User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

Is the Apple 20" Monitor Worth the Price??

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Is the Apple 20" Monitor Worth the Price??
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
holbox

2005-01-31, 23:53

As soon as Tiger comes out I've made up my mind to up-grade to a Power Mac Dual 2.0 Mhz G5. Should I try to save a few bucks and get something like a Samsung 19" LCD monitor at less than $400 or say "What the Hell" and blow $1000 on an Apple 20" monitor?

I really don't need the Power Mac - just want it! Have an iMac G4 now. The extra $600 won't break me for the monitor, but is it really that much better?

Am retired and enjoy playing with a computer and went to a Mac three years ago. It's such an improvement over a PC that it's a delight to fool with.

Would like to hear a few thoughts on the Mac monitor from you experts!
rasmits
rams it

2005-02-01, 00:30

In my opinion... it's too much. But I've said that before. The quality is pretty much the same no matter what LCD you buy.

But the Apple monitor matches, it uses DVI, and it has USB ports built in. It's up to you, but I'd choose the Samsung.

Last edited by rasmits : 2005-02-01 at 01:09. Reason: i cant spell
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-02-01, 00:56

There are cheaper 20" widescreens available, BTW. Dell makes one (the 2005fpw) and I think maybe HP or Gateway might too. They're all basically the same, with the only differences being the cases they come in. Obviously the Apple is the prettiest, but it also costs the most. The LCD panels themselves are all similar.
Rendition

2005-02-01, 10:14

Get a 2001FP, it works great with my Mini and with the frequent coupons Dell has you can get it for $500, which is 1/2 the price of the Apple 20" LCD.

Here's a review I wrote and 129 pages of discussion on the 2001FP:

http://www.firstadopter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=157
lewd0006

2005-02-01, 18:19

The 2001 is nice, but I wouldn't trade my 2005FPWs for anything. 20" widescreen.. its gorgeous!
SonOfSylvanus
Fro Productions(tm)

2005-02-01, 20:09

If you value the "whole widget" philosophy, prettiness, light-touch screen tilting and USB/Firewire hubs, seriously consider getting an Apple Cinema Display. If you are looking for portrait orientation capabilities, ultra-brite technology, vertical and side-to-side screen adjustment, or to spend as little as possible, get something else.

bouncy bouncy
Velauno

2005-02-10, 18:05

Re: Is the Apple 20" Monitor Worth the Price??

It may be at this price $795

http://dealmac.com/articles/79816.html

Jaime
drewprops
Space Pirate

2005-02-11, 00:40

Are the Formacs still popular?
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-02-11, 00:50

The Formac stuff recently underwent a redesign, and became incredibly ugly.

When I buy a display, it'll definitely be the Apple 20". But I'm just that way.
Jasoco

2005-02-11, 04:37

I LOVE my new 20" Apple display. Anything else doesn't match the computer you have and IMHO isn't worth the cheap price. A Mac just isn't a Mac without an Apple Display.

Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-02-11, 09:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasoco
I LOVE my new 20" Apple display. Anything else doesn't match the computer you have and IMHO isn't worth the cheap price. A Mac just isn't a Mac without an Apple Display.
You know what... as much as I talk up the low price and similar quality of various other displays from Dell or HP or whoever, I kind of agree with this. When I had a PowerMac I was so into hardware tinkering and upgrading that it seemed like my Mac wasn't completely a Mac. I had a Logitech keyboard and mouse, an NEC monitor, lots of internal hardware upgrades, Yamaha speakers... it just didn't seem enough like a Mac anymore. If you're going for cheap, you may as well get a PC and throw style and form out the window in exchange for pure function and price. But if you're style-conscious and have a lot of money to throw around, it's definitely worth it to buy a Mac, along with some beautiful matching Apple gear.

PS. In that case, Jasoco, you better replace your mouse!
Koodari
Veteran Member

2005-02-11, 10:56

Their biggest faults are price, only having one input, and only one axis of adjustment vs. many competitors' three axis and pivot. The biggest pluses are looks, Firewire hub (competitors tend to have USB hubs too) and widescreen - only Dell competes in 20" widescreens.

If the $600 Dell screens are available to you, then I think the Apple screen is not worth it period. In here you have to pay almost the same, no matter what 20" flatscreen you get, so the choice is a little more even. I find it hard to pass VGA, SVHS and composite inputs for no additional cost.

And if you are after good looks in a screen, personally I like Viewsonic pro series looks more than Apple's and you wouldn't need to give up the VGA connector when getting a Viewsonic.
nomorewindows

2005-02-11, 13:06

Quote:

Koodari, you make some valid points, but this setup is sweet. (Please note the required case of 'dew. Perfect!) Would love to see a shuffle in the metal finish. That would make this over the top!

"A synonym is a word you use when you can't spell the other." Baltasar Gracian

Last edited by nomorewindows : 2005-02-11 at 13:18. Reason: mispelled name
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-02-11, 13:12

Man, I really like that 20" display. It doesn't seem as top-heavy as the other two (mind you, I would own the other two in a HEARTBEAT). It just looks a little more even and balanced, while still offering plenty of size/resolution for the things most of us do.

I want one even MORE, after seeing this pic.

That is quite a handsome set-up there, with the mini beside the display. A nice rig that you should be quite proud of!
Koodari
Veteran Member

2005-02-11, 13:48

I agree that the setup is nice and everything fits together well.

Here's one of them Viewsonics if someone's interested, the VP201b at 20.1" and 4:3.
sk8008

2005-02-11, 14:10

I bought a 20" apple lcd a couple of weeks ago. My advice is buy one, you will not be disappointed. Fantastic resolution and clarity. As we all know they are not the cheapest, but hey you only get what you pay for! LOL!

After all thats we all buy Apple!

Cheers

sk8008
holbox

2005-02-11, 16:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8008
I bought a 20" apple lcd a couple of weeks ago. My advice is buy one, you will not be disappointed. Fantastic resolution and clarity. As we all know they are not the cheapest, but hey you only get what you pay for! LOL!

Cheers

sk8008

Well it's a mute point now!

I just couldn't wait.......I bought the whole deal from B&H Photo. It's on the road right now. Got the G5 Dual 2Ghz Power Mac w/ 250 hard drive, upgraded video card and 20" Apple monitor. Also got 2GB Ram coming from another source.
I'll be $3958.96 poorer, but what the hell!
Heck of a price to pay since I'm retired, 69 yrs. old and really don't do nothing but play with the fool thing. Do write a few columns but nothing that serious.
I did drive over to the Apple store in Tampa and look the 20" monitor over again. It does look better to my eyes and like one of you guys said it is an Apple. I'd have ended up feeling bad every time I'd have looked at another screen.
Second childhoods are fun! :smokey:
Franz Josef
Passing by

2005-02-11, 16:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8008

Cheers

sk8008
Yup, that's good advice. If I get a desktop, I think a 20" Apple LCD would be my choice
iasky

2005-02-11, 17:15

I did my dual G4 with a high end Viewsonic and I was disappointed the whole time (4 long years). My dual G5 got the Apple Cinema Display and it is sooo much better. Go with the Apple display!
Jasoco

2005-02-11, 22:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca
PS. In that case, Jasoco, you better replace your mouse!
Already did. With one of these:
http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/pr...CONTENTID=9043

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koodari
I agree that the setup is nice and everything fits together well.

Here's one of them Viewsonics if someone's interested, the VP201b at 20.1" and 4:3.
I don't like it and I'll tell ya why. It's not silver. I doesn't have an Apple on it. It has a green LED. It has buttons. And it has a sticker with birds on it.

Seriously, a Mac just isn't a Mac without an Apple display IMHO. Hell, if Apple made Cable Modems, 8 button and wheeled wireless mice, 4 port wireless routers, FireWire HD's, speakers (Whatever happened to those ball speakers?) and tablets, everything would be Apple on my desk.

Last edited by Jasoco : 2005-02-11 at 23:05.
Mass Appeal

2005-02-11, 23:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorewindows
Would love to see a shuffle in the metal finish. That would make this over the top!
Not exactly what you want but it's close.
Gregg
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2005-02-11, 23:46

I just picked up a Dell 20inch wide screen and it kicks ass. It was 2 months old and cost $350. Much better than 1300 for a Cinema display.
MCQ
Veteran Member

Send a message via MSN to MCQ  
2005-02-12, 00:47

How the heck did you get it for $350? That's an insane price... I'd pick up a used one at that price to add to my current one!
IonYz

Send a message via AIM to IonYz  
2005-02-12, 03:22

Bought mine at the original price and love it. Has a stuck (green) pixel in the middle. Don't notice it much. Otherwise its been great.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-02-12, 05:18

Have you tried gently massaging the stuck pixel, IonYz?
Gregg
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2005-02-12, 09:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCQ
How the heck did you get it for $350? That's an insane price... I'd pick up a used one at that price to add to my current one!
You would be amazed what people write off and throw away.
Koodari
Veteran Member

2005-02-12, 12:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by iasky
I did my dual G4 with a high end Viewsonic and I was disappointed the whole time (4 long years). My dual G5 got the Apple Cinema Display and it is sooo much better. Go with the Apple display!
This wouldn't have anything to do with how much flatscreen technology has advanced in four years, would it?
Honestly, I'd be surprised if a Viewsonic 23" and an Apple 23" were any different in picture quality. Same panel.
Koodari
Veteran Member

2005-02-12, 13:16

Quote:
I don't like it and I'll tell ya why. It's not silver. I doesn't have an Apple on it. It has a green LED. It has buttons. And it has a sticker with birds on it.
Fair enough. Those are all valid reasons to buy Apple.
I wasn't actually trying to convince you to switch your great monitor to something else.. just to show other guys that other monitors can look good as well. I'm thinking of buying one, and combining it with a nice IBM keyboard. They have that black "industrial" look too. :smokey:
SonOfSylvanus
Fro Productions(tm)

2005-02-12, 14:40

Can all you people with new Apple Cinema Displays, please respond to my thread:

Please Respond if you Have an Aluminium Apple Cinema Display (Pink Hue Defect)

There are lots of pics of a quite common (and easily dismissed?) problem here.

Thanks

bouncy bouncy
MCQ
Veteran Member

Send a message via MSN to MCQ  
2005-02-12, 16:18

That's a much more pronounced effect than I'd imagined. I'd be pretty annoyed if I had that.

I think I'll stick with my 2005fpw... working like a champ, and cheaper. I can't pay $300 extra just for aesthetics and fewer inputs.