AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

Paris Expo - Steve Jobs to do Keynote

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Paris Expo - Steve Jobs to do Keynote
Page 1 of 5 [1] 2 3 4 5  Next Thread Tools
mooty

2005-08-05, 06:30

Quote:
Apple Computer chief executive and cofounder Steve Jobs is scheduled to present the opening keynote address at this year's Apple Expo, AppleInsider has learned.

The event will take place in Paris, France from Sept. 20 to 24 and represents the largest exhibition of its kind in Europe. Last year's expo drew some 70,000 Mac fans, who traveled from all parts of the world to witnessed the launch of Apple's all-in-one iMac G5 desktop.

But for Jobs, this year's event will mark the first time in over two years that he will present publicly in Europe. Jobs was forced to miss last year's Apple Expo after being diagnosed and treated for an acute form of pancreatic cancer known as an islet cell neuroendocrine tumor.

According to sources close to Apple, Jobs' staff have already arranged for his trip overseas. Judging by the preparations being made for the Paris expo, sources further stated that Jobs is expected to make at least one major announcement during his presentation.

In a research note released to clients this week, analysts for PiperJaffray, a firm which closely monitors Apple every move, said the Paris show would likely deliver an iPod mini with color screen or larger capacity iPod shuffle music player.

At Apple Expo 2003, Jobs introduced updates to Apple's PowerBook line and also unveiled the company's first Bluetooth wireless Keyboard and Mouse. Meanwhile, last year's show gave way to the iMac G5, which was introduced by Apple marketing chief Phil Schiller in lieu of Jobs' absence.

Earlier this week, Jobs flew to Japan where he unveiled a Japanese version of the company's iTunes Music Store to an enthusiastic crowd at Tokyo's International Forum.
Taken from http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=1222

What do we reckon people? You think all he'll announce is the new ipod mini's ? What about iPhone? Could be an alternative to the Virgin Festival rumour..?

morningstarrising
Veteran Member

2005-08-05, 06:54

Well since the Mighty Mouse is out, I guess that won't be at Paris :P

No iPhone...Motorola is behind that and has the launch party all ready...

MCQ
Veteran Member

Send a message via MSN to MCQ  
2005-08-05, 07:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by morningstarrising
No iPhone...Motorola is behind that and has the launch party all ready...
for Apple Expo Paris! I think it gets introduced there.

Franz Josef
Passing by

2005-08-05, 08:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by morningstarrising
Well since the Mighty Mouse is out, I guess that won't be at Paris :P
Absolutely true, now the Mouse has broken cover, no big announcements in Paris

I would very much like to go, but we're expecting our first child during the conference - I guess I could simply bring my wife too......

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-08-05, 09:29

It'll be a goofy iPod-related thing of some sort, just watch. Worse, it'll be the "one more thing..." part of the keynote (where people might actually expect something truly cool and novel).

"New 2GB iPod shuffles with COLORS...blue and red!"...and RDF revved to the max.

Do I sound a tad bitter and iPod-ed out? Because I AM.

If it's something truly more than the above, I'll be pleasantly surprised and thrilled.

I'd like to see a 17" Cinema Display. Or that dreaded tablet thing, even. SOMETHING other than iPod/iTunes/iTMS related. Please?

If it's an Ashlee Simpson Special Edition iPod, I will jump out a window...maybe even from the second floor.

Franz Josef
Passing by

2005-08-05, 09:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0
Worse, it'll be the "one more thing..." part of the keynote (where people might actually expect something truly cool and novel).
Hey don't knock it I just watched the iMac DV keynote again - I lost count how many "one more thing's" we had

morningstarrising
Veteran Member

2005-08-05, 10:06

Quote:
Welll..when you sell SIX MILLION iPods in one quater..you just don't say "Ok , we're done"

Come on, Apple is as much the iPod line as much as the Mac line. And when the Mac line can have more then just minor speed bumps and new toys, it will get way more attention then the iPods and it has under this G5 IBM reign of terror.

And I think it's a pretty much a safe bet that new iPods will only be announced at MacWorld San Fran and/or a special yearly iPod event(or two).

Have iPod/iTunes items happen outside of those two situtations the last two years? Not if my memory is correct.

So i think it is safe to say that Mac Paris will be iPod/iTunes free...unless it is realy really major.

Expect a iTunes event some time before Christmas in the US...

Last edited by morningstarrising : 2005-08-05 at 10:10.

dfiler
Veteran Member

2005-08-05, 10:37

I don't get why people view iPod success as neglect of the Macintosh. They are built by separate teams both of which have excellent staffing and budgets. Not only that, the products aren't at odds with each other.

Franz Josef
Passing by

2005-08-05, 10:43

A complimentary stratgey

doublem9876

Send a message via AIM to doublem9876  
2005-08-05, 11:04

If Apple was ever to announce these tablet things, I should hope they do it in the form of these laptops where it's a regular laptop, but you can twist the screen around to make it a tablet. The screens are touch sensitive. When I find a picture of these, I'll post it.

womblingfree

2005-08-05, 11:12

if they announce a widescreen iBook (when I just bought the 14") I'll give up computing and take up fishing.

atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

Send a message via AIM to atomicbartbeans  
2005-08-05, 11:21

The "one more thing" will be a rant by Steve Jobs about UI discoverability and the Mighty Mouse, and a forewarning to developers that goes something like "If you don't keep your UI discoverable, you're going to get a damned earful at WWDC, with mandatory seminars on Apple's UI philosophy".

You heard it from me first.

You ask me for a hamburger.

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2005-08-05, 11:40

Two words:

iPod. Video.

On the Mac side...part of me hopes that you are all right in thinking that the Powerbook will get one final push on the G4 by the end of the year (hopefully soon - so I can get one instead of an iBook), but I don't think that'll be at PAE, because it's "just" a hardware bump. So...eMac G5? Mac Cube? If "We've got some more great PPC products in the pipeline" meant that Apple had some new PPC products in the pipeline, those would be my best guesses. I definitely think PAE would be the last chance for Apple to introduce new PPC hardware.

I don't think either computer is a likely bet, though.

But I'd love to be proven wrong...

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-08-05, 11:45

Franz, morningstar and dfiler: I'm aware of all the points you make.

I just like to see stuff other than the iPod take center stage sometimes.

Yeah, a cool vPod or something really NEW and DIFFERENT wouldn't bother me. But a simple capacity bump or silly color shuffles or whatever (in other words, lame fluff) is what I'm not interested in.

See?

Just hope Paris is the venue for something a) totally new and unexpected, OR b) a substantial, buzzworthy upgrade/refinement to an existing NON-iPod product, that's all.

atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

2005-08-05, 11:54

Quote:
Just hope Paris is the venue for something a) totally new and unexpected, OR b) a substantial, buzzworthy upgrade/refinement to an existing NON-iPod product, that's all.
Hear hear.

Quagmire
meh

2005-08-05, 11:55

Ok, I am going to say it. For those people who don't like it, please stop reading here. It involves the Powerbook and a certain chip.

I think the Powerbook G5 will debut. Just remember last years WWDC how Jobs put into Spotlight iMac, Paris, and dome. Jobs said this year is that there isn't a Powerbook G5 "yet". Since the Intel switch is going consumer up, the Powerbook won't probably go Pentium M or Yonah until 2007. So the Powerbook G5 will enjoy roughly a year and half. The Powerbook G5 along with a 970MP powered Powermac will be the "great PowerPC products" in the pipeline, Jobs is talking about.

giggity

Last edited by Quagmire : 2005-08-05 at 11:57.

atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

2005-08-05, 12:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quagmire
I think the Powerbook G5 will debut.

Last edited by atomicbartbeans : 2005-08-05 at 12:23.

shatteringglass

2005-08-05, 12:18

Quote:

You're not alone.

Carlos Net

Send a message via AIM to Carlos Net Send a message via MSN to Carlos Net  
2005-08-05, 12:41

Quote:
If Apple was ever to announce these tablet things, I should hope they do it in the form of these laptops where it's a regular laptop, but you can twist the screen around to make it a tablet. The screens are touch sensitive. When I find a picture of these, I'll post it.
Two words: Hell. Yes.

Can you imagine what kind of wonders Steve's Reality Distortion Field could work with THAT? Hell, make it standard on all the PowerBooks, they need differentiation...

If there was one of those, I would murder infants to get one. No, really. -_-

morningstarrising
Veteran Member

2005-08-05, 12:51

I doubt Apple would wasted a major event on silly bumps. Well the Apple I seen since I bought a iBook in 2003 hasn't...

I'm pretty much sure the center of the Paris even will NOT be just an iPod...Hell I'm even more sure it won't be an iPod bump.

But i'd like a credit card thin mini...but I like all iPod stuff

iDaver

2005-08-05, 14:46

Talk, about developers getting ready for Intel, number of songs sold, and maybe a PowerBook speed bump (7448s) is about all I expect at Paris. No new Mac hardware until at least March, would be my guess.

Amadeus

2005-08-05, 15:06

I'm not going to expect anything in particular. That way I can be excited by what he announces.

rasmits
rams it

2005-08-05, 15:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicbartbeans
OH NO!!!

thegelding
feeling my oats

Send a message via AIM to thegelding  
2005-08-05, 15:15

he will release the iDoll

note the date

g

oldmacfan
Veteran Member

2005-08-05, 15:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicbartbeans
Are you done beating a dead horse? Because the PPC line is not dead yet.

The Return of the 'nut
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2005-08-05, 15:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertaker
Ok, I am going to say it. For those people who don't like it, please stop reading here. It involves the Powerbook and a certain chip.

I think the Powerbook G5 will debut. Just remember last years WWDC how Jobs put into Spotlight iMac, Paris, and dome. Jobs said this year is that there isn't a Powerbook G5 "yet". Since the Intel switch is going consumer up, the Powerbook won't probably go Pentium M or Yonah until 2007. So the Powerbook G5 will enjoy roughly a year and half. The Powerbook G5 along with a 970MP powered Powermac will be the "great PowerPC products" in the pipeline, Jobs is talking about.
they have said nothing to suggest they are going from the bottom up for the transition.

The Powerbook will be among the first to transition if not the first. It's the one product that needs it the most. And honestly, after 2 years of crappy powerbook performance, I don't think they have anything to fear about releasing an Intel Powerbook and people not being ready for it. The demand is there and the performance increase will be vast.

I see 970MP PowerMacs if they aren't announced earlier. If they are, the keynote will be a recap of everything with one thing new, like a peripheral (AMAZING 40inch CINEMA DISPLAY)

iPods will likely be saved for an america located special event. Seems to be the iPod way

morningstarrising
Veteran Member

2005-08-05, 15:44

I'd say look at the past to see what we should expect in Paris:

Quote:
Paris 2002

Macs will boot only on Mac OS X starting in 2003.

Jaguar Demo

iCal and iSync

Quote:
Paris 2003

12" PowerBooks, 15" PowerBooks, 17" PowerBooks

Bluetooth Mouse/Keyboard.

Panther Demo

Power Mac G5 to Reach 3Ghz(lol)

No software

- The Special Edition iPod did not make an appearance as predicted by ThinkSecret.
Quote:
Paris 2004

iMac G5, 17-inch and 20-inch

Tiger Demo

No Software

ThinkSecret nailled it each year(Except the U2 iPod no show, which showed up later)..so I expect the same this year.

Another thing most rumors(Widescreen Powerbooks) happen later on. Another intresting thing is the iTablet was rumored for 2004.

I wonder if Leopard will show up..Maybe not till Paris 2006. and then released in October.

Last edited by morningstarrising : 2005-08-05 at 15:47.

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2005-08-05, 16:11

I thought the 12" and 17" Powerbooks were announced at MWSF 2003?

Or are you just saying they were bumped at PAE?

murbot
Hoonigan

2005-08-05, 16:42

Dead horse images used in this context must include it being beaten.

Jeez, you guys.

atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

2005-08-05, 18:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmacfan
Are you done beating a dead horse? Because the PPC line is not dead yet.
Actually, I was referring to the topic of a PB G5 coming this soon after low-power chips are announced being a dead horse.

Sorry Murbot, I just thought that one looked nice and realistic.

You ask me for a hamburger.