AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

Early Reviews of Sierra

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Early Reviews of Sierra
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
drewprops
Space Pirate

2016-06-22, 18:23

Digg posted a collection of remarks from various sources about Sierra.

Here's the link.

Do any of you "have friends who have it" that may have some notes to share?

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
kscherer
Which way is up?

2016-06-22, 18:28

I'm in the Public Beta program, but that doesn't come until July. So for now, I can only make things up.

On a side note, did you know that the kernel is internally known as Mist?

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2016-06-22, 21:05

I cannot confirm, or deny, that I have, or haven't, been running Sierra on one of my machines for over a week. I also cannot confirm or deny that it is very stable for an early build. I also cannot confirm or deny if it is better or worse than 10.11.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2016-06-22, 23:42

I'll say that so far I have way more beach balling than I did with 10.11. Things can seem to take forever to open up. Simple things like 1Password's Mini thing even. Overall it's really stable though. No KP or anything that's made me force boot it that I can think of.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

Send a message via ICQ to turbulentfurball Send a message via AIM to turbulentfurball Send a message via MSN to turbulentfurball  
2016-06-23, 02:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
Digg posted a collection of remarks from various sources about Sierra.

Here's the link.

Do any of you "have friends who have it" that may have some notes to share?

Wait, digg is still alive?!
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2016-06-23, 12:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
I'll say that so far I have way more beach balling than I did with 10.11. Things can seem to take forever to open up. Simple things like 1Password's Mini thing even. Overall it's really stable though. No KP or anything that's made me force boot it that I can think of.
Interesting, cannot say I've had any issues with apps being slower than normal, even on the disgustingly slow 5400rpm drive in my 2012 Mini. I've seen the odd beach ball, but nothing more than normal (usually when the RAM limit is hit and it starts using the HDD). I have seen a few GUI bugs, like crazy glitching on the edges of of screen. Nothing unusual for an early developer preview though, and much better than the Mavericks, Yosemite and El Capitan early builds.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2016-06-23, 12:29

I haven't really had any issues at all either on my MacBook. Storage optimization did free up about 40 GB of space though, so that's welcome.

Overall, not too much difference really.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
Partial
Stallion

2016-06-26, 23:39

Quote:
This is typical for pre-release Mac OS though. El Capitan was really unstable and beach-bally for me until a few betas before GA.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2016-07-18, 13:08

I installed the beta last week and am currently reinstalling El Cap. I had good success with the El Cap beta, and used it right up to GM.

However, with Sierra I am getting monster beach-balling in Safari, one email account quit altogether, and persistent Java crashing.

It's beta, so goofiness is expected, but too much goofiness is cause for deletion, so away it goes.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)

Last edited by kscherer : 2016-07-18 at 13:32.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2016-07-18, 21:44

Sounds like a borked install, never seen any of those issues, and as far as I know up until the last dev update (release today) the open beta and the dev version were the same build.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2016-07-19, 00:05

Might have been. Either way, I'll let this one progress a bit. I install the betas out of curiosity and don't have time for beachballs.

Besides, in terms of usefulness, only the App Tabs offered anything I care about, and I can wait for that.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2016-07-19, 13:17

They just updated the beta last night and it is a little more stable than it's been. I've been seeing the beach balls bad in Safari on my MBP and Mac mini. So this has been the least stability I've had though. Other than the horrible time with Safari it's been fairly stable.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2016-07-19, 13:22

Meh. I restored to 10.11 and things are working even better than they were before the beta. Something was likely wrong with my previous 10.11 install, they borked completely with 10.12, and now they are smashingly wonderful.

Frank777
Veteran Member

2016-09-20, 12:22

If anyone can let me know if pre-Creative Cloud versions of Adobe Creative Suite (specifically InDesign CS5) work okay with Sierra, I'd be grateful.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2016-09-21, 12:00

Don't know if Sierra is just working fine for most, or if it's off to a slow adoption start.

But for a free update, I'm not seeing a whole lot of online commenting (and the usual complaining) about the new OS.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2016-09-21, 13:10

I keep meaning to check my other computer which has an older Adobe suite on it. I'll try to recall to post back here later tonight what it is.

Frank777
Veteran Member

2016-09-21, 13:52

No problem, I suspect that Java 6 compatibility is out for Sierra (Apple had announced El Cap would be the last OS to officially support it.)
Which means CS5 and CS6 are likely toast.

But for a brand new release, I just thought it's been strangely quiet on the Mac web.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2016-09-21, 18:18

It's quiet, because there is nothing exciting to talk about...
Frank777
Veteran Member

2016-09-21, 18:21

Ouch. Okay Cupertino, you can roll those new Macs out now. Nobody cares about the new OS.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2016-09-21, 18:25

Well, unless you are a social media junky (messages), or use Siri a lot, it's kind of non-event update. I don't even think there were any big under the hood changes. I've been running beta's of Sierra full time on one of my machines since June, and other than some bugs that got fixed I really haven't noticed any difference over 10.11.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2016-09-22, 07:39

I have CS6 on the machine and Photoshop is broken now but InDesign seems to load normally. I don't use it at all so I can't tell you how well it works, but it at least loads right. Not sure what happened to PS. I'm going to have to reinstall it to try. I just haven't been doing photo work like I used to.

Graculus

2016-09-22, 11:39

My Photoshop CS6 works just fine, but Illustrator 6 doesn't launch, instead asking for Java, with a link to
https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1572?locale=en_GB
Once quickly installed, Illustrator also seems to work fine.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2016-09-22, 11:54

Yeah, it's mostly social media B.S. and Siri. Although the application tabs intrigue me to no end. I use Pages so much and regularly have so many documents open at once, that tabs make a lot of sense, although that is yet to be tested by yours truly, since the Beta gave my wife's email a swirly. Unhappy wife, unhappy life. So, El Cap will remain until I am confident multi-user email settings are getting the shaft-ola!

Keep in mind, once the OS is "free", there is little drive to add amazing new features. If this OS was $19, people would be fuming! "Nineteen dollars for Siri? Are you joking?"

Still, there is also Document and Desktop folder syncing, and the Disk Utility brings back software RAID, which is huge for us.

Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2016-09-22, 13:10

I'm planning on installing it on both of my machines this evening after work. The downloads took FOREVER which was annoying. On my MBP, I had it downloading for probably 14-15 hours before it finished. It took probably 10-12 hours on my Mac Mini. Both on wifi and I run 50 down.

The only software I use that really concerned me about compatibility was Quickbooks 2016 but they already said that it is compatible, but 2014 and 2015 is not. Other then that, I pretty much use all standard stuff.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2016-09-22, 13:57

Received an alert from ScanSnap (Fujitsu, it's the software that integrates with their awesome scanners)

There are apparently Sierra bugs that can cause flat out data loss of *previously* scanned documents... but they're being mum on what portion of their software suite is the problem. Grr.

Anyway, heads up if you're a ScanSnap user. I'm holding off until resolved, I rely on that package too much.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2016-09-23, 17:55

I've had Sierra for 2 days now and.......I literally notice no difference.
thegeriatric
geri to my friends

2016-09-23, 18:50

Apart from siri(which I don't use) what Yontsey said.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2016-09-24, 12:20

geri, you came back to Mac after using the Chromebox? What did you end up getting?
Jason
Veteran Member

2016-09-24, 17:47

The only problem I've had is Spotlight constantly reindexing (I don't think it's actually stopped since the install).

I've had to resort to some terminal tricks to kill mds in the hope it will calm down.
thegeriatric
geri to my friends

2016-09-24, 19:27

Quote:
geri, you came back to Mac after using the Chromebox? What did you end up getting?
Well I hate to admit it, but i was using Windows 10 for quite a while After a while although I quite liked it, I began to realise it is very much still a work in progress.

So I decided to dig out my (now 5 year old) Mac mini, running without problem for nearly 2 weeks, including a recent update to Sierra. Although Mac OS is not perfect, it is so much better than anything else I have tried.

Apple have been forgiven for all the previous issues I had. Would like to buy a new mini but need to see an update/redesign. Something along the lines of a smaller Mac pro case, removable cover with user upgradeable components would be perfect.

I can dream can't I ??

I used to be undecided.....But now I'm not so sure.
No trees were harmed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.