User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » GamingNova »

MC: USS Enterprise (Constitution refit, movie-style!)

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
MC: USS Enterprise (Constitution refit, movie-style!)
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2015-10-04, 10:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
It's glorious, Brad.

I was only up there for a few minutes since I wasn't sure if it was 'officially' open yet, but holy hell what fun. You're not kidding about getting turned around... Didn't find the transporter back down, but I noped out of the shuttle bay when the computer said I may have asploded a warp core.

709 popped the cheery already? I knew I should've posted as soon as I finished last night!

But yes. The Enterprise is officially open for visitors!! Be sure to bring lots of food, though, because getting around the ship can take a while even for me, and I (generally) know how to get around. Get used to seeing these "turbolift" corridors as you travel between sections of the ship. You wouldn't want to starve to death inside one of these:

Here's the new entrance, in the bay near the amusement park. As you approach the insignia, there's a button and trapdoor at the base. Press the button, and jump inside to be transported away!

What are some areas of interest?
  • main bridge
  • auxiliary bridge
  • 4 standard personnel transporter rooms (functional!)
  • 2 large evacuation transporter rooms (non-functional)
  • LOTS of crew quarters... I'm not going to attempt counting
  • LOTS of different labs, workshops, observation rooms, and offices
  • main engineering with warp core spanning many decks
  • torpedo bay with two launchers (functional!)
  • shuttlebay (with shuttlecraft Galileo, elevators, and storage decks)
  • cargo bay (as seen briefly in the first movie, it's huge!)
  • brig
  • sickbay complex
  • arboretum
  • "recreation deck" complex (large meeting area from ST:TMP)
  • weapons lockers room (inaccessible! you can look but not touch)
  • engineers dining mess

Good luck finding it all. I'd be curious if anyone makes a list and tries, though!

As Grey found out, there aren't any transporters back to the surface, but there are four transporter rooms that will take you to other places on the ship. The only way off the Enterprise today is to jump! You can exit through the open shuttlebay, as Grey did, or you can abandon ship through one if five port doors: 1 behind the main bridge, two on the side of the cargo bay, and two on the sides of the torpedo bay (near main engineering). I might try adding another transporter button somewhere or reprogram one of the existing four later, but for now WYSIWYG.

If you exit from the port behind the bridge, please be careful! At night, there are a few spots on the saucer top that spawn baddies. Back when we were using Bukkit, I had an anti-spawning protection area around the ship, but that's gone now...

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
¡Damned!

2015-10-04, 16:19

You should really pop this over to a thread of its own, Brad. I HAVE QUESTIONS.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2015-10-04, 17:04

dunzo

Ask away!!
¡Damned!

2015-10-04, 17:18

Well, first and foremost, how many new 'sound' files should I be looking for? The transporter was an initial delight, and the warp core thing was a giddy bonus.

I'm going to take up the charge of checking off the 'POI' list, of course, because who wouldn't? It would be great to do it in a group if others are inclined. I'll hold off myself for a short bit to see if there's any interest.

So it goes.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2015-10-04, 17:23

Grey are you talking about a group tour?

Brad, if we do a group tour will it be okay for us to tunnel our way through the ship if we get separated from each other? We can try to put things back the way we think they were...

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
¡Damned!

2015-10-04, 17:24

Also, it's good that you mentioned here that the 'baddie barrier' wasn't in effect. I spent way too much time around the Biological Entity Testing Thing Room* looking for tubes or cages or whatnot that held any of the monsters I was hearing close by.

So it goes.
¡Damned!

2015-10-04, 17:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
Grey are you talking about a group tour?
I am. We haven't done one in a great while and it would be faboo.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2015-10-04, 17:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
Brad, if we do a group tour will it be okay for us to tunnel our way through the ship if we get separated from each other? We can try to put things back the way we think they were...

¡Damned!

2015-10-04, 17:33

Also, is there no way to get into the nacelles? I thought I'd find a janky ladder thing on either side of the ship, but did not.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2015-10-04, 17:40

Quote:
Also, it's good that you mentioned here that the 'baddie barrier' wasn't in effect. I spent way too much time around the Biological Entity Testing Thing Room* looking for tubes or cages or whatnot that held any of the monsters I was hearing close by.
Yep... **most** of the Enterprise was also preemptively put into a Mooshroom biome before we lost Bukkit, but it looks like I missed a few areas. That would have made the whole ship safe and could have allowed for some more interesting things with lighting.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2015-10-04, 17:41

Quote:
Also, is there no way to get into the nacelles? I thought I'd find a janky ladder thing on either side of the ship, but did not.
Negative... the pylons are too narrow in Minecraft for player passage.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2015-10-04, 17:43

Quote:
Well, first and foremost, how many new 'sound' files should I be looking for? The transporter was an initial delight, and the warp core thing was a giddy bonus.
Eeee!! I knew I would forget something. Right now, there are only two sounds: the ones you found. I wanted to add a third, but I forgot until your comment! If you want to wait up before exploring, that will give me time to add a third, maybe a fourth.

Quote:
I'm going to take up the charge of checking off the 'POI' list, of course, because who wouldn't? It would be great to do it in a group if others are inclined. I'll hold off myself for a short bit to see if there's any interest.
Heck yeah! Tonight would have been perfect, but it's probably too short notice given the light traffic these days. Maybe shoot for an evening later this week?

¡Damned!

2015-10-04, 17:51

How about Wednesday? 9EDT? Fun!

*whatever time works best for everyone. Late? Early? I have no idea.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2015-10-04, 17:54

I'd love to look around and see this thing as a group. Maybe I'll get to make Grey think he's drowned again.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2015-10-04, 17:57

Quote:
How about Wednesday? 9EDT? Fun!

*whatever time works best for everyone. Late? Early? I have no idea.
Count me in.
¡Damned!

2015-10-04, 18:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
I'd love to look around and see this thing as a group. Maybe I'll get to make Grey think he's drowned again.
I hadn't fallen for that in a while, so, well done. You got me.

Dick.
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2015-10-04, 18:51

Yay! I'll be there!
drewprops
Space Pirate

2015-10-05, 15:37

I'm a solid MAYBE, but I'm aware of this tour.

Shoot me a calendar invite.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2015-10-06, 22:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Eeee!! I knew I would forget something. Right now, there are only two sounds: the ones you found. I wanted to add a third, but I forgot until your comment! If you want to wait up before exploring, that will give me time to add a third, maybe a fourth.
Welp... so much for that! I've had to work late nights yesterday and today and couldn't make time for the additions I was considering. No matter; I'll be joining the tour tomorrow night anyhow.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2015-10-07, 11:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
torpedo bay with two launchers (functional!)
Just out of curiosity, has that been "updated" so it doesn't flame Grendagle's treehouse?

edit: Been on vacation for a week and a half. Did I hear someone say there's a tour tonight?

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2015-10-07, 19:34

Yes, be there or be square!
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2015-10-07, 20:02

I just got home! Getting online momentarily!
¡Damned!

2015-10-08, 06:38

Thanks again for the tour last night Brad! Amazing stuff.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2015-10-08, 10:17

Sorry I couldn't make it.

Too much going on. However, I did get a chance to take a self-guided (read: get lost) tour yesterday. Nice work, Brad.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2015-11-27, 13:19

I recently played with a bunch of map-processing programs to generate an overhead view of our world (to mark off trim areas for the 1.9 update), and I came across a funny thing in one of them. I had this years-old app on my computer that apparently renders transparent any block types it doesn't recognize. It gave me with this cool x-ray image of the mostly-quartz Enterprise:

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2015-11-27, 15:41

Aaaaaaand because I just love this thing, I made an animated GIF to reveal each of the decks. I skipped the tiny Jefferies tubes decks/rooms along the spine, but everything else should be there!

arteggio

2015-11-27, 17:54

That thing is insane… Have not yet explored it, but I look forward to doing so.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2015-11-27, 18:58

It's a great place to visit if you like getting lost.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2015-11-27, 22:49

Those are awesome Brad! I'm glad you took the time to do them and share them here. They are really cool looking. That is a nice place to get lost in. One day I might know it better if I keep getting lost in it.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.