User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

Any MBP C2D reviews?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Any MBP C2D reviews?
Splutterbug

2006-10-31, 10:55

Making the switch from my ageing Windows machine (Pentium 3, and a monitor that makes everything look a nice shade of black).

I was waiting for the macbook upgrade but with pro upgrade last week I'm sold. My only question now is what do I get. I'm looking at getting the 2.16 and upgrading the hard drive to 160gb, my thinking is the RAM will be easier to upgrade later on myself than the hard drive would be (Is that true?). If I were to upgrade the RAM as well now I may as well pay the extra pennies and get the 2.33.

Also graphics cards, I was planning on the macbook and waiting for better intergrated graphics but now that I'm taking the plunge what can't I do with the 128mb card. I'm after using Final cut, photoshop, and playing around with after effects to learn but not use seriously, (would all of these run on a gig of RAM or would it be painfull).

Any help would be good or links to any reviews online yet, I hear the 160gb hard drive is perpendicular but I have no idea what this means or if it's a good thing!
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-10-31, 11:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splutterbug View Post
my thinking is the RAM will be easier to upgrade later on myself than the hard drive would be (Is that true?).
Yes.

Quote:
Also graphics cards, I was planning on the macbook and waiting for better intergrated graphics but now that I'm taking the plunge what can't I do with the 128mb card.
The 256 MB VRAM will hardly ever play much of a role, but do note that you absolutely can't upgrade that one later on.
Splutterbug

2006-10-31, 12:03

Thanks you've put my mind at rest and my bank balance in chaos
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2006-10-31, 12:26

Now, I dont have any experience with a MBP but I do have a PB G4, and they are very similar (as far as ram installation, ect). RAM installation is a synch. From what I have heard about upgrading HDD's though, I wouldnt touch it with a 10 foot pole. If you are worried about the video card too, get the best one you can because like Chucker said, you cannot upgrade that.

BTW, Welcome to AppleNova!!!

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
Splutterbug

2006-11-01, 06:24

Cheers guys I'm going to go with the hard drive updrade on the basic model. If I can put up with a P3 384mb Ram and a 32mb Geforce2 graphics card for about 6 years, I'm sure whatever I get is going to feel like a hell of a lot better and I really won't be needing top top end.