MC 1.0: The New World

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
MC 1.0: The New World
Page 5 of 5 Previous 1 2 3 4 [5]  Thread Tools
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2011-12-04, 03:15

JTA -- the image link doesn't work... You should be able to find BBcode on flickr to copy and paste into a post.

On an unrelated note: the exterior of the new postoffice is done. It is based upon post offices of the 1930s/40s. 709 contributed design accents, to be sure.

I will be working on the interior tomorrow, and will post a thread once it is open for use. There seem to be 32 people on the white list. That's a lot. How much wiggle room for growth do you think we need. The post office can hold in its top two floors maybe 42 boxes, but it is an uncomfortable fit in spots. Suggestions?
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-12-04, 16:39

So rather than clutter up the Map thread I'm posting this here. Two snow biomes have been found. bb found and posted the first and the second I found by forcing the map generation at home. Map is currently getting uploaded but will take some time to get loaded. It's about 6GB all by itself.

mc.applenova.com/overview

The url will work when it's finally completely uploaded.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
billybobsky
BANNED

2011-12-04, 17:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobsky View Post
JTA -- the image link doesn't work... You should be able to find BBcode on flickr to copy and paste into a post.

On an unrelated note: the exterior of the new postoffice is done. It is based upon post offices of the 1930s/40s. 709 contributed design accents, to be sure.

I will be working on the interior tomorrow, and will post a thread once it is open for use. There seem to be 32 people on the white list. That's a lot. How much wiggle room for growth do you think we need. The post office can hold in its top two floors maybe 42 boxes, but it is an uncomfortable fit in spots. Suggestions?
Post office rooms are up. The first floor lights etc need to be built -- I think I am going to wire the switches for the individual boxes to redstone torches outside to indicate presence of new mail instead of having a separate switch.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-12-04, 17:40

I like that. Thanks bb!
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-12-04, 23:50

BTW, Looks looks like -3067 78 196 is a great place to put a portal in the main map for the large son biome on the Western side (North if you look at the compass pointer).

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-12-06, 09:33

I've updated the map at mc.applenova.com/overview to be -5000 -5000 through 5000 5000 for those interested in taking a look.
billybobsky
BANNED

2011-12-06, 10:26

Mooshroom Islands!!!
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-12-06, 20:03

Right you are! I didn't even see them until you mentioned them. I'm updating the overview map right now to include the coordinates for you to be able to /tl directly to the islands to check them out.

Here are a few screen caps:

¡Damned!

2011-12-06, 21:25

I visited the large NE one earlier making an educated guess based on your overview map. 4000 70 -4300 landed me in the water a few blocks from the beach.

I lit up the red mushrooms, but otherwise it'd be nice if at least that one remained a Mooshroom Natural Preserve with no structures and no mining (and no killing, of course). In fact, I'm calling it that.

No baddies spawn on the mushroom islands, so there's no need for a safety hut.

So it goes.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-12-06, 21:33

Cool. Map is updating that I posted signs with the coordinates. Getting close to done...

And it's updated enough that you can see the signs for the three mushroom biomes.

Last edited by turtle : 2011-12-06 at 22:03.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-12-11, 21:23

Merry Christmas everyone!
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2011-12-12, 18:34

Good God... where do you people find the time to build this stuff??

Ultimately is the point of this game / community to see who can build the coolest shit (all of it by digging down right - so like where was the original "ground level" in this picture above? At the top of the structure?? Madness!)? Then other people go in there and look around, or is it an actual game? I saw the keyboard thing and I thought to myself "How many days of living did this guy put into that, which he'll never get back"?

Whass wrong witchoo, people?

...into the light of a dark black night.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2011-12-12, 18:59

Don't knock it 'til you've tried it, Moogs.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2011-12-12, 19:04

It's clear that Murbot has been spending a lot of time with Minecraft.
(It's Murbot, so you know it's NSFW)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0O6iajLG6I4

Bryson: I'm actually afraid to try it. Whatever level of productivity I have now will surely be halved by week's end. Since I work from home, no boss to threaten me... it's a bad situation based on seeing everyone else's addiction. I saw a video from some review that showed a guy bending a wolf pack to his will by giving them treats. Pretty frickin hilarious. Dogs were following him around, through water, shaking off, etc.

So all this stuff that's out in teh world... animals, boats, whatever... those were all made at some point by someone? Or is the world you inhabit at surface level already made and you just dig down to build stuff?

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-12-12, 19:10

Happy Hanukkah!

(We will be setting massive flames atop as the days progress.)

And Happy Holiday!

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-12-12, 19:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogs View Post
Good God... where do you people find the time to build this stuff??

Ultimately is the point of this game / community to see who can build the coolest shit (all of it by digging down right - so like where was the original "ground level" in this picture above? At the top of the structure?? Madness!)? Then other people go in there and look around, or is it an actual game? I saw the keyboard thing and I thought to myself "How many days of living did this guy put into that, which he'll never get back"?

Whass wrong witchoo, people?

I don't watch TV? Seems many Americans burn hours turning off their brains in front of the boob toob. So, I instead choose to engage my brain interactively/creatively with Minecraft.

Quote:
Bryson: I'm actually afraid to try it. Whatever level of productivity I have now will surely be halved by week's end. Since I work from home, no boss to threaten me... it's a bad situation based on seeing everyone else's addiction.
Give in to the dark side.

Quote:
So all this stuff that's out in teh world... animals, boats, whatever... those were all made at some point by someone? Or is the world you inhabit at surface level already made and you just dig down to build stuff?
Basically, yeah, the world is a procedurally generated terrain with deserts, swamps, hills, mountains, forests, and oceans, and it's up to you to harvest trees and mine stones and ores to build stuff. Animals spawn naturally, but you can capture them and breed more. Rarely you will find small villages with NPCs (that presently do nothing but wander aimlessly), and if you dig deep, you'll often encounter abandoned mineshafts with chests, minetracks, and wooden trusses.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
billybobsky
BANNED

2011-12-12, 19:21

Quote:
It's clear that Murbot has been spending a lot of time with Minecraft.
(It's Murbot, so you know it's NSFW)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0O6iajLG6I4

Bryson: I'm actually afraid to try it. Whatever level of productivity I have now will surely be halved by week's end. Since I work from home, no boss to threaten me... it's a bad situation based on seeing everyone else's addiction. I saw a video from some review that showed a guy bending a wolf pack to his will by giving them treats. Pretty frickin hilarious. Dogs were following him around, through water, shaking off, etc.

The world is approximately half terrain, half sky when you start. You mine to gather resources from which you can built. We aren't carving our creations out of earth (well, most of us aren't), we're building creations from mined bits of earth and the resources it contains.

The appeal is a combination of creative output and voyaging into dark parts of the world. Every once in a while we go all explodey and blow something up, but mostly we build, and dig, and build some more, but mostly dig.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2011-12-12, 23:24

Well I don't know if i can trust myself. I installed the Open Source Marathon the other day and I can't play for less than 90 minutes at a time. It's impossible. Heh. Still a great game after all these years.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-12-20, 10:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Is tonight the night we get to set stuff on fire? At what time shall the conflagration commence?
billybobsky
BANNED

2011-12-22, 17:08

So....

709's sheep seem to be tunneling through the fences internally, but even better they are tunneling out of the building altogether. I found a sheep hanging on the edge of the building three stories up. I had to kill it, for its own benefit, not my own of course.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2011-12-22, 18:15

Aye, fences + large numbers of mobs = buggy as hell. As anyone who heard my agonized cries in Loch Greene will testify. There's a reason I've skipped animal husbandry this time around.

Maybe they're quantum sheep?
¡Damned!

2011-12-22, 20:10

NOTCH!

Ugh. Looks like I'll replace the fencing with glass then.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-12-22, 20:34

I ended up putting my pens in the ground in hopes of keeping them in their breeding grounds.
¡Damned!

2011-12-23, 09:47

I may have to do that with the sheep as well. The plan was to have each color available for breeding, but I think the cages were just too small even for 4 sheep. Ah well, looks like the reed farm will go on the roof then - maybe move the pumpkins up there too.

So it goes.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2011-12-23, 09:51

To be clear, Turtle put his "PENS" in the ground, all you dyslexics.