User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Testing Ethernet Card Mac Mini (2019 Intel)

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Testing Ethernet Card Mac Mini (2019 Intel)
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-08-02, 00:10

I am concerned that the Ethernet card in my 2019 Mac Mini was affected by our recent lightning strike.

At this point I am NOT seeing network activity lights on the network switch connected to the Mac Mini. There are 3 other functional devices plugged into that switch.

I have tested 3 different empty ports on the switch and have tested 3 different Ethernet cables, with the same results: no activity.

The System Report isn't informative. For "Ethernet Cards" it simply shows addressing information and product ID and vendor ID, no confirmation of hardware functions.

I booted the computer up while holding down the D key to put it into a hardware test mode.

The result came back saying that I had no issues.

This is *not* true.

This device is still under AppleCare+ warranty through 2022, so it's good for being serviced.

Is there anything that y'all could think of that I could try to give the Ethernet card a kick in the pants before I reach out to Apple?

Thanks for humoring me?

Last edited by drewprops : 2021-08-02 at 00:34.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2021-08-02, 11:47

By card what do mean? USB dongle? Thunderbolt hub? Is it listed as Mac compatible? Does it require drivers? Not all those devices are plug and play after all.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-08-02, 12:27

I suspect Drew is talking about the Mini's built-in Ethernet? It's not really a "card", though.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2021-08-02, 12:57

Yeah, that was likely the source of confusion. If the built in unit is not showing network activity, not much you can do. There are commands in Terminal you can put in to ping the network via the built in Ethernet, that would be the definitive way to check.

As a side note, I don't think normal Apple Hardware test (the one consumers have access to) even checks the Ethernet port. I think all it checks is CPU and RAM.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2021-08-02, 13:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
The System Report isn't informative. For "Ethernet Cards" it simply shows addressing information and product ID and vendor ID, no confirmation of hardware functions.
What does ifconfig say?
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-08-02, 23:27

Thanks everybody, you have taught me a bit.

I used the term "Ethernet Card" because the menu item under which the System Report is labeled "Ethernet Cards". Mine lists a bridge interface with the BSD name of en6.

I tested the ethernet cable and switch connection the old-fashioned way using a laptop which had its wireless turned off to ensure it only tried to connect using Ethernet.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter