It's going to be interesting to see what Apple actually rolls out. What if they had NO intention of including all of the ports that are rumored to be on the way???

What if they're, like, "FUUUUUUDGE.... we are going to look like huge assholes if we don't deliver these ports??"

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-07-29, 10:29

I don’t think they care. They’ve got a long history of zigging when we zag (or is it zagging when we zig?), and yanking things out before many would like, etc.

Part of me thinks these rumors are wishful thinking. I could see Apple’s next-gen pro notebook be as sleek, forward-looking as possible (no "legacy", old school ports or anything remotely smacking of 2005-2016ish). And they won’t give two swinging, on-fire rips who it irks.

Did you see their earnings the other day? They don't have to. Right or wrong, if there's ever been a company in a position to say "we'll do what we think is right, and you'll like it. Or you can piss right off!", it's Apple.

That seems to be more Apple-y...the sometimes-painful barreling toward The Future™, vs. “going backwards” and putting on ports they already removed (and looking like they were wrong/hasty or too cutting edge/ahead-of-the-curve*). IMO.

*I know they reversed themselves on the butterfly keyboard, but a) look how damn long it took to do so, and b) I believe I can count on one hand the number of times they've done such a thing (and still have 2-3 fingers left over).

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-07-29 at 13:54.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-07-29, 10:31

Unfortunately, people aren't smart enough to recognize (or admit) where these rumors come from. If they're not there, it's the media's fault, not Apple's.

In fact, a recent cease and desist attempt by Apple highlights this very thing.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2021-07-29, 11:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
I don’t think they care. They’ve got. Long history of zigging when we zag, and yanking things out before many would like, etc.

Part of me thinks these rumors are wishful thinking. I could see Apple’s next-gen pro notebook be as sleek, forward-looking as possible. And they won’t give two rips who it irks.

That’s Apple, way more than “going backwards” and putting on ports they already removed. IMO.
Yeah.

Like, I think a fair amount of people are unhappy about the ports. And about the lack of backlit logo. And the changes to the power adapter. And so on.

But… are those criticisms worth not buying the device over? No. The keyboard was a dealbreaker. Intel performance / heat output was a dealbreaker. Those things like ports irk people, but they aren't dealbreakers.

That said, maybe "eh, it's alright" isn't really the feeling Apple wants to leave Mac buyers with?
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-07-29, 13:18

Quote:
That said, maybe "eh, it's alright" isn't really the feeling Apple wants to leave Mac buyers with?
Yeah, I wouldn't be so excited if the rumors were "more of the same".

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2021-07-29, 13:40

For a pro product two USB-C ports would be a little underwhelming. For the Air, no problem. Even if you do use a hub, putting a bunch of high data use devices on the same port might not be ideal. Two would only leave you one for power and one for everything else.

Apple got the last gen Intel Mac Mini right, 6 USB ports (2A + 4 TB/C). M1 was a little disappointing in that regard. Fine, but meh for a desktop. Not the kind of feeling you want users to have.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-07-29, 13:55

I have to say, I love the TS3+ Dock Kickaha linked to before. I use it daily with my MBP that is pretty much always docked. Before that I used a Wavlink that is nice and compact. This is a great dock that I used to use as my desktop dock, now it sits in my laptop bag for times I need USB-A or SD cards on the go.

Really, it has taken away the dongle hell and the need to work about a bunch of little adapters. I actually have a thread all about it here.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-07-29, 15:33

I think that I'm pushing my position too far, but the idea of a laptop is mobility, and a dock is an "end of the journey" step for that type of tool. Otherwise, get a desktop.

(not trying to sound snarky, and am failing)

::hugs::

drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-08-04, 19:21

Here's something I've been pondering: how's the MagSafe going to work?

On my "classic" MBP the transformer is halfway up the line. A thick power cable on one side, a thin little (failure-prone) wire running to the machine.

The current MBP uses a USB cable, so it's thick and more resistant to being twisted into failure... but it would seem to "heavy" a lead to a magnetically coupled charge port.

If the new cable is USB thickness I can easily imagine it yanking the charger away, simply by being so stiff.

So this little engineering challenge is a puzzler, for me.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-08-05, 13:25

I think they'll go with induction pads through a plastic Apple logo on the bottom of the case.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-08-09, 15:48

Blah, blah, blah...weekly "update" of something people are going to forget to give a shit about by the time it actually comes out, etc.

But I saw something even more interesting:

Apple surveys customers on 12" MacBook...what they liked, didn't like, etc.

Story says they sometimes do this on products, but do they do so on things they discontinued two years ago and no longer make?

So are they planning to bring back a 12" MacBook of some sort? Maybe a 12" and (redesigned) 14" Air in the next 12-18 months? I saw a rumor a few weeks ago about a redesigned MacBook Air coming in 2022. And there is precedent on two sizes of the lower-end, consumer-oriented notebook...they solid those exact sizes of MacBook (or was it iBook?) years ago. So maybe they're thinking about fanless, "notebook for the rest of us" MacBook Air in 12" and 14" at some point, and then the 14" and 16" Pros (in whatever century they get released).
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2021-08-09, 15:50

That was the iBook. Weirdly, both had the same resolution, so the 14-inch was kind of the 12-inch for people with poorer eyesight and more money.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-08-09, 16:02

Ah, I remember that now. Wow, that was a whole lifetime ago it seems like.

Yeah, I assume they wouldn't do that again. Two appropriate resolutions for the two sizes now (both Retina, of course). People have long asked for a larger Air. If they did something like this and just settled on the three even numbers (with the 14" bridging two product categories), that would be kinda neat.

A really small, light 12" or a larger-than-current 14". Whether "Air" remains in the name, who cares (I kinda wish it would just drop and call them MacBook). Everything Apple makes is "Air" at this point...the novelty of "thin and light" being present in only one product ended about 6-7 years ago.

12" MacBook
14" MacBook
Both fanless, M1-based, two different resolutions that make sense for the size, "affordable" (Apple's version of the word, anyway)

14" MacBook Pro
16" MacBook Pro
No-compromise performance with whatever the next-gen M-whatever is coming, with the 14" not hobbled in any way (or don't call it Pro). Those who want/need the larger display can spring for it, but any "professional" who prefers the more compact 14" doesn't pay a penalty in lesser graphics, RAM options, etc. for once.

It'll be a fun, interesting day when these new Pros are released. I think Apple's store servers will be overwhelmed. The ship dates will go from "3-4 days" to "4-5 weeks" in about 90 minutes. I know several people sitting on go for that 14" model...they know it's coming and they're all set to roll the Rev. A dice!

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-08-09 at 16:19.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-08-17, 09:53

For those of you who bought an M1-based Mac since last October - an Air, 13" Pro or Mac mini, specifically (since they're the oldest of the bunch) - what are your plans if/when these redesigned MacBook Pros come out?

Are you happy/okay with your M1-based machine, or did you drop that $700-1,300 as a known stopgap/placeholder until the "real" stuff came later (and now it's about to)?

The idea of buying two new Macs within 12 months is completely alien/unthinkable to my cheap, keep-everything-forever ass , so I was curious if others here had plans to ditch their current M1 Mac and jump on a new 14" or 16" model soon?

Aside from that, those who are simply waiting it out and are on Intel-based Macs (the bulk of us), what do you plan to get? Are you interested in one of the two models at the center of this thread, or are you kinda hoping for either a larger iMac (~30"?) or for these beefier processors to make their way to the 24" iMac in 2022(?). Or are you one of those weirdo Mac Pro types who's cool with rolling the dice on the third major redesign in less than a decade?

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-08-17 at 10:11.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-08-17, 10:02

I just got my wife the new 13' MBP (M1) and there is no way in hell I'm going to replace it for the exact same reasons you wouldn't.

While I would "love" one for myself, I'm stuck needing x86/x64 for my VMs. I mean, arguable I could run then on another machine a remote into them, but that is just not worth the hassle.

Even if I had money to burn I wouldn't replace them really. For me, I buy when I need it and hold on to it until it doesn't do what I need it to do. The I go back to the beginning, buy it when I need it. Heck, I rarely wait for product cycles nowadays though will "suffer" longer if we all know it is coming, as in formally announced, not rumored.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-08-17, 10:28

Apple Pencil in the MBP?

I know this is just a patent and doesn't mean it will go into production, but this seems to trigger all kinds of concerns for me. I get on to my kids all the time about setting ANYTHING on the keyboard of a laptop. I've seen way to many cracked screen where someone shut the lid on the something a broke the screen. At least this would be in a recessed spot, but I would be paranoid over that still.

chucker

2021-08-17, 11:17

I really don't see them doing a tray like that. They might do a magnetic attachment on the side, and maybe there's (barely?) enough room there. Or maybe they'll do it on the back or front.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-08-17, 14:57

That would mean the MacBook would have a touch-screen, correct? People still clamoring for that, huh?

I don't think they want it as much as they think they do.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-08-17, 15:54

I have to say, the number of times I try to "touch" the screen on a laptop is unreal. Especially if I'm holding it in one hand typing with the other (like when walking around).

The ability would be nice, but I'm not clamoring for it.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-08-17, 16:04

I just don't know if they'd go through the trouble (and expense?) for an occasional, secondary usage/navigation thing.

Just seems like they should put more effort/capability into iPadOS for those folks.

I sometimes catch myself wondering "do I even need a Mac at this point? Could I just do all I want/need on a nice, roomy iPad Air? Maybe someday. I said years ago that I could imagine my Mac-using life coming to an end eventually, and just using iOS/iPadOS only at some point. It's scary how close I am to that these days. It's something I think about more than I used to.

The clamoring I see is every single comment thread on any MacBook-related article over at MacRumors. Some folks over there are absolutely hung-up/obsessed on the idea.

I'm just not a fan of hybrid things that do neither job optimally (is that the correct word?). I'm cool with notebooks being trackpad/mouse-driven and iPads for the touchers/pinchers. Apple may be heading in that direction - converging/blending the two - but I don't think it'll be anytime soon.

Over at Office Depot there are some HP AIO computers on display and a couple of them were touch-screen based. I know me...the amount of time I'd think about "do I touch or mouse it?" would just eat into my day and drive me bonkers.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-08-17, 16:11

In my experience with touch-based laptops—which, I'll admit isn't a lot—I've witnessed too many double- and triple-attempts to hit some tiny little target to believe that it's a good idea. Microsoft Word's gazillion buttons don't get any bigger just because you can poke them with a finger.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
chucker

2021-08-17, 16:47

It’s definitely a compromised experience even in Windows 11, IMHO. It’s just not as great as iPadOS.

There is appeal to the idea of The Best Of Both Worlds, but not in a way that feels very Apple-like. Plus, Apple gets to sell you two devices.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-08-17, 16:59

Quote:
Plus, Apple gets to sell you two devices.
You mean Apple gets to sell you two devices. Apple still hasn't convinced me why I need an iPad at all.

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2021-08-17, 17:58

Counter argument, Apple cannot convince me I need a notebook when the iPad Pro exists.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-08-17, 18:03

So, neither of us need two things. That's great, because it means that Apple makes a product that works for each of us, with very different use cases.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2021-08-17, 22:25

I think my wife and are in a bit of a different scenario than most.

We have 2 M1 MacBook Pros and 2 M1 iMacs. (Business purposes, but still)

When I saw the rumor about the colored ones, we both agreed that we'd upgrade to a colored one if that choice was available. I'm sure the MBPs would hold good value and we'd be able to upgrade with a tolerable(?) upgrade cost.

Obviously, it would depend on the colors and the specs, but if they released a MBP in the same orange as my iMac, I'd have a pre-order on that thing in a second.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-08-18, 05:10

Interesting…I haven’t heard anything about the MacBook Pro coming in colors (that would be a first for a “pro” designated Mac, right?). I don’t know…I just can’t see it happening; I’d be very surprised if they did so. But you never know with them.

There are some articles at MacRumors about a redesigned MacBook Air coming in 2022 and available in colors.

Hard to find magine them doing the rainbow array on pro gear. Personally, I think any Mac with “Pro” in its name should be Space Grey only. Set it apart, visually, from all the other Macs, which would come in silver (or colors, where it makes sense). I don’t think anyone would really complain if every Pro Mac was a darker, “serious” color, the way they did with the iMac Pro.