AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

HomeKit for Secure Video

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
HomeKit for Secure Video
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-06-03, 15:10

I totally missed this being talked about during the keynote but I'm thrilled I found a blog that mentioned it. This is exactly what I was looking for when I got my doorbell camera. I don't like my video going to someone else's servers...at all (and yet I use iCloud Storage for photos ). However, this means that if I can get me a camera for my door that will allow me to see who is there and not have it go to a third party then I'm all over this. It isn't just when someone else comes to my door that I'm not wanting others to see, it is when my family comes and goes. I don't have cameras inside my home because I have no desire to have someone else able to watch my live. I don't like reality TV.

Because I missed the part of the keynote that actually talked about this I'll just quote an article I read that shed some light on it for me:
Quote:
HomeKit for Secure Video will work with upcoming cameras from Logitech and Arlo to analyze images before they are uploading to the internet and will encrypt that feed and store it on iCloud. According to the company, even it won't even be able to see what's been uploaded to their servers. The service will include 10 days of recordings and won't count against someone's storage space.

The service will be included in the price of an iCloud subscription. That's bad news for companies like Nest that charge a subscription premium to give its customers access to video saved in the cloud.
The control for routers looks compelling too, but I'm running commercial network gear for my home so that is not an option and I won't downgrade to use it.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-09-04, 10:52

With companies handing over their data to quietly create a police state I'm really looking forward to this coming out. That I saw, only Netamo has said they will be integrating Secure Video but I'm sure others will come along. With the release of iOS 13 pending, it can't be much longer before someone puts out a doorbell to handle it.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-09-04, 11:44

I have a better solution: How about "no internet-connected control-thingy's in the house?" Yeah, I like that idea.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-09-04, 12:06

Well, I would really rather it only feed a NVR in my home so only I could access it, but having it go through Apple seems to be the least of all evils in that real right now.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-09-04, 13:42

True that. However, with all of the software holes and security breaches that keep happening, I just worry that someone is going to get hold of a lot of people's front door "keys" and trouble is going to ensue.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-09-04, 14:34

Smart locks are a whole other topic. I have zero intention of getting a smart lock for my home. The concept is cool and calls to me like a Siren at sea, but I won't give in. There are too many insecurities in those systems still.

Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2019-09-13, 23:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
Smart locks are a whole other topic. I have zero intention of getting a smart lock for my home. The concept is cool and calls to me like a Siren at sea, but I won't give in. There are too many insecurities in those systems still.
It's easier to just pick your lock or break your door.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2019-09-14, 09:59

Considering that most of the smart locks I've seen reviews for have terrible locking mechanisms, just about anything else is better anyway. I remember seeing a few that the lock mechanism was accessible from the outside via a single screw.

As for home security via video, it's hit and miss, and I question whether it's worth the investment at all. Where I worked in the past we caught plenty of folks stealing things on video, who the police knew rather well, but for some reason or another they couldn't use the video as evidence for an arrest, it was ridiculous.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2019-09-14, 11:47

I have the Schlage Sense on multiple doors in my house and absolutely love them. They connect via HomeKit and haven't carried a key with me since I got them 2.5 years ago. There's no way you could access the mechanism from the outside. I have them set where they automatically lock after 4 minutes if I don't manually lock them when I get home. Being able to program a key code for someone if they need to come check on my house or let my dog out from anywhere in the world is amazing.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-09-17, 13:49

The thing about picking a lock is you have to be trained to do it and far fewer people will do that. Script kiddies can hack open garage doors and locks with minimal training thanks to step-by-step guides out there.

My doors are the original ones installed when the house was built. That means depending on how long the sun has been heating them up I may have to push on the door to turn the lock. This means automated ones would really struggle with my doors aside from the security risk that I do not feel outweighs the benefits.

Video is nice because you don't have to question the truth. Even if you can't follow up with an arrest. We recently had a delivery company come to drop off an appliance first thing in the morning. Thanks to the cameras I was able to specify they weren't on my property for even 5 minutes when they said they were here for over 15 minutes waiting on us. We never got to the door before they had already left the street. Because I was able to provide details and specifics, the store we ordered it from gave us $200 back for our troubles.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-10-10, 18:27

I was really hoping to see more on this front by now. I’m not even hearing crickets at this point though.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-10-15, 14:56

Seems someone put a video of this on an iPad and shared it. One of the cool parts is the icon at the start of the recorded video shows you what it detected as triggering the motion recording. This is a really cool feature for sure.

Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2020-06-28, 19:39

I just ordered 3 Arlo Ultra cameras which can use HomeKit Video. I know when they first came out these things were an abomination but after the re-release and some major software updates, I've seen nothing but great reviews. The battery power pair with the solar panel charger is a major sell. Was going to go with Nest but I figured I'd go ahead and try these.

Might get the doorbell too if I can fish my doorbell chime box wire out from in the wall....

Might just be easier to cut out a small piece of drywall from the wall behind it and fish it out that way. The refrigerator is right there anyway so it wouldn't really matter.

@yontsey
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2020-06-30, 21:17

Just got my cameras today but didn't get the mounts yet that I want to use them with. They came with one, but need them for the other two. I set up all the solar panels and one camera so far. I have all the cameras connected and registered to HomeKit. The one that is set up works amazing. All three pop right up in the HomeKit app but I have 2 turned off until I get the other mounts. Super easy setup process. Work flawlessly. Time will tell how they work out and how the solar panels work out. The batteries came with around 50-60% charge. I charged the one to about 75% but it's now connected to the solar panel so I'm curious how well that will charge it.

@yontsey
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-07-01, 09:46

What kind of range do you get on these cameras? I'm thinking about getting a wireless/battery powered/solar camera for a certain view from my property but it is pretty far from my house. I'd need to put up an external AP and maybe even a directional one. Just curious how far you've been able to put one away from your house/network. I assume it is normal WiFi connected but how good are the antennas in the camera?

Ohh... one more question: is there an external URL that you can view the camera feed from when using HomeKit? So like if I want to share the URL with WeatherUnderground or something like that.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-01-22, 17:04

If you ever needed a reason to use HomeKit Secure video (or minimally a local only CCTV network) then this is the article.

A tech for ADT added himself to customer accounts (where he though the woman was attractive) to watch them be nude or even having sex. Sure this is one creep but this is where being connected outside of your real control plays in.

Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2021-01-23, 08:35

I’ve been running Arlo 4k’s since the summer and I love them. Have them powered via solar power. They run through HomeKit.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2021-01-23, 12:51

I’m ignorant of these things. How does home kit prevent one from getting hacked/spied upon?
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2021-01-23, 13:48

It doesn't.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2021-01-23, 15:35

No security features at all, or just really weak?
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2021-01-23, 15:43

It's better than using a third party service, you take out the middle man, but the reality is if it is on the internet someone can hack it if they really want to.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-01-23, 16:26

:: laughs at PB BM's ironic t-shirt ::

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-01-25, 10:56

I would argue that it does mitigate most vectors. If you connect the cameras to remote services outside of your HomeKit local network then you are open. The article is less about hacking and an inside person adding their own credentials.

This isn't a problem with HomeKit or an internal CCTV setup. HomeKit allows pretty much anyone to do it while adding security into the mix. Sure if you give up your AppleID you will give access, otherwise it is pretty solid.

I can't argue that if it is on the internet it is hackable. All that takes is time and resources. Some less than others. I haven't spaced how HomeKit Secure Video connects from say your iPhone while out of the house to the HomeKit Hub to see the video. I'm near positive it if encrypted, but I haven't personally checked.

Personally, I've moved away from HomeKit Secure Video because no products came in time for me to fill my needs. I'm running and internal IP Cam network with VPN access now.