AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Safari 2.0 and Text Size Issue

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Safari 2.0 and Text Size Issue
justinseth

Send a message via AIM to justinseth  
2005-05-16, 16:34

Hi guys,

My name is Justin and I am having a problem with Safari 2.0. I am running OS X Tiger and my screen resolution is 1280x1024.

When I start Safari, I use Yahoo! as my frontpage like I have for many moons. Well, everytime I start Safari, I have to adjust the text size so I can read it. I thought there was a way I could have Safari remember my text sizes, so I looked under preferences, etc. I thought changing the font and sizes under the appearance preferences would do the trick, but nada. As soon as I close the window, and re-open it, the text goes right back as small as it was in the beginning.

I didn't have this problem before I upgraded to Tiger and the new Safari 2.0 RSS. I am wondering if I am doing something wrong or if there was a new setting somewhere. I just think it's odd that it doesn't remember my personal settings.

You know I love you guys and all your wisdom .

Mac Mini 1.0
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2005-05-16, 16:43

Are we talking about the Yahoo main page, or what? I'm sorta curious to compare how it loads in my Safari to yours thats all, before I offer a recommendation.

Because it could simply be a poorly written page. You might want to repair permissions, seems like this could be Safari not being able to write a new preference file - due to permissions. If that doesn't work, I'd backup the preference files and wipe them to see if that fixes it. Lastly, I'd probably reinstall Safari... but I'd wait. Reinstalling safari has never usually helped me with any problems..

User formally known as Sh0eWax
justinseth

2005-05-16, 16:54

Yes, it's the default page for Yahoo! http://www.yahoo.com. Yahoo! seems to load pretty quickly for me. I have low-speed broadband and I've never had any problem with it being slow. I like Yahoo! in the fact you can search, get 'top' news stories, and you have pretty quick access to Yahoo! mail if you have an account with them.

I have repaired my permissions, but unfortunately, that did not correct my problem. Where would I find this preference file? I assume I would go under Applications, and then Safari RSS package contents, but where to then? I must admit that OSX is fairly new to me (Mac community member since March 05!) and I have limited knowledge outside my OSX Missing Manual book. ha ha

I do appreciate your very quick reply. That was freakin' awesome. I was sitting here and about 2 minutes after I posted my message, I had a return reply. I love this forum

Thanks again,

Justin

Mac Mini 1.0
MCQ
Veteran Member

Send a message via MSN to MCQ  
2005-05-16, 18:13

Did you use the Advanced pane of Safari preferences? There's a setting for minimum font size in Safari - I'm guessing that's what you're looking for.

Also, as an FYI, I think Safari preferences are stored in ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Safari.plist
justinseth

2005-05-17, 09:38

Hmmm ... wonder why I didn't see that minimum font setting before? Welp, that fixed it. Sorry for the trouble guys.